Airmail Subscription

I am on the latest iOS Airmail and notifications are non-existent

If you’re not on the subscription plan the app doesn’t deliver push notifications.

I was responding to funkydan2’s posting and link. It is an iOS version history on Airmail’s website

I so miss Dispatch. It’s still in my dock, mocking me. I even dove deep in G Suite to allow it as a dangerous app, but it’s time to take Dispatch to the farm in the country where it can play with all the other forgotten mail apps until the end of time.

Call me cynical, I forsee the Airmail gang making iOS 13 compatibility a feature needing a Premium subscription !!

1 Like

Unlikely. They’d have announced it by now.

I’ve now restored my Notifications, thanks to a Redditt posting tip. Go into Settings for each account and turn on Notifications.

2 Likes

There was a certain MPU episode that expounded the advantages of the stock Apple mail app, and that was enough for my to leave the clunky Airmail behind. I did like the custom tasks. I had one to forward to Evernote that I used constantly.

Since I have a several custom DNS domains and need robust server-side email rules, I decided to host my email accounts with G Suite. I switch between Apple mail and the gmail all the time. Gmail does the rules and has features like scheduled send. Apple mail has the nice interface and performance.

Airmail is another app that could have been something great. I think that they tried to be too much and lost their way.

Thoughts on Tutanota?

That’s a service specializing in encrypted mail, not an app that replaces Mail/Airmail (designed to work with multiple mail services)

Thank you for getting back to me. But why is Tutanota not an app that replaces Mail/Airmail?

Because we’re discussing apps which work with any mail service. Tutanota is a service whose app only works with its service.

1 Like

Every time I return to iOS Mail, the lack of share sheet infuriates me…

it’s 2019 and I cannot save an email in Fantastical from iOS Mail…

I ditched AirMail ages ago - some emails didn’t send, sync was unreliable, and the URL schemes are proprietary. @mikeschmitz recently published this excellent article at the Sweet Setup detailing the issues that iOS email clients have at the moment, which I highly recommend.

In short, after much headbanging and installing every single iOS email client under the sun, I asked myself the question, “Do I need email on my iOS device?” And I’m convinced that the answer is no. I can log into Gmail in a web browser if I’m desperate, but I only really need to check my email once per day from my macOS machine. And best of all, I can avoid the issues with incongruent URL schemes, mapping the “Archive” folder on one machine to the “All Mail” folder on another machine, poor decisions by app developers, privacy, and so on.

Now, if the developers of MailMate for macOS would be so kind to release a email app for iOS…

5 Likes

I refuse to Mail app for this one reason.

Apple mail fronting a google apps account as @majorgear said above works fine for me, but Ido not have to cope with the interdepartmental emails of a large company so I may not be typical here.

Does anyone use “divert” as opposed to “forward”? I use it to send mails to OmniFocus from specific rules as it removes th FWD: prefix and preserves the original sender which saves me a fair bit of time.

aaaaaaaaaaand I am back on Airmail on iOS.

Apple sets the bar so low with their stock Mail app (iOS and MacOS) that Airmail with all of its faults is still superior. The broken URL scheme for plainBody in the iOS version I workaround/fixed by adding a "<br>" action on the Drafts Basic Keyboard row and just use the htmlBody scheme. I paid them the $9.99 just to get a response to the URL scheme bug report, and I got one sentence. “plainBody is not supported for now.”. wtf

that said, the ability to get emails into omnifocus, fantastical, evernote, etc is important enough to just accept what the Airmail devs give us. until someone creates another Dispatch.

The ShareSheet in Airmail at least lets me reply through Dispatch, so I have access to my Fill-In snippets in my reply. I hope Dispatch survives iOS 13.

2 Likes

can’t remember the episodes but look into mail butler and mail act on.

Not happy with airmails roll out BUT I still think i’ll stay with airmail. I REALLY despise subscriptions but airmail may be one of the ones that makes it. The mac version really is excellent and has been really stable for me. The IOS i could take or leave it.

Amen to the last sentence, but unfortunately the developer (singular) apparently has all he can do just maintaining and improving the excellent macOS version.

1 Like