Buying a decent monitor for a MacBook Pro and Air

I just moved offices for the summer and am setting up a temporary space until my new office is built (I’m the director of institutional research & training at a private college). I’d like to order a decent monitor without breaking the bank, since my work won’t reimburse me. To me that means <$400 if possible but could go up to 500 if you think it’s really necessary.

I’m embarrassed to admit this but I know nothing about monitors and am concerned I’d pick something that would be completely wrong for what I have (and that I wouldn’t have the right connector for it so I could use it in the first place). Could you please share your wisdom? Note: I did search the forums and reviewed this thread; Recommended monitors?=

But am unclear if my set up would be suitable for those monitors mentioned there. I have this one in my cart but would prefer something with Prime shipping so could get set up faster (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRQAYPE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK&psc=1).

I purchased a new fully loaded MacBook Pro and an Air this past fall. The Pro would be “stationary” so to speak and would leave it connected all the time. I tote the Air home and to meetings but it would be nice to connect it in a quick demo situation if necessary. So it would be nice if the monitor would look nice with both but my priority is the MBP.

Not sure if it matters, but the main reasons I want the extra monitor are for more screen real estate when I remote into my windows pc in my old office (it has to stay put for now due to some secure line connection issues) and so I can more easily show my research partner (whose office I’m sharing) my screen when we are working on articles together.

Thank you very much for your help!

My primary monitor is a LG 29UB55-B Black 29" 5ms (GTG) IPS 21:9 UltraWide IPS LED Backlight LCD Monitor, 2560 x 1080, sRGB 100% Anti-glare 3H Surface Treatment, 178/178 Viewing Angle with Built in Speakers http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-025-038&ignorebbr=true
$189 on Newegg

I’ve been using it for 2 years and love it. I just added a monitor arm to it too.
Height Adjustable Single Monitor Desk Mount - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0160DFPTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ykZG8NPU9zO34

I am currently using an OWC dock to simplify cabling. I’ve used a HDMI to USB-C dongle before that with no problems.

This monitor has worked very well for me for gaming and office work on a MacBook Pro (2019) an HP laptop (work) and a windows 10 desktop (gaming rig).

I hope you find something you like!

2 Likes

This is the monitor I use with my MBP at school, and as an additional monitor for my iMac Pro at home. Highly recommended. For your budget, I recommend getting a 4K monitor. Everything looks better, easier on the eyes, and you have more flexibility if you want to play with the space/size tradeoff in System Preferences | Displays.
I also recommend a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, as you’ll take advantage of the monitor’s higher refresh rate (smoother scrolling, less flicker). The one I use is linked below.

3 Likes

I’ll jump in on the LG train as well. I have a 32" that I use when I work from home and it easily allows me to put two apps side by side so I don’t lose the benefit of multiple monitors I have at my office. No issues at all. $200 well spent, model info below…

[LG 32MA70HY-P 32-Inch Full HD IPS Monitor with Display Port and HDMI Inputs]

I have two LG 27UD68-W monitors. They are the same as the 27UD68-P except for the color of the plastic. The major difference between this one and the 27UD58 that you are considering is the color gamut. The 68 has a wider color gamut. Currently available on amazon for an additional $80. LG 27UD68-W

I also use a USB-C to HDMI cable so I can get the 60Hz refresh rate. It makes a big difference in how quickly I can accurately select things with the mouse pointer.