Apple Watch Series 5

I had not been planning on getting a Series 5 Apple Watch (got a Series 4 last year) but the always-on display may sell it for me.

Titanium is $100 more than stainless, but I don’t like how the titanium finish looks with my beloved stainless steel link bracelet:

(but yay for Apple keeping band compatibility!)

3 Likes

I just bought my new one back in the spring. But I, too, liked the Always On display! For all of the leaks saying “nothing special” with the Apple Watch, well, that seemed pretty special!

1 Like

I have a Series 4 currently. Always-on display prompted me to put in my Series 5 order as soon as the Store opened back up after the Keynote!

Also really like that they now let you choose any band. I came away from the Keynote understanding you’d only be able to choose your band in an Apple Store but that’s available online too, thankfully. Just choose a model online or in the app and then look for the “Apple Studio” button.

2 Likes

I’m in deep self-negotiations at the moment, lol. I’ve had the Series 4 stainless for 10 months at this point, so not sure if I need an immediate upgrade, but I’m sure to buckle once the user reports come in.

3 Likes

Series 5 features are nice, but not enough that I’ll toss my Series 3. If anything, I’ll try a hybrid next time, like a Kronaby.

With always-on it looks like I’ll be getting my first AW.
Almost certainly a basic GPS Nike model.

3 Likes

I’ve got a series 1 watch. I wear it 23 hours a day and rely on it for notifications, weather reports, reading and managing messages, alarms and timers, and of course to tell time. But it’s doing fine. I think I’ll sit this upgrade out.

3 Likes

I was cooled off a bit by the low cap on trade-in offers. Last year, they were offering $200-250 for my Series 3. I’ll look around for some better deals (or sell locally if needed.)

2 Likes

Could get a AW5, would have sprung for a 4 but no longer on sale! AOD is nice but … meh! If only Garmin had LTE … :neutral_face:

Well, after some consideration the always on display was enough to get me to upgrade. I just pulled the trigger on a Series 5.

Given how little Apple was offering for my Series 4 I decided not to do the trade-in. I may sell it to a third party or I may keep it and do the day watch/night watch thing for sleep tracking.

I think I’m being given a sign: the battery in my analog watch died last night.

2 Likes

A couple of nice Apple Watch hands-on overview/first impressions videos:

1 Like

That Noir double loop is actually pretty dope looking

1 Like

I am wearing an Apple Watch Series 4 which I love. I actually like that the watch face is not always on because I live in a developing country and I do not want to call attention to my wrist.

The release of new apple products certainly wakes up that “wanting machine” aspect of being human. As my Apple teacher once pointed out, there will always be new and shinier. I’m so glad he said this because whenever I get the itch I always remember that point.

That said, I get “need”. Dang, if you need something, go all in and get what you want… spend them dollars.

1 Like

For me: no brainer! Going to buy.

Always on did it for me

Must have something to do with the Series 3 being available and only for $199. I’m planning to sell my S3 as well to upgrade to S5 but it looks like I have to sell it for lower than the current selling price for a brand new S3.

2 Likes

Me too. I like always-on and I’ve been wanting a compass since Series 0. But that low trade-in is a put-off

Only time will tell how the battery will behave with AOD. Personally I don’t care if the display is ON 24 hours. When I am asleep, I don’t need it to be ON. If I really need a AOD I might as well get an Analog Watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be warned: if you’ve always gotten an Aluminum sport Watch and upgrade to Stainless, Titanium, or Ceramic… you will be spoiled for all future purchases :smile:. After having a Stainless AW for nearly a year, I can’t imagine going back to “Aluminium” because of the screen / crystal quality and durability. I almost always bang my watch on my laboratory countertops, no matter how careful I am, at least once a month. This is the first year I didn’t have some sort of egregious screen scratch or beat-up case because of the SS build quality.

2 Likes

If you’re thinking of selling, I recommend you get a bid from SellYourMac. Apple offered me $100 for my S4 watch and SYM offered $180.

They’re also offering an additional $20 (my bid was actually $160 + $20):

https://sellyourmac.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=21ab42a4552d7c772c89c4136&id=a2a3bce84d&e=a86cf37ef0

Worth checking out vs. Apple trade in.

1 Like