666: The 2022 MPU Gift Guide

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I need to ignore this episode, it is likely to cost me.

12 Likes

I hear you! The number of links in the show notes alone is terrifying :joy:

1 Like

There is … a lot in there, haha. If it’s not a record, it has to be close.

4 Likes

I can attest to the (listed) Amazon.com: Anker 733 Power Bank as an excellent buy!

The only gift guide bearing the mark of the beast…

9 Likes

…checks episode number… yep, your soul.

5 Likes

I can’t get the eBay suggestion/link out of my head. I mean, why not have a Cube? Excellent reframing.

1 Like

What fitting number for an episode that might cost more then you are willing to sacrifice :japanese_ogre:, haha.

3 Likes

It’s only a 10,000mAh battery pack though? That seems rather low these days when you can get some that are 30,000mAh for a very reasonable price.

Care to respond with a link to an example of a product you have in mind?

I like your observation about weight. Take my following comment here not as a rebuttal. I’m simply being open. :joy::man_shrugging:

While bank size/speed/company is subjective to different needs and situations, I like the handy size of the 733 and that it works both as a reasonably manageable wall-wart - and - as a portable charging bank that I can throw into a backpack or laptop case.

1 Like

Great episode! I always look forward to this each year.

@ismh I second the short extension cords for travel — life changing! No more stress in the hotel room trying to crawl under/around furniture to find a plug that can work because the bedside plug is too cramped!

David: “We put up a Christmas decorations after Halloween.”

Me: Unsubscribes and cancels More Power Users membership. :joy:

J/K

1 Like

I really wish I had as much money as @ismh and @MacSparky

When @ismh recommended signing up someone for a year of Backblaze it reminded me of something my brother said to me when he gave me my first mobile phone back in 1990. “I know this gift is kind of like giving you a puppy” :grinning:

(Meaning it was going to cost me from then on)

3 Likes

Yes, me too. I bought one last month for both my wife and myself. It’s nice just having one heavy item in my pack rather than two.

Warning about Kindle gift. In the USA, the Kindle is a fine device to use when checking out eBooks from libraries. Last Christmas I bought one as a gift for my cousin who lives in Canada, It turns out that in Canada the libraries do NOT lend eBooks in Kindle format. Since that was a major use scenario for my cousin, this turned out not to be that great a gift.
I was really surprised by this gotcha. I mention it to save other from making the same mistake.

2 Likes

As a Canadian, I was not aware that libraries in the US lent out books in Kindle formats! :joy:

1 Like

Canadian libraries all use the same digital lending system? In the US, library systems choose a provider. Some (like Overdrive, the most popular one) do Kindle lends. Others, like CloudLibrary, only lend through their app or Adobe Digital Editions so don’t work on e-ink Kindles. Annoyingly, these library systems will claim their ebooks “work on Kindle” because the app can run on a Kindle Fire tablet. Getting into pet peeve territory…)