714: Catching up with John Siracusa

2 Likes

Looks like Siracusa does not use more than one monitor because otherwise, how can he make his apps stay in their own spaces/desktops?

1 Like

I, too, am curious about Siracusaā€™s monitor setup. Does he use more than one? How big? Manufacturer and model? Does he recommend it?

Itā€™s been a minute since Iā€™ve regularly listened to ATP, but I believe he uses a single Pro Display XDR.

1 Like

Just a single Pro Display XDR.

1 Like

Came up recently and as Stephen said, he uses one monitor.

with an infinite amount of open windowsā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s funny how completely immovable Siracusa is when it comes to his window management. Cracks my up listening to him on ATP talk about his numerous windows-per-app and countless tabs-per-window, while his cohosts make fun of him.

3 Likes

I took a look at the price of the Pro XDR, and now I need to lie down.

6 Likes

Like in other podcasts (ATP!) John Siracusa is hard to follow. His voice is not very suitable for a podcast (or any audio for that matter). He mumbles. Doesnā€™t articulate very well. In radio days that would be a no go for any host. With podcasts everyone can take the mic.

Oh, I think I understood every word.

3 Likes

I donā€™t find him hard to follow, but when he likend the monarchy debate in the Uk to that of gun control in the states I cancelled my ATP and rec diffs subscriptions and havenā€™t listened to either since.

Iā€™m not talking about understanding. This is about the use of his voice. On ATP too I notice quite a difference in loudness between him and the other 2 hosts. I may just be overcritical though. Especially for the current times. Longing for the days when a good, clear voice was a requirement to make it onto radio or television.

I understand your point, but on the other hand, it may be more beneficial to tolerate a voice thatā€™s less polished or clear if it offers valuable content that might have been overlooked otherwise. Iā€™m willing to compromise on voice quality in exchange for higher-quality content overall. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Johnā€™s voice is part of what makes him appealing, but I like the nattering nerd schtick in general.

2 Likes

He talks extremely fast. I even checked my Overcast settings because I thought I might have inadvertently changed the playback speed.

1 Like

Iā€™ve done the same thing. :rofl:

1 Like

I think Siracusa is brilliant. I like his voice, heā€™s very knowledgeable, good at explaining complex ideas, and I enjoy his cheerful contrarianness. ā† may not be a an actual word but you know what I mean.

8 Likes

Well, if it is not a word, it should be! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There are well-known and well-respected persons in the Mac and Tech scene I skip every time they appear on a podcast. I will not name anyone. We all are different and have our favorites. We do like some others donā€™t and vice versa.

John Siracusa for me: I will not miss one single episode when he is a guest. This episode was no exception: it is interesting, enjoyable and fun to listen to.

7 Likes