Can you help me punish apple?

This is the downside of subscribing to third party services through Apple. I only subscribe to iOS/iPadOS apps or Apple services through them. But never to anything I can get directly from companies like Dropbox and Netflix, etc.

Using Apple can be very convenient, until you have a problem.

When I upgraded my Dropbox subscription it was diectly via the browser on my desktop computer not through the App Store.

Fortunately Iā€™ve not encountered a problem with Apple subscriptions. One supplier has continued to provide the service, seemingly not having noticed my sub ran out, but I can simply not use their service.

The main advantage of going through Apple is the easy cancellation and reviewing of subscriptions and trials. I donā€™t like the idea of my card information hanging around miscellaneous software and service providers who sometimes make it challenging to cancel (looking at you, Times of London newspaper!)

2 Likes

It might cost you time. Time that was probably better spent with your wife and your kids?

(But I have had a bad experience with Apple as well, so I understand where you are coming from).

So, why did you not use the Apple Site for the Refunds, instead of going your ā€žpainfulā€œ way?

As stated in the OP:

Maybe you let the OP answer by himself, as you are sometimes wrong with your suggestionsā€¦ :wink:

Neither have I. Iā€™m an Amazon Prime and YouTube Premium subscriber. And both offer other streaming services, including AppleTV+, as add-ons. But I donā€™t purchase anything through them either. My problem isnā€™t with Apple, itā€™s having any third party between me and another provider.

If I deal directly with a company and have a problem I can open an app, dispute a charge, and let my bank deal with them.

Re: Times of London. I hate it when companies make it hard to unsubscribe. Itā€™s been years but the last time I checked both the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times would let you subscribe online but required you to call them to unsubscribe. I would probably re-subscribe if not for that policy.

Iā€™m a subscriber to both but feel your pain. Thereā€™s an interesting law (idea) working its way through the US Congress right now that would require companies to allow unsubscriptions by the identical methods they allow subscriptions. However you got ā€œin,ā€ they have to allow you to get ā€œoutā€ by the same means. Seems like a good idea.

1 Like

That would be great for gym memberships. Most of those you can ā€œgetā€ by showing up at the gym and signing some paperwork, but to get ā€œoutā€ you need to actually mail a formal letter containing specific language to some address on the other side of the country.

1 Like

This is hilarious.

• OP stated multiple times that he asked Apple for a refund - twice.
  • Apple denied him - twice.
  • He called Appleā€™s customer service, who told him there was nothing he/they could do except a chargeback.
  • So he did the chargeback (ā€œthe ā€˜painfulā€™ wayā€).

Youā€™re asking him why he did the last step, apparently assuming that Appleā€™s own customer service wouldnā€™t have thought of just directing him to their own refund site - and Iā€™m the one thatā€™s ā€œsometimes wrongā€ with my suggestions.

:rofl:

2 Likes

You are making your own story here, without knowing how the OP ā€œaskedā€ for the refund in the first place, and without having any knowledge about what they where talking about in detail the call with CS.
But donā€™t worry, I became used to a behavior like that, if I have to deal with that special group of peopleā€¦
From your point of view It was a ā€œperfect phone callā€ :rofl: :joy:

Beside that I am still interested in what really happened, maybe the OP is explaining it a little bit more!?

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about here. But thatā€™s because Iā€™ve used the ā€œignoreā€ feature to great effect. :wink:

3 Likes

It does. Iā€™m surprised such a law didnā€™t come forward in the EU. It may make sense for businesses to have different entry/exit methods for contracts, but for consumers exciting a contract should be as easy as entering in.

Thatā€™s exactly the case with The Times. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with a salesperson trying to convince me that it was great value, despite being able to see I hadnā€™t read the newspaper in a month (mostly because of its untrustworthy editorial practices.)

This may be off-topic, but reading your story I remembered how I had a similar feelings last year, when my Mac stopped to be supported. I have 2017 MacBook Air, which I bought in 2019 and in that time it was on Apple.com website. So I bought a new computer which Apple still selled and three year later they just ā€œno, itā€™s garbage, weā€™ll not update it anymoreā€. And I decided to move to all third party apps and started to use a familyā€™s Windows PC more, but then accepted it and realized that I still ā€œlikeā€ Apple (whatever it means) and their approach to technology and now use mostly first party apps and iCloud, some kind of Stockholm syndrome (of course Iā€™ve not suffered that much being stuck on Monterey, but I was definitely offended)

2 Likes

Sorry you got burned. Apple will still sell you a $53,000 intel mac pro today. Then offer you around $1000 on trade in. Now that out of warranty Macs can be prohibitively expensive to repair I wonder if that will destroy their resale value?

1 Like

Have you tried emailing Tim Cook directly? Maybe with some local or App Store Apple people ccā€™d?

Tim Cook claimed to get 700 to 800 customer emails a day. Maybe your ā€œcustomer feedbackā€ might be the type to get his attention.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea. Thank you.

Okay, isnā€™t this supposed to be a lighthearted suggestion thread?

My suggestions:

Buy through a friendā€™s business who has volume purchase access. Do something to qualify for the educational discount. Buy used, overspecced hardware rather than new moderate configs.

If Movies Everywhere is still a thing, buy digital media elsewhere and make iTunes give you a free copy. Sign up for any streaming services through their websites, of course.

Sign up for a couple extra Genius Bar appointments a year (asking legitimate questions only so to not annoy the employees.) Be expensive (and maybe learn a few things from the tech!) Have your family visit as well but instruct them to buy nothing!

Use third party phone insurance instead of AppleCare. Third party insurance will pay less than you would for a replacement phone out of pocket.

I can understand being very dissatisfied with a company. But while an individual may get some kind of satisfactory solution to their problem by emailing Tim Cook or contacting customer service again, there is no way an individual can ā€œpunishā€ Apple.

And irritating the staff at any store you frequent is never a good idea.