AirTags Use Cases?

And an airtag in any case is too bulky to add to my key ring. So the one I purchased to evaluate will live out its life in my checked bag.

I do not intend to sound harsh: If you do not see a use case for an AirTag, the AirTag is just not for you. :slight_smile:

The AirTag is NOT a device to

• silently track persons (no stalking device)

• track pets that have gone missing (we are talking about a Bluetooth device and not about a full-fledged satellite or mobile device with GPS tracking and a huge battery pack), there are different devices for that purpose

• hunt down criminals (not for law enforcement)

What an AirTag is designed to do:

• The AirTag is a device to recover lost items.

• You are able to find them if they are nearby.

• You are able to see the place where they have been when you lost them (so that you can look for them over there).

• You are able to determine their location even if you are not nearby as long as any Apple device even from strangers are nearby. This won’t help you in a forest or in other remote places. But if you lost your device in a remote place, there is a good chance that this is the last known location in Find My…

I have been a Tile user for several years and I switched to AirTags. They work just great. Their design is funny (they look gorgeous for a few days and after that they look like a device being in constant contact with your keys :wink: ). But my Tiles did not look good either…

As far as I am concerned, the AirTags have one single issue: some bloggers, YouTubers and “influencers” have built up so much momentum for use cases these devices never were built for. That is the Apple YouTuber way: link bait/sensationalism all the way.

To quote Apple:

And itʼs designed to protect your privacy every step of the way. (…) AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking.

And that cannot be done with an unobtrusive device that is silently transmitting its location to its master worldwide at all times. There are pet collars or electronic offender tracking devices for that.

To end like I started: I do not want to sound impolite or harsh. Really. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Worked for me, had one in my wallet which I left in the car made it much easier to find.

1 Like

Same here. I forgot my purse at home a week ago. I was not sure if I lost it or if I just had forgotten it at home.

Fired up “Find my”: my purse showed up being at home “now”. Peace of mind… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was reading on Reddit that the new Airtags update is notifying people within 30 mins that they are with a Airtags. One person said there girlfriend drove a set a keys 15 mins away from there house with an Airtags on it and they got notified the tag was there. Anything like this happen to anyone else? Seems like the anti stalking features might be too quick to notify people. I’m not sure looking to see what other people think.

I LOVE the idea of hiding it on your bike so you can find it.

I HAD to get just one– for my keys!

Asking here because I’m too lazy to conduct a thorough experiment. Do I need to put an AirTag on my laptop bag if my MacBook is inside? Do MacBooks ping the “find my” network (when closed in a bag) making the AirTag redundant?

One would think so however my initial observations indicate the MacBook can’t be located in the above scenario.

In catalina they introduced find my even when sleeping, not tested it though.

I’m outside of Chicago. Filing an insurance claim makes a lot more sense than dealing with criminals.

It’s rather amazing that they don’t try to hide it!

1 Like

This isn’t necessarily true. Newer iPhones (12 and up I think) can be found even if “switched off” or with a depleted battery. I’m not sure about iPads.

Really? My brain has a hard way of comprehending how that’s possible

2 Likes

My daughter left her phone in an airport once. We set it on lost mode and set it to call me. After it was passed around from cleaning person to gate attendant and ultimately to a pilot. I called the phone and the pilot happened to be returning to my city. Met him at the airport and got the phone back. That was a great experience.

As a bonus, the phone had a map on it of the circuitous path it took to return home.

4 Likes

I just purchased a somewhat expensive road bike, which is stored in the basement of my apartment building. I immediately got an AirTag for it. But as the bike is mostly stored there and I rarely leave it out and about the purpose of the AirTag is now less clear.

For example I need to get notified if it has left it’s position. So I deleted my house as a safe location.

But my question then is, I won’t be notified if it disappears when I’m not home, right?

I get a notification that I have left it behind when I leave my home in the morning. But this is not the case if it disappears from my home when I’m not home, right?

I hope that makes sense. Anyone got an idea of how to change this?

Is it possible to set a shortcut that will notify you if the AirTag leaves a geotagged area?

1 Like

Uhhh, that sounds delicious. Just had a look and I couldn’t find any built-in actions in Shortcuts to support this

Sorry. :face_holding_back_tears:

20 characters of flagulation

1 Like

When I moved across the country and drove, here’s how I used my AirTags:

• (1) Car
  • (1) Backpack w/computer gear
  • (1) My fiancé’s wedding dress bag
  • (1) Camera bag

I still keep one in my backpack, car and camera bag. The other is now a floater.

Dave

3 Likes

You can´t really use it as a “Theftprotection” as on one hand the possible locations of the AirTags are today well known to potential thefts, so they would most probably just leave your AirTag for you future use behind. On the other hand, every theft will be informed about the AirTag very soon, so even if they are not aware of it, they will be within a few minutes, to get rid of it.

Yes. I am well aware of this. Actually I just use it on the race bike, because if it does get stolen then I’ll be notified and can alert my insurance quicker. Otherwise maybe I wouldn’t be notified for a week. Believe me I have better things to do than run around town for missing AirTags :wink: