Compare Safari Ventura with Chromium-based browsers

Me, neither. I always send Safari up to bat. :baseball: But I keep FireFox on deck in case Safari strikes out.

1 Like

Google already has 93% of the world search market so using a Chromium browser doesn’t give them anything. Websites should be built to work well with any W3C complaint browser but that’s not always the case. That means, currently, non-Chromium browsers are the most likely to run into a problem. It’s the same situation we faced for years when Internet Explorer was dominant.

I use Google Chrome to run Google Workspace but Safari has been my primary browser for years. However it’s been having problems with some websites lately which has forced me to use MS Edge most of the time.

I use safari most of the time except for one use case:

I use Microsoft Edge for teams calls rather than the teams app, because it is easier and also a richer experience.

After extensively trying almost any browser out there, I’ve found that Safari, Arc and Orion are the only ones that are capable of syncing “tab sessions” in real time between machines. Like, you close your work computer at the office and when you arrive home all your tabs are there in their corresponding “Tab Group” in Safari/Orion, or “Workspaces” in Arc. I do not think I’ve seen this behaviour in Chrome, Vivaldi, Firefox or Edge (sure they have this “Tabs on other devices”, but it’s not the same thing having to restore the tabs from the other computer into the corresponding tab group on the computer you are using at that moment). Did I miss any browser, Opera perhaps?

Also, Vertical Tabs are useless for me unless there is some tree organizing capability (so Safari “Tab Groups” fall a little bit short). Sidebery on Firefox is great, Arc gets it right with the “folder” metaphore and Orion is looking very promising although it’s still not there (but almost!).

Try Orion - that may work for you

Dedicated Orion user here. Both on Mac and iPhone. It’s like Safari, but on steroids.

I can’t even get Safari to open apple.com without crashing… Edge user, here

Oh, there is for the most people a huge difference, whether the search engine has some insights, or they are opening up everything by using also a Google Browser.
For the most people, searching is not the only thing you could do on the internet, in fact If I have a look onto my Browser History, searching is maybe 2% of what I am doing on the internet, and even the search is often run by an other search engine, instead of Google.

I would never use a Chrome Browser, and giving Google easy access to everything I do on the Internet…

1 Like

Google Chrome is Google’s browser.

Vivaldi, Microsoft Edge, Epic Privacy, Opera, Brave, Yandex, Colibri, and Avast Secure are examples of Chromium based browsers. “Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.”

You are not giving anything to Google when you use a Chromium based browser.

https://www.chromium.org/Home

https://alvarotrigo.com/blog/best-chromium-browsers/

@WayneG, I’m not with you on this. I don’t accept the way Google tries to shape the web and our interactions with it. I will always want an alternative. (For the record, I rarely have any difficulty using Safari to access all parts of the web. And, if I do, FireFox stands ready to help.)

1 Like

If you eliminate any browser that isn’ t based on Chromium, or the Chromium core, you are basically left with Safari and Firefox.

And I don’t know what will happen to them if Ai power Bing and Google Bard turn out to be game changers and require a Chromium browser.

Chromium is Chrome, just reduced by the marketing and some minor Codecs.
And all Chrome/Chromium based Browser are “talking” with Google, as Google is also very open stating in its “Privacy Policies”!

I thought you would haven been more into that business…

So what!?

And how should a “Ai” be a “Game Changer”!?
There is NO WAY that Ai is selecting the right search results for you, unless Musk has success with his Brain Interface!
So, the danger of getting manipulated results even increases significantly, with a so called Ai, picking what you will see for you.

Eh, that’s not supposed to happen. I use Safari all day every day and it never crashes for me. I’d say it has to be something unique to your setup that’s causing it.

2 Likes

No problems with opening apple.com, or any other website with Safari!
If you have a crash on that, you have a more specific problem with your Mac, but this is obviously not singular related to the Browser.

3 Likes

Many of us will continue to live in our Apple ecosystem, happily using Safari and FireFox. :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, were you in favor of Microsoft ruling the web with IE6?

1 Like

My question is, what would Safari and Firefox users do if they could not use all the features of Google and/or Bing? Would they switch to other browsers? Would Apple/Firefox change their browsers to adapt?

Google appears to have panicked when they heard Microsoft’s announcement, botched their own announcement, and as a result their market value dropped by around $100 billion. Google seems to think AI is going to change their business, and so does a lot of their investors. This isn’t just improved search.

CNET: New Microsoft AI-Powered Bing Revealed (Full Demo)

Well, I thought the forum had decided that it was not a good idea to buy into software and hardware based on promised improvements? At this point, AI-powered Chat bots do nothing more than what you or I or any of us can do. Artificial Intelligence simply mimics some of our capabilities. And will probably continue to do so in OS-specific apps as well as browsers.

As far as Google’s botched demo goes, I look forward to more news stories describing AI blunders. We may even get a term for it, like “damn autocorrect!” And mark my words, even worse will be the first lawsuit involving a mistake made by an AI-powered chat bot.

1 Like

This isn’t promised, this is a prototype. I’m just posing some “what if” questions. Trying to keep up with emerging technology is something I’ve been doing since the '80s.

Apple is heavily invested in AI. John Giannandrea is senior vice president of Machine Learning and AI Strategy. So far they are using it to improve their hardware’s features, handwriting to text, drawing with the Apple Pencil, computational photography, and who knows what else?

And it’s been reported they are interested in search. If so this could really get interesting.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/19/apple-to-launch-search-engine-to-rival-google/

Why, there are a lot of alternative search engines available today!
And the investors are not reacting on facts, but on stories and rumors!
The Video you linked is the best proof, that the system is not properly working. I haven’t watched it all, but just take the second example MS is giving in this (well prepared!!) event! They are looking for events in Scottsdale during the SuperBowl.
It shows on the right side, as special feature of the “AI” 5 results!
Looks great!
BUT 3 of those 5 results are not located in Scottsdale, they are in Glendale, Deer Valley and Central PHX!
So, even in this staged showcase, the “AI” is not able to give a proper result, that goes in line with the question, but shows simple some kind of random results, like every other search engine would also do!
The difference might be, that a User of this “AI” is trusting the result, booking an event, and then find out that he has to travel an other hour or more, to get there…!