Airmail Subscription

https://learnomnifocus.com/appcategory/mail/

1 Like

Same here. I’ve bought several plugins and am slowly figuring them out. They are really good though so I’m hopeful.

I’ve used Canary and really like the UI, but it was buggy causing me to lose data at one point so I couldn’t rely on it.

I paid because I’m using it as my main mail app for personal mail, and I was too stressed to worry about switching back to the stock Mail app. I do really like Airmail for powering through a lot of email and their Things integration. But… really frustrating.

For me, it’s the only “power” email app that supports Notifications from VIPs only. If Spark added that…

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

I used Airmail for a while now, always thinking that maybe someday I might need all those cool features. But I never did, so goodbye Airmail.

I wanted to join the Airmail lifestyle but I had several very strange bugs and it never really improved for me. I’m getting increasingly turned off third party iOS Mail apps and at this point I’m just using Apple Mail again. Emails that need one of my Mac automations just get flagged and archived. Then I deal with the flags at designated email time back on my Mac. Not perfect, but I’ve wasted so much time on frustrating third-party apps over the years.

13 Likes

@MacSparky did you give up on Dispatch? I am bugging the developers for some info but so far no word on whether or not it is still in active development. It makes me sad.

I have a strict policy. If any app goes subscription I delete it.

4 Likes

Dispatch seems to be dead. i’d love for that not to be the case but Apple Mail is no slouch either. It’s missikng some power user features butI get around that with SaneBox … and it’s rock solid stable.

What I liked most about Airmail was the color coding of mails. I have 9 mailboxes to keep track of, some work related, some private or for side businesses. Back in my jailbreak days there was a tweak for that on iOS, but I don’t jailbreak anymore. On macOS this always was lacking.

I also really enjoy their avatars that they embed in the cell for each mail along the subject and a short preview. For most of the public services and companys (amazon and other online shops) they magically make best guesses. It’s a great feature, if you ask me, as it helps to quickly go throught the inbox and sort.

Spark comes close in looks, but lacks the avatar feature.
Apple Mail’s avatars would require a lot of work, as I would have to set them manually for all “contacts”. I honestly don’t want a amazon contact in my contacts.

Any other recommendations that exist on macOS and iOS?

Have you all noticed their other new app?

AIRMAIL ZERO FOR GMAIL

I hadn’t until this MacStories sponsor post:

https://www.macstories.net/sponsored/airmail-zero-blazingly-fast-gmail-triage-for-the-mac-and-iphone-sponsor/

Color coding is something that I like about Airmail as well. You can set up rules to color code messages to different addresses in Mail on a Mac. Won’t work in iOS, though.

Noticed it but Airmail cannot be bothered to provide a true comparison between that and the normal Airmail and therefore have left it to the public to figure out what the pros and cons are of each.

1 Like

I was using Airmail for several years, even ponying up for new versions, but eventually I gave up on it and eventually moved back to Apple’s Mail app. Several things I remember about Airmail: 1) it gobbled up memory alarmingly at times, 2) its integrations were OK, but of uneven quality, 3) occasionally crashing for no good reason.

(I tried Mozilla Thunderbird for a while, but while there’s a lot I like about it, it’s in dire need of an overhaul, and the integration with contacts and calendars is lacklustre.)

Apple’s Mail may not have many bells or whistles, but it’s pretty solid and doesn’t get in my way.

1 Like

I have a love/hate relationship with Airmail. I haven’t had the “no send” bugs I’ve seen others report, but I have had bugs. But the custom actions are essential for me. I have one that adds a task to Things, and includes links in the body of the task to open the original message in my choice of Airmail, Mail, or Postbox (I use Mail for work email on all platforms, and for personal email I use Airmail on iOS and recently switched to Postbox on the Mac).

The subscription is a non-issue for me. I don’t use notifications for my email, so push doesn’t matter for me.

1 Like

I’m with you. I’m back on Mail and expect to stay there. It is good enough and I can bcc Asana for work team related projects/tasks and I can easily drag and drop to Reminders (which creates a link back to the email) for my personal projects/tasks.

It seems the new model is in a bit of flux. On their website, under iOS, it looks like Push Notifications are re-enstated for users who’ve previously purchased Airmail. It doesn’t say anything about multiple accounts. Anyone still got Airmail on their iOS devices to confirm? (The subscription model is yet to be released on Mac.)

I’ve been thinking about what happened this week…along with some warning (either a pop-up a few months ago saying this was coming, or an email…since they know our addresses!) it would have been much better PR for Bloop to phase our the legacy version, and then release ‘Airmail 2’ or ‘Airmail Pro’ under the subscription model. I don’t think the pricing is all that steep…but their approach has turned me off.

1 Like

I never could really get comfortable with Airmail. I loved all the bells and whistles, but for some reason the app just didn’t have a comfortable feel to me.

The best third party app I have found is Spark. I really like that one a lot and have actually purchased the Mac version as well. Otherwise I would probably use Outlook on the Mac, but I just don’t like the mobile version of Outlook. It has a very juvenile feel with their UI which I don’t appreciate in a supposedly professional app.

The Yahoo Mail app is actually pretty good, but it has a $39.95/year sub to get all of the features. So that’s a deal breaker for s lot of people righ off the bat.

Anyway, if you haven’t tried it, give Spark a try. Nice app…good feature set…no subscription. It seems like a winner to me! And Readdle (the dev) is very well respected and very responsive if you have a problem.

1 Like