Apple TV+ first impressions

I got bored several times as well and found myself hitting the 15 sec advance button.

1 Like

The use of Apple product placement does not concern me but I agree, the interface is bad, which is surprising given Appleā€™s design chops.

I missed that. Most of the time I only notice the big Microsoft logos that are occasionally used on TV, but never seen in real life.

Re: UI. Iā€™m just glad they offer Apple TV+ on non-Apple platforms. I hate the Siri remote so much that I use a Roku most of the time.

Daisy and I have watched the Morning Show. Sheā€™s enjoying it more than I am but it certainly has its moments. Iā€™m generally a Ron Moore fan so Iā€™m looking forward to watching For all Mankind at some point.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only watched the Morning Show, two episodes. Iā€™m really enjoying it. I didnā€™t think it would be my thing but Iā€™ve been pleasantly surprised.

That said, I my starting point for tv and movies is that I want to be entertained. I just want to sit back and enjoy. Iā€™m not there to critique and dissect. I think the result is I often enjoy things that many others would not. From what I see online it often seems that many people start out from a much more critical perspective.

As for the interface, Iā€™ve not spent a lot of time in the TV app but thus far I really like it. Sure, thereā€™s room for improvement, but overall Iā€™d give it a thumbs up. I like the convenience of my next show being shown front and center as well as the searching which seems to work pretty well. And that whatever show I select gives a clear indication of the service itā€™s available on and takes me the there pretty seamlessly.

2 Likes

I thought the shows looked really sharp on my iPad Pro and LG C8 tv and this explains that:

https://www.loopinsight.com/2019/11/05/apple-tv-and-video-bitrate-quality/

Iā€™m not too surprised since Apple loves lotsa pixels but it being essentially free for the next year would make a good case for conserving bandwidth, but they opted against the cheaper route. Iā€™m just excited it was a noticeable difference even before seeing the stats.

Great idea for Apple to give a yearā€™s free look with a recent purchase. Gives them a year to get some decent content in. Not sure if content is same in Aus as elsewhere, but for me, meh. Watched the trailers and went back to Netfixā€¦

1 Like

Speaking of alternate universes, I have to remember Iā€™m on a forum of nerds.

GEEZE! Reading these reviews feels like reading actual old-school movie critics. I learned a long time ago to ignore them as they rarely represented my thoughts.

I was never hooked into GoT, but I love SEE.

I like FAM mainly because they are including alternate social timelines, not just US vs USSR.

Havenā€™t watched Morning Show yet.

Free week is up today. We are dropping it for now. Sorry we took the free week so early.

Totally different view of the shows compared to others here or reviews weā€™ve read elsewhere. Really liked Dickinson, which with all the anachronisms and lack of historic accuracy is best viewed as a comedy. Seems like we are the only ones. At least we saw the entire series, which I guess wonā€™t be renewed.

Watched one episode of Morning Show, which was a mess. Didnā€™t make it to the end of the first episode of For All Mankind. That was it for us. Frankly, being in our 70ā€™s, we arenā€™t the target audience for any of these.

Earlier in this thread I commented on the Apple product placement in The Morning Show (the only show where they can really do this). Well The Wall Street Journal noticed it as well: https://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-gadgets-co-star-in-its-new-tv-drama-11573145328?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=5 Thereā€™s the paywall so I donā€™t know how well this article can be viewed.

Finally watched the first episode of TMS - not my cup of tea. Well-done, good acting, just not into the typical pseudo-soap-opera type of show.

I liked Dickinson too. It (and a few others) have been renewed:

1 Like

Think Dickinson is the best! Love the main cast and the anachronism. The light blend of comedy and drama gave a great weightless beautiful feel, I thought.

I had problems with the first episode of For All Mankind but the Wernher von Braun episode won me over:)

I checked out Apple TV+. Am I wrong, or are they not posting entire seasonsā€™ episodes, but just one by one? Nearly $50/year for dribs and drabs of just four shows doesnā€™t seem like much of a streaming service. Maybe Iā€™m missing the bigger picture?

Katie

You are wrong, partially. Some shows are or will be dumped in their entirety like DICKINSON), like Netflix does, some will be released in schedule, like HBO.

It makes no business sense to offer oneā€™s entire episodes all at once, when thereā€™s a free trial, given the limited number of total episodes available.

1 Like

Netflix hasnā€™t dumped all shows at once. They were splitting up the seasons of Fuller House so everybody is experimenting.

With all the television that is on, I donā€™t mind what Apple is doing. I have yet to see Dickerson or See, but I have watched a few more episodes of For All Mankind.

I watched an episode of The Morning Show this weekend via Apple TV (the box) and there was a trailer for one of their other shows. Iā€™d already watched that show. Ugh. Worse, no skip button. Cā€™mon, Apple, I enjoy that Netflix does not do this. I hate that Hulu (with ads) does.

The entry level (standard) price for Netflix in the US is $8/mo but content streams at standard def (SD) and only includes one simultaneous stream (ā€œscreenā€). To get HD (1080) you pay $13/mo (2 screens), 4K is $16/mo (4 screens). The fact that Apple TVā€™s content is all 4K and streamed at a high bit rate (and is available to any screen in your Family Sharing) makes Netflixā€™s additional $11 USD ($16 total) per month to get 4K look very pricey compared to Appleā€™s $5. Yes, apples to err whatever because Netflix has a far bigger catalog but still I appreciate What Apple is doing to push the industry towards higher def content at lower prices.

Yes that is really annoying, also annoying that you canā€™t skip the intro (or I havnā€™t found out how).
Overall I am happy with the service. I really like Dickenson and For All Mankind and now that I have given ā€œThe Morning Showā€ a try, I ended up liking that as well. So far only ā€œSeeā€ sucks.

The skip intro has come up after watching the first episode of a series.

I have to revise my thoughts on TMS - evidently I had not finished the entire first episode. Somehow by the end I was hooked. They are probing lots of big topics - MeToo, womenā€™s rights in general, abortion, etc. And they are being smart about it! Some of it is also a bit of ā€˜inside baseballā€™ Hollywood fluff, but kept at a minimum. So now Iā€™m all in on TMS.

I actually donā€™t think they are being very smart or artistic about it. It is too obvious, too simplistic, almost preachy. A more refined and subtle approach would be far more artistic and effective. But, perhaps the subtlety would be lost on a mass market.