CleanMyMacX error while cleaning up system junk?

Hi,

During the clean up process, CleanMyMacX encountered to errors while cleaning out cache:
"This item was cleaned partially.

Errors:

/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.safaridavclient: “com.apple.safaridavclient” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.
/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.homed: “com.apple.homed” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it."

After checking my hard drive, I saw there were several folders I lacked the permission to open. Since I’m new to this I don’t know if it’s normal for some folders to be off limits but I didn’t think so. Its certainly weird that CleanMyMac would try to access folders that are per se off limits.

Is there something I can do to gain access? Is it normal that some folders are unaccessible?

Assuming you gave the app the permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy

I would repair the permissions in your Mac.

Hmm, followed the instructions, then scanned and ran the program (CleanMyMacX) and got the same result:
This item was cleaned partially.

Errors:
/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.safaridavclient: “com.apple.safaridavclient” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.
/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.homed: “com.apple.homed” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.

I wonder if it is generally weird that I lack permission for certain folders like these:
00 45 18

As I said, I’m new to this the and not super sure what I’m doing:)

Before going deeper into it, this “trick” often solves the permission problem:

System Preferences > Users & Groups:
Select your account
Change your password
Reboot the machine

Did you give CMM Full Disk Access? (Essentially what @MacExpert said)

2 Likes

Of course that was it. I’m quite a bit embarrassed, haha.
Thanks for the help JohnAtl!!!

1 Like

No need to be embarrassed, things are always obvious after you know the answer :slightly_smiling_face: