Big Sur update today

Is Sidecar working for anyone?

Only real reason im excited to upgrade is higher resolution support for ultrawidescreen monitors, a deficiency I discovered when I bought one earlier this year and had to use the Big Sur beta to get it to work. Letā€™s hope they didnā€™t somehow drop support for it in the final version.

That said, I donā€™t have a UW monitor at the moment so I donā€™t have to rush. Looking forward to the reports.

working for me, which is odd as it didnā€™t work in Catalina!

1 Like

Anyoneā€™s laptop runs hotter after big sur update? MBP feels hotter :man_shrugging:.

Give it some time. Thereā€™s often a lot of background processes running after such a large update. I bet it will be back to normal in a day, maybe less.

5 Likes

Downloaded well but on installation it got stuck on Apple Logo screen. Had to turn off at the back, but safe restart (then normal restart) and all was good. Psychologically it feels fast!!

1 Like

Will take me a while to get used to the shaded folder icons! Although the ā€˜non-flatā€™ shading on the icons is lovely.
No bugs or problems so far (Slack, Teams, Powerpoint)

1 Like

I didnā€™t mess with the Beta. Things went smoothly. I poked around a little bit with it last night. Iā€™ll do more with it today.

Thatā€™s great news, thanks!

Yup got three of those errors during download

Phewww, thanks was wondering how Teams was dealing with the update

Uuuuuggggghhhhhh come on MBAdorable!!! Oh, and I know the screen needs dusting :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Most annoying thing for me so far is the fact that notification centre is linked to the clock.
I use ā€˜the clock dueā€™ to time zone stuff.

You canā€™t hide the time in either, only the date so I end up having 2 lots of the time in the menu bar

Iā€™m on Big Sur beta - Iā€™m struggling to find the right steps for what I need to do.

Whatā€™s the best way to get back on the regular release track? Should I downgrade first or do you know if it is okay can download the regular Big Sur and just install it as is?

I did this last year macOS Catalina updates after leaving beta

1 Like

Sidecar is not working for me. That isnā€™t too big an issue. I am using two monitors already.

1. Go to System Preferences Ā» Software Update.

2. On the left there will be a note about your Mac being in the beta.

3. Click it and you can remove that beta profile from your Mac.

4. Download and install Big Sur from the Mac App Store.

2 Likes

Just updated.

Messages wonā€™t run now on my MBP!

Managed to lock-up Safari by browsing Facebook. I need to spend less time there; butā€¦

:frowning:

ā€“Tim

Perfect! A Mac that wonā€™t access Facebook! :grinning:

On the other hand ā€¦ I would like to run Messages :worried:

2 Likes

Well, without warning (after a few reboots), it runs messages now. ā€¦ Weā€™ll see if I can get Safari stuck again. :slight_smile: