Blogging platform for novice

@fuzzygel that link doesnt work. I assume this is the link you are reffering to:
https://blog.fuzzygel.com/migrant-to-ghost-org/

1 Like

sorry about that, have updated the link, can you try again

1 Like

Took awhile but here is the post

1 Like

Iā€™m still enjoying Substack. Very early days for me but the blogging process is quite easy, you can add podcasts (and I just made the video beta) and they seem to be quite an active and upbeat developer. :man_shrugging:

Thereā€™s also a case to be made for apps like Rapidweaver. Iā€™ve used Rapidweaver with Alloy to great success. The initial outlay maybe about Ā£200 ($245), but that sets you up to create what you want and is a one-off. You will need to pay for upgrades, but they will be less and only every few years. If you use Setapp you can subtract Ā£100 as I believe Rapidweaver is part of their app range. The benefit of this approach is that you can curb your itch to change blogging platforms, by redesigning your site. You can create multiple blogs and simply host them with your own hosting service. Rapidweaver even connects via FTP and uploads your site. Rapidweaver is mac only, but if you use Alloy, it gives you a log in portal for creating posts. I very simple controllable blog setup.

EDIT
I had failed to mention that Alloy requires Foundry which costs an additional $89, bumping up the cost. But for that you can create a very feature rich blog.

very interested to know more details. Is this $245 to buy Rapidweaver? I bought it for $19.90 from Bundlehunt but it may be an older version. I have not used it since :rofl: . How do you find Alloy? , I cannot figure out exactly what they are offering, are they a CMS (content management system?)

Rapidweaver allows you to create websites. It is heavily dependent on themes and frameworks that need to be purchased separately. It has a built in FTP client that allows you to configure it with your hosting server to upload your files directly onto the server. Rapidweaver is essentially a drag and drop interface with some ability to configure the elements you drag and drop onto a page.

Foundry is a framework that works within Rapidweaver. Frameworks provide you with many more drag and drop elements, from navigational elements to videos, accordians, social media etc.

Alloy has been really good for me. Simple to set up and simple to use. Itā€™s a simple flat file markdown blogging platform that allows embedding media. Posts are created online through a login portal so you doā€™t need to use Rapidweaver for blog posts. Posts are stored as markdown files on your hosting server and are easy to export and backup.

thanks @svsmailus , so I guess Alloy can be self sufficient to publish blog but Rapidweaver and Foundry enhance the look and feel, correct?

All three are needed. Alloy and Foundry need Rapidweaver to work. Iā€™m realising in having written these posts that Stacks is also needed which will bump up the cost yet again. Iā€™ve purchased these things over 10+ years so the cost is spread. But this may make it unviable. Rapidweaver produces fully featured websites (which is why I purchased it in the first place). It would allow you to create a blog easily, but you could also create different kinds of pages too on the same site. You might want a portfolio or photo gallery, etc. It adds some flexibility for what you can create.

I clicked through all of this; pretty interesting. Definitely something people should consider before they automatically reach for WordPress and a page builder. Do they have some way to iterate through a data source and display them with partials in a template? E.g., to list recent blog posts and snippets, generate a custom employee directory, show 5 most recent photos, etc.