Apple Fitness +

Apple’s page says, buried in the fine print:

• Apple Fitness+ requires an Apple Watch Series 3 or later. Available when paired with iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14.3.

but supposedly it’s possible on an iPhone:

1 Like

@machei My only complaint about Apple Fitness+ is that they don’t do enough to “take care of” people who are new to the practice. For example, even though I’ve done yoga off and on for 30 years, I still managed to hurt myself following Dustin’s class last week. I was trying to follow Dustin and I should have been following the newbie. But the camera is almost always focused on the teacher so it’s hard to see what the newbie is doing to modify the pose.

I really think Apple should focus the video camera on the newbie. Experts will know what the teacher is doing and they don’t need to see in order to follow the voice cues. But newbies definitely need to see the modifications. I’m worried that a lot of people will hurt themselves before they figure this out.

I wonder if they could offer a camera selection option to choose who to view?

1 Like

I definitely have to second this.

1 Like

I returned my AppleTV that I bought to use Fitness+ on my TV… the AppleTV brought absolutely nothing to the table that I wasn’t already getting on my SmartTV except the Fitness+ on the big screen. I even have the AppleTV app on the TV. I resubscribed to Just Dance 2020 for $25/year for my TV workout. I still have Fitness+ because it’s included with AppleOne but I doubt it will get used much until I start traveling again.

tldr; Apple puck is a low value device that needs features that I cannot get on my TV already like gaming and access to ALL apps before I will even consider it again…

I like fitness plus and have been using it on the Apple TV, today however tried to use it on the phone and it wouldn’t connect to watch - sat there searching.

iPad worked straight away. Very odd.

I think the value proposition is different if one already has a “smart” TV or an existing Roku, etc. For those that don’t already have one of those though, it falls into the category of “a bit expensive comparatively, but it’s a native platform citizen for Apple”.

If one already has a Roku or something though, yeah - definitely less of a value.

We’re replacing our Roku stick with AppleTV, and the Roku is going in my travel bag for Airplay purposes.

I meant “gaming gaming”… not just the phone games. :smiley:

Unfortunately, the available extra monitor that I have doesn’t have speakers, and once you plug in the Lightning to HDMI adapter, there’s no way (that I know of) to get the iPad to play the audio.

BUT I think I have a solution. There is a Mac store and iOS app called FastCast which mirrors audio and video from phone to TV. It’s not beautiful and it’s kind of laggy but it works in my testing. I’m going to try it for a Fitness+ yoga class later today.

What about a Bluetooth speaker? You should still be able to send audio to a Bluetooth device even when plugged into HDMI.

Hoo boy, FastCast was a big fail and it led to a kernel panic and hard crash of my iMac. Because I’m stubborn, I tried again after the kernel panic and was able to keep it running and have it mirror my iPhone screen. However, as soon as the Fitness+ video began playing, the screen went black except for a few icons that I could tell were coming from Fitness+.

@ChrisUpchurch The bluetooth speaker option is interesting. I have one in my travel kit, which I should dig out because I haven’t charged it since my last travel 10 months ago.

1 Like

I wrote up my thoughts on Fitness+ in this review. In short, I like it a lot.

-Jeff

2 Likes