All Good Things

Dear MPU Community,

After nine years and more than 450 episodes, the time has come for me to say goodbye to Mac Power Users.

Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the success of this podcast or the opportunities it would create. I would not be where I am today, personally or professionally, without this show. I owe a debt of gratitude to our sponsors, listeners, and most of all, to my co-host David Sparks. You have lived with me through life, loss, new homes, careers, and nearly every other significant milestone. Throughout it all, MPU has been there.

To everything, there is a season. I’m turning to a different season in my life. December 31st will mark my last episode of Mac Power Users. I have not come to this decision hastily, it’s something David and I have been talking about for several months and the end of the year seems a natural time to wrap things up.

The show will go on. We are pleased to announce Stephen Hackett will be the new co-host of Mac Power Users with David starting in January. I can think of no one better. Stephen is passionate about the Mac platform, and I am confident leaving knowing that the show is in good hands with David and Stephen at the helm.

As I close out the show, I’m going to take the opportunity also to step away from my online presence. Some of you may have noticed I have already started this process by backing away from social media and my website. I want to assure you that all is well. As much as I have enjoyed spending the previous nine years with all of you, I’ve never really been comfortable living so much of my life online. I’ve got some exciting things happening in my offline life, and it’s time for me to turn my attention to other things.

Thank you for the opportunity of a lifetime.

With best wishes,
Katie

We’ve decided to share this news with the MPU community first. There will be an announcement on the next episode.

88 Likes

Thank you Katie for the wonderful shows you’ve given us over the last 9 years. You will definitely missed, but I wish you all the success in all of your endeavours in the future - personal and professional.

And congratulations to Stephen Hackett as well!

23 Likes

This is exciting, if sad (for us) news @katiefloyd! While we will certainly miss your presence here and on the show, I’m so glad to hear you’ve got new and exciting things in the works. Best of luck with your future endeavours and I hope you can pursue those knowing that you’ve left an indelible impact on the work and lives of many fellow Mac Power Users! :smile:

Onward and upward!

7 Likes

Oh, @katiefloyd! This news is bittersweet.

On the one hand, it saddens me to hear that one of the most listened-to voices in my personal podcast-sphere will disappear - gone will be the snark, the sobering balance when David goes off in some whacky direction, the methodical explanations…

On the other hand, the belief that something so great is happening in your life that it outstrips anything that MPU and its audience could give you makes me very happy for you.

Thank you for your years of dedication and patience. Thank you for your thousands of written words of useful information.

Good luck, and Godspeed in all your new ventures.

22 Likes

Sorry to see you leaving, but wishing you every happiness in your future. You will be missed. For all Stephen’s passion and expertise, you leave a big pair of shoes to try to fill.

Good luck and welcome to Stephen as well - not that he is exactly a stranger here!

6 Likes

@katiefloyd it’s been great listening to your insightful advice and wit these past years. Thanks for all your hard work making a great podcast with @MacSparky! Hopefully you can come back as a guest one day.

Best of luck in all that you do and your Trek references will be missed!

4 Likes

Best wishes on your new journey.
My Monday commute won’t be the same.

5 Likes

Kind of sad news.

Should remind us to take nothing for granted and enjoy every single of this great MPU shows.

Thank you for over 450 awesome episodes, Katie, and best of luck for your future life, LLAP :vulcan_salute:!

4 Likes

Oh wow. This is very sad news. I think MPU was the first podcast that I listened to, and have listened to for as long as I can remember. You will be sorely missed, Katie.

Although I have no doubt Stephen will be a great co-host, it nevertheless saddens me to lose one of the all-too-few women’s voices in tech podcasts, especially on such a prominent show.

17 Likes

You’ll be much missed, but I’m happy to hear that there’s lots of good stuff going on for you.

Thanks for your contributions here.

2 Likes

I’m very sad to see you leave, Katie. You and David have been a constant in my life for the past eight years and your presence will be missed. Thank you for all the work you’ve put into making Mac Power Users such a great podcast. Stephen will have some awfully big shoes to fill.

3 Likes

I am really sorry to hear this news. Excited for you if you have pastures new to visit, but sad for me that you won’t be part of MPU. The main reason MPU is my favourite podcast of all is the rapport between you and David. Good luck with all you have ahead.

6 Likes

I’m a relative newcomer to the MPU universe, but I have always enjoyed your down to earth counterpoint to David’s enthusiasm :slight_smile: Have a wonderful, fun, and safe (but not too safe) journey where ever your road takes you!

4 Likes

Thankful to have had the opportunity to hear you weekly on MPU on Mondays every week! I really appreciated your point of view and hearing your personal workflows. The next few episodes will be bittersweet. Sad news but happy you have some new directions to go in your life.

Love your nod to TNG in your post title!

Please do consider coming back to MPU for an episode or two as a guest so we can catch up on what things you are up to.

Best wishes!

5 Likes

Thank you @katiefloyd for all the thousands of hours of time you’ve given this podcast. Like others, I’ve enjoyed your contributions to this show for many years, though I am happy to know that you have big 2.0 plans. The chemistry you bring to MPU is special, and you’ve always been that firm hand on the tiller to David’s full press of sail. These equal partnerships are rare and wonderful - the podcast world’s versions of Spock and Kirk, Aubrey and Maturin, Mulder and Scully. Thank you again for the voyages. Godspeed!

4 Likes

How exciting! A new beginning for you.

Best wishes for whatever is next for you.

4 Likes

I’d only second the voices of everyone here that Katie will be sorely missed. When we first started MPU, people told us we were crazy, but we did it anyway. I have to admit that once Katie made her decision I was … well … sad for a bit but I do know Katie has some very exciting things going on in her life that are most certainly bigger than MPU and in that endeavor, I wish her the best of luck.

I know this is cheating a bit, but I also get to keep having conversations Katie … just without microphones. :wink:

Katie cannot be replaced, but @ismh is super excited to join the team and I think he’s going to bring a lot to the show.

26 Likes

I’ve got big shoes to fill, but I’m so humbled to have been asked to join the Mac Power Users! We are planning some great stuff for 2019, and I can’t to dive in. Thank you all for making me feel so welcome.

25 Likes

Thanks for everything you’ve done for the show and for this community! We’ll miss you!

2 Likes

@katiefloyd, I’ve been listening for a while and I will definitely miss your wit and counterpoints to David. It was always enjoyable to listen to you both weekly. Thanks for making the time for us for all these years.

I wish you well and take care.

2 Likes