Big Sur update today

Bmos, I’m not sure you need to do anything on your end. I think despite Apple’s report that the issue has been resolved, it really hasn’t. I’m getting the same error (failure to install) as soon as I start to download it. In fact, before the download even starts. Oh well, I’ll try a couple more times and then shoot for tomorrow.

Thanks, that’s helpful. Tomorrow will be soon enough. :slight_smile:

Same here. Have to wait.

Mr Macintosh has the “skinny”: Mr. Macintosh

1 Like

It’s downloading fast now. Hurray. Spoke too soon. It download 50% and then the error. Well, it restarted and is moving along. 20 minutes to go. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It still won’t download directly from my home network, but it seems to be working through my work VPN.

ETA: It’s flaked out once over the VPN season too, but let me restart after a couple of tries. My workplace takes advantage of a shared Apple caching service, so maybe that’s why it’s working there instead of directly from my home network.

Success! (from Toronto)

1 Like

Likewise!

1 Like

Exciting. How’s it working?

I had several failures since about 3:30 this afternoon. Now it is half past 6 and I was able to start the download. I am halfway downloaded less than 10 minutes in to the download. So far so good.

Looking forward to the upgrade.

Has everybody been using the Beta as well? I’m waiting to install Big Sur. Unfortunately, still on Mojave and haven’t had a good time to do a clean install for everything.

It’s still installing.

Tried downloading again and its definitely moving quick but have hit errors each time. Maybe I’ll hold off until tomorrow and hope they fix it.

Finally, installed and up and running! That was harder than it should have been. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No experience (yet), but some information:
I have been running ScanSnap Manager v7.0 L20 under macOS Catalina for my ScanSnap S1500M. A ScanSnap Online Updater pop-up message appeared today (“Big Sur Day”, 11/12/2020) advising an update to SnapSnap Manager.

With some apprehension I proceeded with the update, which installed without a problem. The installation notes indicated that a modification was made to support macOS Big Sur v11.0 - see screenshot below.

No problem with the ScanSnap Manager update … the iMac still running macOS Catalina. The new version of ScanSnap Manager is V7.0L30.

2 Likes

I just finished reading John Voorhees Big Sur review on MacStories. It’s quite good, matching Federico’s iOS/iPadOS review when it comes to depth and comprehensiveness. Worth a read when you have some time to sit down with it.

7 Likes

There’s a bit of quirkiness with the menu bar colours if you create new spaces and move them around. So far that’s the only thing that I’ve found that’s a bit off.

Oh and my previous desktop picture vanished and isn’t in the ones that were supplied by Apple. That’s bothersome.

Liking the feel of it apart from that.

1 Like

I might be in the minority but I don’t like the new aesthetic of Big Sur. Very iOS like.

3 Likes

Finally installed. Loving it so far.

2 Likes

I like it a lot. :slight_smile:

There are a lot of improvements and so far, I have not hit any road blocks. Apart from the rocky installation due to apparent server issues on Apple’s side that is.

An unexpected one: when I connect to Windows Servers via RDP (I use Jump Desktop), Big Sur is handling the use of my 4K display much better. Everything looks way more crisp also on Windows using the RDP session even when I use scaling in MacOS. It is very noticeable. Before, I had to disable scaling in MacOS in order to achieve the same crispness in the RDP session.

2 Likes