Big Sur update today

Am I the only person pounding on the software button to refresh and let me download macOS Big Sur??? :tired_face::pleading_face::nerd_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure youā€™re not. Iā€™ll probably wait until early afternoon to try, since I seem to recall software often not dropping until 10 am Pacific timeā€¦

Are there any major apps that are incompatible? i.e. Hazel, KM etc.

Hazel and Bartender are not out of beta as far as I know.

1 Like

I canā€™t speak to Hazel, but the Bartender beta seems to be working just fine on the Big Sur beta.

2 Likes

I plan to upgrade as soon as BS is out. Should I have any concerns in doing so?

1 Like

Really depends on what youā€™re using. I would be wary of: unusual drivers, rarely updated software and of course kernel extensions which are deprecated with BS.

But I would say the jump is lower than going to Catalina with the end of 32-bit apps.

2 Likes
2 Likes

On the Hazel forum, in response to a question about when it would be available, Hazelā€™s developer wrote today:

Current plan is early next week, barring any last minute showstoppers.

FWIW - Iā€™ve been using the betas and they have been fine for the past few weeks for me.

YMMV. Use only as directed. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

4 Likes

Iā€™m running pretty common appsā€”DEVONThink, Ulysses, iWork apps., G-Suite, Things 3, Drafts, MindNode, and the like. The only app that could be an issues is for the Fujitsu ScanSnap. Anyone yet have experience using the ScanSnap under Big Sur?

1 Like

I have been running ScanSnap under Big Sur for months now with no problem.

One of the problems I am having, but am not seeing any comments about this is:

Mostly in Finder, but also in other applications, when I go to rename file by clicking in the file name field, it becomes a ā€˜white-outā€™ where I canā€™t see any of the text. The text is still there, and if I click in the field some of it becomes visible. Very hard to work with.

Anybody else seeing this?

1 Like

Thanks. Not related to Big Sur but 14.2 screwed up my contact groups.

I have Big Sur downloading now! Big download. This is going to take a while. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

12 GB and I can watch every Byte dropping in.
Slow connection todayā€¦ 3 days to go on a FTTH line

1 Like

The problemā€™s probably not on your end. I imagine Appleā€™s servers are getting hammered today. :wink:

2 Likes

Frustrating. Ā¼ downloaded then errorā€”server problem. Now staring over. Like I said, this is going to take a while! :slight_smile: Good thing I have an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard so I can keep working.

1 Like

Whatā€™s frustrating is they havenā€™t propagated the update to work with the boot drive updater (not the correct term). When you go the Cmd+Option+R route to reboot, and then wipe the drive and install the latest OS, Catalina still comes up as of a few minutes ago. And you can no longer download the OS installer file from the app store, as the ā€œGetā€ button just kicks you over into the OS updater in System Preferences.

I just got promoted from 3 days remaining to 2, so thatā€™s, I suppose, progress.

1 Like

It is now available for me in software update. I am sooo tempted to just start the install, Does anyone here use Citrix Workspace in Big Sur? Once I have confirmation that it works properly, I am pressing the upgrade button.

1 Like

Iā€™m now showing 6 hours.