Affinity 2.0 released!

…and may or may not be a good idea if you’re planning on selling the house in the short term. :slight_smile: That’s one of those things you do if you’re intending to stay there for a long time.

I can’t think of an example right offhand, but I would think that at some level in the physical world, disabilities start contradicting one another. One person needs something heavier, another person needs it lighter, one person needs it thicker, one person needs it thinner, etc.

One of the great things about software is that something can be (for example) either bigger or smaller, depending on settings - but making that happen takes some significant work. Even with something as simple as “increase the text size on this e-reader”, I’ve seen lots of weird edge cases with the rendering where a book that’s perfectly fine at one size has a weird glitch at a different size / spacing / margin / etc.

It is worth noting that the V1 apps will still get

2 Likes

Serif is the photography company I most enjoy supporting. Thanks for highlighting this blog post!

Having just attempted to create a poster in Photoshop which took ages, no native keyboard shortcuts worked, workflow required googling every time , “how to…” and then creating a second poster in Affinity, which went easily and quickly, I do not know why anyone on a mac would want photoshop.

1 Like

I hear what you are saying. I’m a fan of Serif’s Affinity apps. But perhaps it would be better to say, “I do not know why anyone on a Mac wouldn’t want Affinity!”

(There are, after all, lots of of reasons people do use or have to use Photoshop. :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

I’m deep into Affinity Designer, but seriously, Photoshop is one fantastic tool once you get over the (still quite steep) learning curve. I took college classes to learn the basics and have followed on with online learning and events for almost 20 years now. I’m starting to get the hang of what I need it to do for me :slight_smile: Getting real fast at common operations too, more so than Affinity Photo.

However, when working in Affinity Publisher, it is a real convenience to have Affinity Photo and Designer both in there, esp. on the Mac.

1 Like

What bugs me are simple things like ctrl+a and ctrl+e and cmd+a simply not working. Muscle memory runs deep

I’m pretty sure you can remap those shortcuts in the Settings section. By default, even Cmd-Q or Cmd-H doesn’t work as expected on Mac, so I changed those. I perform those tasks way more than whatever Adobe had assigned.

1 Like

That’s my argument against non-native apps. It constantly annoys my how microsoft does spell checking and also no keyboard shortcuts work; but I digress.

1 Like

YES! A good craftsman always blames the tool!

1 Like

Only people who can’t just move (designers in agencies) or don’t have time to learn new software. Plus, when you are using it for decades it’s hard to let go of Photoshop. It took me a long time to get used to Affinity Photo since they have different ways of doing things. With Affinity Designer, it was easy that I no longer use Illustrator after 20 years of using the app.

2 Likes

Yes he does! For only a craftsman knows when a tool is truly awful.

1 Like

You mean it isn’t?! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

It’s better than Excel.

1 Like

They still have an abacus :grin:

1 Like

Have to say that I’ve used affinity designer to produce all our Christmas literature and it’s been great. It’s opened all my photoshop and illustrator docs perfectly. I have an old machine and it’s pretty zippy too.

Kudos to Affinity

2 Likes

Affinity today extended the 40% off deal until Jan 25 (it was Dec 14 previously):

We’ve been so blown away by all the support that we’ve decided to extend our launch offer to give everyone who hasn’t had the chance some more time to get Affinity V2 for 40% off.

Get individual apps for only US$40.99 on desktop or US$11.99 on iPad, or get the Universal Licence (all apps, all platforms) for just US$99.99. The discount will be available until 25 January 2023, so if you’d prefer to take a free trial before buying, there’s still plenty of time to do that as well.

2 Likes