Ads Blocker - Which service you prefer

For any browser but safari I recommend ublock origin. It’s open source and very powerful.

For safari, either wipr or 1blocker works well.

1 Like

I’m wondering whether as blockers are stil necessary with the new security enhancements by Apple in iOS 15?

I use 1Blocker including their Firewall feature, which also causes a lot of issues with web pages and apps.

So I’m wondering if third party blockers are necessary with the new implementations in ios15?

1Blocker especially causing problems for me on Mail for iOS and iPadOS as it won’t let me view images and thumbnails in Mail.

At home I use the build in ad blocker in my hardware firewall (Firewalla Gold). I use a pi-hole on the guest network. Also have a pi-hole in a docker container on my travel router for when I travel.

On the road I use AdGuard Pro on iPad and iPhone

I use Brave Browser in pretty much the toughest configuration as a standard browser.

Set App had Ad Guard in their Mac bundle. It doesn’t seem to work all the time. However, it works often enough to make a huge difference.

I am going to extend my Set App subscription to include iOS precisely because having Ad Guard on duty is like a breath of fresh air.

Or you could buy an AdGuard lifetime subscription for just $19.99 once:

(Bought the family variant for $29.99 some time ago myself)

1 Like

I could do that too but there are other apps which I’d like to use on my iPad like Ulysses.

Thanks!

I use Pi-Hole at home and have done for ages. Have it set up as the DNS provider on the router, so no need to change settings on each device.

I can’t remember who recommended it here, but NextDNS is a good service, I ended up installing this and using on my devices when I was visiting family for a few weeks and didn’t have access to Pi-Hole.

I was a happy NextDNS user on iOS 14, but they currently have some issues on iOS 15 (which I hope they can fix, but they claim Apple needs to do that):

• incompatible with Mail Privacy
  • incompatible with iCloud+ Private Relay

I am also a happy NextDNS user and highly recommend it. I was going to upgrade to premium but the free plan is sufficient for me. I have not hit those limits yet.

It seems the issues are impacting other DNS services as well such as Adguard.

Therefore, this maybe something that only Apple can fix. Either way, hopefully that happens soon.