Ads Blocker - Which service you prefer

Anyone have experience with the Eero plus ad blocking? I just bought one using the discount code that gets you a sub of it for free.

No, but I also use a(n ASUS) router based solution at home:

Nice thing about a router based setup is that it works for all devices in the house (disadvantage: but only in the house, unless I set up a VPN to that router - which I do have, but commercial VPNā€™s are much faster).

FYI I see that Adguard for Safari is free in the Mac App Store. I havenā€™t tried it yet (I have been alternating between 1Blocker and Better Blocker) but I just downloaded it and will be trying it out this weekend.

same configuration here :smiley:

Alternating between 1Blocker X and Firefox Klar/Focus (app name depending on the market). I canā€™t notice the difference in real life - did someone come across a recent comparison?

What are people using to block ads and trackers nowadays? I have tried both AdBlock Plus and Ghostery. Iā€™m running High Sierra (my iMac can go no further) and Safari 12.0.1.

Hi Diane

Iā€™ve been using Adguard for a couple of year now and itā€™s brilliant. It works by filtering your internet traffic eliminating ads before they even get to your browser and the same for trackers. You can also switch on the Web Of Trust extension which will block malicious and dangerous websites. It also filters out any ads from Skype or other chat programs.
https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

Cheers,
Russell.

ĀµBlock Origin on Safari and Chrome, 1BlockerX on iPhone/iPad. Internet without ad blocker is a sad and noisy place these days.

Thanks for the replies. I got Wipr on the Mac app store and it seems to have returned peace and sanity. I was being tormented by ads for a jacket with a raw meat print, clicked to not show the ad again and it still kept coming back. If thatā€™s the way advertisers behave itā€™s time to retaliate.

Where have I been all this time? 1Blocker X makes me want to use the web again.

My wife and I had been getting hyjacked by the amazon full page ads. I installed Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS) on the home router which I think stopped the amazon full screen pop ups.

Hi if you trust Adguard why donā€™t you try the DNS setup ?
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

I use adguard dns and Better on safari.

check epic browser maybe https://www.epicbrowser.com

Sometimes it is necessary to turn off AdGuard ā€“ e.g., when it aggressively blocks video feeds on legitimate news sites. Is there a way to whitelist or toggle off AdGuard DNS?

The Adguard DNS filtering follows your Whitelisting rules in the application according to their AdGuard DNS page under Customize Filtering. So you add an exception (add to whitelist) then undo that action later.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been fairly happy with the ad blocking Iā€™ve got through Eero Plus but I am curious how others feel about it?

uBlock origin. On safari. 1Blocker legacy on iOS

Slightly off-topic but I installed Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi and eliminated most ads across all devices.

2 years later and I cancelled my Eero Plus subscription. Partly because their ad blocking seemed to no longer work and its a complete black hole of what its doing. Additionally any site incorrectly blocked or no longer working had no way to whitelist.

I too have moved on to using a PiHole and have been fairly happy with it.

Iā€™ve been enjoying NextDNS for encrypted DNS and DNS-level ad blocking. This is especially nice since encrypted DNS is standard on Big Sur and iOS 14. Itā€™s free for 300,000 queries/month or $20/year for unlimited queries. As it is DNS-level ad blocking there is no cosmetic filtering in the browser, so youā€™ll still want a browser extension for that.

1 Like

Slightly off-topic but I installed PiHole (Raspberry Pi based DNS catcher). I configured it in combination with CloudFlare family DNS (1.1.1.3). It is set as DHCP server, which allows zero-config on the clients.

What browser extensions for that do you recommend?