Apple One bundle

And by bundling it, they can claim that Apple News has a larger number of subscribers - even if they’re subscribed by bundle and don’t use it.

Not sure if that’s actually useful anywhere in their marketing/PR, but worth noting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s the best News ever :grin:

1 Like

I am in the Premium-Plan-no-brainer category (USA). I do think the a-la-carte option to add more iCloud storage to the individual or family tiers is a nice touch as well.

1 Like

I agree completely. Jason Snell agrees as well!

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how many people pay for additional iCloud storage. I’ve probably assisted more than a hundred users over the years with their personal iPad/iPhones. And less than 5% of them ever paid for additional storage.

It’s amazing that people will pay $1000 for a phone yet refuse to pay $1 - $3/month to protect their photos.

1 Like

I’m definitely an outlier here. We have TV+ just because it came with some device purchases. We have iCloud Drive at $36/year for 200GB, but I’ve been considering switching to Dropbox (various reasons). Photos/videos are on various services and need to be consolidated.

At this point, our overriding concern is data caps. We’re on the road w/ limited data space. It’s really easy to eat it all up, and that happens fast if you are sending all your media and backups to the cloud. Not to mention streaming or downloading TV shows, movies, music, etc. And it isn’t really about affordability, it’s mostly just availability – incredibly hard to piece together mobile data plans that aren’t crippled at paltry levels.

So we won’t be jumping on this bandwagon. I have to admit I’m a bit surprised how many are just throwing down $360/year for the premier level though.

I’m very excited about the premier plan. It gives me an excuse to dump Dropbox and ultimately saves us some money. I think Apple is doing a good thing here, win for users (especially those all in on Apple products) and Apple.

1 Like

It took me almost 2 months of regular back and forth negotiating with a friend to get her to see the value in paying for iCloud storage for her busting-at-the-seams amount of photo storage she had going on. And she owns all the latest devices, thousands of dollars in equipment, but pay for an increased storage service? It was like pulling teeth.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find clarification on whether the storage upgrade is additive or not. I.e. if you get the “Individual” and get 50 GB of iCloud, and you pay the extra few bucks to get the 200 GB of iCloud, do you then have 250 GB of iCloud?

Or is it that you’re unhappy with the 50 GB plan and (essentially) forego that in favor of paying for the 200 GB iCloud plan?

Or is there a discount for the storage you already have?

I think the big differentiator is probably Apple Music. If you have Apple Music at the family plan rate, and use iCloud significantly, that’s most of the top-tier plan right there.

5 Likes

According to Gruber’s article, additional iCloud storage you purchase beyond what’s included in the bundle is additive:

Worth noting: According to the short FAQ at the bottom of Apple’s web page for Apple One, “You can purchase additional iCloud storage separately to supplement what’s included with your Apple One plan”. This includes, I am reliably informed, being able to purchase an additional 2 TB if the included 2 TB in the Premier tier isn’t enough for your family. (4K video clips add up.)

1 Like

I have the annual individual Music subscription, the 200gb iCloud storage plan, and a month or two left on the free TV+ trial. I might keep TV+ after the trial. I have not checked out Arcade and have not looked into the new Fitness service.

The Individual plan is tempting but I’d still likely need to pay for additional storage.

It would be nice if there was more flexibility in defining a “family” so I could share the services with a (adult) sibling without having to put them under my payment account.

You can!

Just be sure you don’t enable sharing for purchases.

I share subscriptions with my parents (including Arcade and News +), but not purchases, and it works fine. They can still buy their own apps without having to use my card.

1 Like

I’ll be all in on Premier once it arrives. I already do Music and 2T, so get everything else for an additional $10 will be great.

I’m seriously looking forward to Fitness+. I’ve been signing up with random Zoom yoga and Pilates people, who all have terrible web cams and dodgy audio. I bet Fitness+ will be better than that.

I do pay a trainer for a customized strength training regimen and I will continue to pay that $40 per month. I’ll drop all the other bits and pieces that I’ve been paying out for fitness classes. I think Fitness+ has the potential to hurt a lot of yoga etc. small businesses.

1 Like

I’m also in the middle of moving all my Dropbox files to iCloud so I can drop my expensive Dropbox plan before it renews.

1 Like

I’m not trying to be dense here (it comes naturally), but I don’t understand these comments.

Apple One Premier won’t be available in most countries for the time being.

1 Like

Ah. That explains it then, thanks.

I’m in on Premier - less money total per month and I get boosted to 2TB. Sign me up

It’s not just Apple one.
Most new features are for English speaking countries only. (And China of course :-))
Sometime it takes years for others to catch up