Apple Credit Card

Hi there. I have a couple of more questions. Did anyone have to verify using their drivers license via camera? I ask because I am out of country and my new license sits back home in the states. Second question is, has anyone used an out of country sim during the process? I have two phone sims but I prefer using the out of country one. Thanx in advance for any responses.

nope, did not need my DL

I had to scan my D/L as part of the application process. Not sure if itā€™s because I normally use a middle initial but didnā€™t this time.

Apple just launched a Twitter account today for Apple Card, and as of this writing it already has over 8,400 followers.

https://twitter.com/applecard

@glenthompson - I can confirm that (at least in my case) that ONLY the TransUnion security freeze lift was required. I lifted the TransUnion security freeze, waited 1/2 hour, then applied and was accepted within a minute. Security freezes at Equifax and Experian remained in place.

I might add that TU has streamlined the process for lifting the security freeze. Several years ago a PIN, issued at the time of the initial security freeze, was required. This time there no PIN was requested - I was directed to open an online login at Transunion, answer a few questions, then select the choice to lift the freeze.

How to opt out of arbitration for your Apple Card account:

https://www.cultofmac.com/646694/how-to-opt-out-of-apple-card-arbitration/

Iā€™ve had it for a week. I think Iā€™ve earned about $1 too. The physical card came yesterday. I think itā€™s pretty cool and am working to get rid of my other cards.

2 Likes

It asked me to take a picture of my license. Then after I took the pictures it said it could not verify my identity and to try again or call a support number. Iā€™m guessing it was because I put something in wrong but I canā€™t imagine what, they just wanted my birthday and to verify my last 4 of my SSN. I tried a second time and it worked without asking for the pictures of my card and approved me.

But this was in the US with a US sim, so I canā€™t help there.

Iā€™d charged a few hundred dollars on the card this week and got my Apple Cash back about 24-36 hours after each transaction.

I noticed that despite having a September 30 due date for payment a ā€˜Pay Earlyā€™ option appeared in the Wallet app. So for funsies I clicked the button (which then disappeared), payment was confirmed, and the card turned white again in Wallet.

Received a call from Goldman Saks saying there was a problem with the approval process that they had fixed. Told me to reapply. Worked this time. Had an issue with the driver license scan so moved to a different surface with different lighting and it took it.

Interesting article in todayā€™s Washington Post, comparing a typical credit card (in this case the Chase Amazon Visa card, which until the Apple Card was my primary card for most purchases) to the Apple card.

It drives home the privacy aspect of the A.C. that makes it a compelling option.

"Despite a federal privacy law covering cards, I found six types of businesses could mine and share elements of my purchase, multiplied untold times by other companies they might have passed it to. Credit cards are a spy in your wallet ā€” and itā€™s time we add privacy, alongside rewards and rates, to how we evaluate themā€¦ When I used my Visa, Chaseā€™s privacy statement reserves the right to share my data for seven different kinds of reasons. The most appalling category is: ā€œFor nonaffiliates to market to you.ā€ Who are ā€œnonaffiliates?ā€ Whoever the bank darned well wants. The term just means a company not owned by Chase. Chase would not tell me the specific data it shared from my card or the companies it shared it withā€¦ This is where the Apple Card is different. In the Goldman Sachs privacy statement, its answers to most kinds of sharing is ā€œno.ā€ Goldman still shares information with credit agencies about whether you pay your bills. But it says it doesnā€™t feed transactions to marketers or a sister company that mines card data."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/08/26/spy-your-wallet-credit-cards-have-privacy-problem/

1 Like

Ordered this non-leather wallet on Amazon due to the sensitive nature of the Apple Card :slight_smile: and so far Iā€™m happy with it. My last slim wallet cost me about $100 and should have been ditched years ago so Iā€™m game for $13

Interesting that he used a Apple to purchase a ā€˜nanner. Good way to get attention in the article. I have-to agree with most of what he pointed out. AC covers PART OF the concerns, but still seems to miss the general consumer preferred target. I see room for growth, which is always a good thing. :+1:t2:

Thanks for sharing the article bowline! A good read.

