Big Sur update today

12 GB and I can watch every Byte dropping in.
Slow connection today… 3 days to go on a FTTH line

1 Like

The problem’s probably not on your end. I imagine Apple’s servers are getting hammered today. :wink:

2 Likes

Frustrating. ¼ downloaded then error—server problem. Now staring over. Like I said, this is going to take a while! :slight_smile: Good thing I have an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard so I can keep working.

1 Like

What’s frustrating is they haven’t propagated the update to work with the boot drive updater (not the correct term). When you go the Cmd+Option+R route to reboot, and then wipe the drive and install the latest OS, Catalina still comes up as of a few minutes ago. And you can no longer download the OS installer file from the app store, as the “Get” button just kicks you over into the OS updater in System Preferences.

I just got promoted from 3 days remaining to 2, so that’s, I suppose, progress.

1 Like

It is now available for me in software update. I am sooo tempted to just start the install, Does anyone here use Citrix Workspace in Big Sur? Once I have confirmation that it works properly, I am pressing the upgrade button.

1 Like

I’m now showing 6 hours.

My download stopped and System Preferences was closed on me, and I had to start it up again. It’s going at lot faster this time around.

I’m finding mine sits on a certain amount downloaded and then jumps up so 0 -> 1.88 -> 3.5 -> 5.63 so far

1 Like

My download has gotten frustrating. I was at ¾ download and then server failure. Had to start over. It says installation failure but the download had not completed.

1 Like

Was just taking the same screenshot to share except mine fully downloaded then gave me the warning. FWIW, I tried to install the beta yesterday (thinking that it was the GM anyway). Got the same error. Turned off all file vaults and firewalls but still have the same problem.

I just got all the way to the end and got this message too…

Nothing personal but I’m glad to hear that. :grinning: Misery loves company. I’m glad it is not just me.

3 Likes

I would suggest downloading the full installer and making a bootable drive to install Full Installer

I rebooted and I’m getting exactly the same error.

Bartender and Hazel betas work for me.

Bring it on!!

1 Like

When I click that link I get the same error.

1 Like

I’m just waiting until tomorrow. I can’t even get it to download on my MacMiniColo machine.

Those of you who need to install Big Sur on multiple machines should know two things:

1. DiskMaker X will not work with Big Sur. Sadly.

2. Checkout installinstallmacos.py from https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts (note: it is not working any better than any other method of getting Big Sur right now, but once things settle down it will help you get a DMG of a Big Sur installer.

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to wait. I’m getting a new error–unable to check for update, make sure you’re connected to the Internet. :frowning:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/12/macos-big-sur-downloads-at-a-crawl-for-many-as-apple-developer-site-is-down/ - I’m giving up and getting an early night!

1 Like