CleanMyMacX error while cleaning up system junk?

Hi,

During the clean up process, CleanMyMacX encountered to errors while cleaning out cache:
"This item was cleaned partially.

Errors:

/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.safaridavclient: “com.apple.safaridavclient” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.
/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.homed: “com.apple.homed” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it."

After checking my hard drive, I saw there were several folders I lacked the permission to open. Since I’m new to this I don’t know if it’s normal for some folders to be off limits but I didn’t think so. Its certainly weird that CleanMyMac would try to access folders that are per se off limits.

Is there something I can do to gain access? Is it normal that some folders are unaccessible?

Assuming you gave the app the permission in System Preferences > Security & Privacy

I would repair the permissions in your Mac.

Hmm, followed the instructions, then scanned and ran the program (CleanMyMacX) and got the same result:
This item was cleaned partially.

Errors:
/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.safaridavclient: “com.apple.safaridavclient” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.
/Users/benjamindecker/Library/Caches/com.apple.homed: “com.apple.homed” couldn’t be removed because you don’t have permission to access it.

I wonder if it is generally weird that I lack permission for certain folders like these:
00 45 18

As I said, I’m new to this the and not super sure what I’m doing:)

Before going deeper into it, this “trick” often solves the permission problem:

System Preferences > Users & Groups:
Select your account
Change your password
Reboot the machine

Did you give CMM Full Disk Access? (Essentially what @MacExpert said)

3 Likes

Of course that was it. I’m quite a bit embarrassed, haha.
Thanks for the help JohnAtl!!!

1 Like

No need to be embarrassed, things are always obvious after you know the answer :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi John!

Thanks for your contribution to the thread. I have the same problem where I receive “couldn’t be removed due to lack of permissions” in my “system junk” section that I’m trying to clean.

I had already provided Full Disk Access to CleanMyMacX, however, still receive the same errors in the log.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason

Welcome to the forum @Jason-1!

Is there a particular file that CleanMyMac can’t remove?

Assuming you have a good backup, you might try using CleanMyMac to repair disk permissions:

Hi John, Thank you for the prompt reply.

It seems to be effecting my folders:

Library/Caches
System/Library/Caches
Library/Logs
private/var
Applications

examples:

“/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/CoreCapture” couldn’t be removed due to lack of permissions.

“/private/var/log/DiagnosticMessages/StoreData” couldn’t be removed due to lack of permissions.

“/private/var/log/system.log.2.gz” couldn’t be removed due to lack of permissions.

“/Applications/Pages.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.iWork.ExternalResourceAccessor.xpc/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.iWork.ExternalResourceValidator.xpc/Contents/Resources/zh_HK.lproj” couldn’t be removed due to lack of permissions.

I have yet to try to Repair Disk Permissions. After a backup, I can give that a try.

Attached are screen shot of system junk log sample.

Thank you,

Jason

Yep switch to the recovery partition and repair permissions using disk utility.

Could you provide more details on “switching to the recovery partition”?

I would try the easy fix first, having CleanMyMac repair permissions. If that doesn’t work, you can escalate to rebooting from the recovery partition (hold command+R when you boot). more here

1 Like

Thanks John for the information. I did have CleanMyMac repair permissions that took care of a lot of the permissions issues. However, I’m still having issues in these areas:

Click on the disclosure triangles to see where the errors are.

hi. having same problem here. I tried having cleanmymac repair permissions. but to no avail. I can’t uninstall these apps

Are you using a macOS account that has administrator privileges?

1 Like

yes. this account is the administrator. I have found out the you can manually delete it by locating it in your library and manually entering your password. but that’s a lot of work. :confused:

Does CleanMyMac have Full disk access?

You give it access, yes.