1 Like

Has anyone else had the card occasionally fail to process using Apple Pay? Itā€™s happened on maybe 5% of my transactions for mundane purchases like gas authorizations, pharmacy prescriptions and McDonaldā€™s coffee. Plenty of room on the card and I didnā€™t have any trouble with Appleā€™s Pay after switching to a different card. Iā€™ve never had MasterCard before so I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a problem on that network, but that seems unlikely.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using the card daily, in person and online, for a few weeks, and never had any processing failures. I was surprised yesterday when listening to the latest episode of The Rebound podcast and heard both Dan Moren and James Thompson note that itā€™s happened to them. So youā€™re not alone.

(Edit, it was actually John Moltz and James Thompson who had this issue, which you can hear at the 2-minute mark.)

1 Like

Just got my first ā€œstatementā€ on my Apple Card (`FYI, $20k limit, 12.99% interest, 810 credit score).

I had a $0.99 charge (iCloud), a $0.99 credit probably because they didnā€™t want to bill such a small amount, and $0.03 Apple Cash. So far this is a profitable venture.

3 Likes

That is interesting. It looks like I was wrong about the absolute structure regarding credit score vs interest rate / limit. I suppose they have some kind of formula / algorithm that involves new accounts, debt usage, etcā€¦ Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been meaning to share my experience with the Apple Card and I wanted to point out some things that I am really loving about it.

• Simple daily cash is great - Iā€™ve been using this for all my purchases and Iā€™ve gotten ~$400 in cash back so far. Every $100 or so I transfer it to my high yield savings account. This might be an indictment on my spending but I will defend myself in that we needed to furnish a home that we are renting out. I just used up all the ā€œpointsā€ I was banking with my credit union card and let me just say after 5-10 years of use it was underwhelming.

• Speaking of furnishings, Iā€™m surprised how many places do accept Apple Pay when you start looking. Even storefronts that donā€™t accept it in-store have an option in the iPhone app like Target & Best Buy. United Airlines was helpful too since I fly about once a month. Iā€™m definitely seeking out Apple Pay more than I was before - smart move Apple :slight_smile:

• Speed speed speed! Transactions post fast! Payments happen instantaneously and you can see it change your balance. The money comes out of my checking within one day. All of my other cards take between 3-5 days to post a payment and worse they take 3-5 days to even post a transaction. With one of my cards, I have to literally wait a week or more before paying off a balance. With Apple Card, I can buy something today and pay it off tomorrow.

• Along the lines of speed, do you track your expenses as closely as I do? Pending charges at gas stations and restaurants with a tip amount are usually posted the same day with and the correct total amount. This is a lot better than seeing a $1 fuel transaction sitting around for several days.

As with all things, there are some not so nice things so far. The benefits outweigh the cons and I hope some of these get fixed up:

• I wish my wife could be shared on this card. We donā€™t need two and it would be worse for balancing the books anyway - Iā€™m hoping this gets fixed within the year.

• Amazon is a major exclusion and my guess is they will never accept Apple Pay. I think of Amazon as the new Walmart, you hate them but you use them. Iā€™m trying to buy some things I usually get from Amazon from Apple or other retailers. Still. 1% isnā€™t bad.

• Itā€™s starting to drive me nuts when a store says they accept Apple Pay but their reader is down, or for some reason, it just wonā€™t work on their terminal. My closest wine and liquor store says they accept Apple Pay but Iā€™ve never gotten any of my cards to go through. The clerk said ā€œya it doesnā€™t work for a lot of peopleā€ and shrugged.

I hope this helps for anyone still on the fence

5 Likes

I went ahead and got one of the Amazon branded cards that gives 5% back on Amazon purchases. I only use it at Amazon (donā€™t even carry the physical card around with me) but I buy enough stuff from them and the percentage is high enough that itā€™s worth it.

5 Likes

Same here.

For most of my electronics and big-ticket purchases I still have been using my AmEx card because it doubles warranties (up to one year) and even offers credit for broken items within x number of days after purchase. (Though since I usually buy Applecare+ on my Apple gear, the Apple Card remains a better overall choice there.)

But I think that the Apple Card may end up getting even more use next year if this article is right about most AmEx cards losing a number of benefits next year:

ā€œAs of January 1, 2020, Amex will be making significant changes to their extended warranty and purchase protection: Amex will be reducing the extended warranty on most of their cards from two years to one year Some no annual fee cards will lose extended warranty coverage altogether Amex cards that currently offer purchase protection will see the eligible period be reduced from 120 days to 90 dayā€

2 Likes