Apple’s full-size HomePod 2 could launch sooner than expected

I will certainly be tempted to buy a few.

3 Likes

I like my minis in so many ways, but I play to 2 or 3 in my living space and too frequently one will start playing up (or rather cutting out), which might then bring the whole thing to a deafening silence.
Still, I (mostly) have the whole house audio that I’ve been wanting for the last 40 years. I’m interested in this, but I shouldn’t be buying anything!

I hope with that release, Homepod will be locally available in my country. I pay $50 more from unofficial resellers for the Mini. Plus, Apple have enabled Siri on AppleTV with our local account on 16.2. I hope they could also lower the price for Homepod 2.

1 Like

I’m excited for these things. I can’t help it. The original HomePods were so cool and it made me sad that they developed that popping sound over time and repairs/replacements were shut down.

1 Like

It’s out!

I don’t see much difference except for temperature and sound (coming this Spring) sensor. Both HomePods has the two feature based on the comparison.

I wonder if it meant a new HomePod mini (2022) since my black HomePod mini (2020) can’t do room temperature. Just tested it and it can’t. Anyone with the new colors can confirm?

Edit: Only Homepod mini released in 2021 has the temperature and sound sensor according to a 2021 teardown :frowning:

Without reading a detailed teardown or audio test, the differences I’m aware of:

• S8 vs. old A series chip
  • Five tweeters instead of seven (hmm)
  • Temperature/humidity sensors that wiredfractal mentioned
  • Hopefully hardware longevity issues are fixed
  • Edit: forgot the Thread radio

As long as it performs as well, that’s good enough for me. The sound is pretty nice for $300 if they’ve managed that, especially in rooms where two front-facing bookshelf speakers aren’t the best choice.

I heard the same thing on ATP but my popping sounds were never fixed. I thought they were for awhile, but they came back. Just on one HomePod; the other one still works fine and I’m hoping it’ll pair just fine with one of the new ones.

1 Like

Popping on mine went away too! I suspect it was fixed in a software update.

1 Like

Sheesh. Well, I’m going to have to read the audio teardowns carefully then, and make sure I’ve got a worthwhile spot in another room for the lonely 1st gen.

Still excited! :upside_down_face:

Noo!!!

I have an OG HP and wanted to buy a stereo pair, but they took them off the market before I could get one. I suspect the days of getting an inflated price for my OG HP have passed with this announcement too. LOL.

I want that stereo pair for my AppleTV.

I have five full-size HomePods, one of which died, and one Mini in the kitchen. We use them all the time, Siri works as well as we expect (except she thinks I want to hear EDM every time I say, “play some music”). I’m happy to see them coming back on the market. They just sound phenomenal for the size and price. They easily surpass systems I poured hundreds/thousands into earlier in my life. This is a testament to their ability to tune themselves to their environment. Of course, you can’t play vinyl through them, but that’s not something I have to do. I’m happy without clicks and pops :slightly_smiling_face:

Just ordered one. Have a Mini on my desk but would def like a little better audio. Mostly happy w the Mini. Mostly used for playing podcasts and a handful of Siri commands.

1 Like

Humidity and temperature sensor is coming in update 16.3. This is why it’s not working yet.

We love using our homepod mini with our AppleTV. A stereo pair of Homepod 2 is tempting but isn’t as cheap as getting another mini to pair with our current one.

1 Like

I had two homepod minis as speakers for my TV in the studio (small room) until I realised, happily listening to the audio, that I was listening to the TV speakers …:neutral_face:

Clearly, I am not an audiophile! :joy:

3 Likes

I had a pair set up as stereo for the ATV, one died just before its 2nd year and could not be repaired by apple.

Anyway, i found the stereo set up extremely disappointing. What you get is some sort of spacial sound with a very unclear sound stage - instrument placement is all over the place, voices (song or spoken) omnidirectional. What makes a single playing homepod great, absolutely does not work for two as a pair. Apple could have done a much better job letting two Homepods cooperate musically.

After a few days playing it as a pair i moved back to my 5.1 set up which i mostly play stereo music on and a few SACDs that still play.

1 Like

100%.

Do the minis sound good for their size - yes.
Do they sound good enough to use as my main audio for any kind of show or music - no. Not even in a stereo pair.

1 Like

I’m surprised to read this opinion. I thought the stereo implementation created a good sound stage in much of the room and sounded way better than just one HomePod. It was overengineered (the Minis don’t do the same dynamic adjustment for stereo) but cost was the issue, not quality.

1 Like

The subjectivity and mystique of audio leads to, e.g. $1500 USB cables.

2 Likes

True! (wanders off to research gold-plated AirPlay receivers)

1 Like

With “sound stage” meaning the ability to place individual players/instruments where they were when recorded - no i could not get that. Most jarring was when voices should come from pretty much the mid point in between the speakers (movie with actor in mid screen), the voice was as wide as the speaker distance.

Now, if i worked in the kitchen and had the music up in the living (no wall between the two), the system/pair sounded good but so did/does a single speaker.

If you really want a define sound stage, a 5.1 or even 3.1 system is better imho. If you want to just want to fill the room with good music while doing stuff or friends over or… homepod is great.

Ah, sorry. I understand now. I like what they are going for (wide, consistent sweet spot in any room) but yes, not close to 5.1 for directional audio.