Copied is now Copied Touch

On the Mac, I’ve been getting “running out of memory” messages since I installed the new Copied. I checked in Activity Monitor, and Copied was using 78 GB of memory. Everything else I’m running is using at most tens or hundreds of megabytes.

So that’s a “nope” to Copied 4.0.0 for me. I’ll look into it again when it updates. I do prefer its interface to all other clipboard managers.

I filed a bug report with the developer this morning and he got back to me quickly with an update that we’re hopeful will solve the problem.

1 Like

Gave Copied aka Copied Touch the boot. My task of streamlining my software apps have led to me imposing stricter criteria.

One is developer engagement. With a multi-year MIA along with some syncing issues and it is out the door.

Based upon some input from MPU I installed Gladys on the Mac. I already had it installed on my iPhone but never used it. I can use it more applications that I need to share between Mac & iPhone. However I am really enjoying the one click operation of MyMind.

I did try Paste as suggested here since I am a SetApp subscriber. Although the UX is a thing of beauty, again too many clicks and takes up precious real estate on my menu bar.

So Removing Paste in favor of a very nice clipboard app called iClip. This is great productivity saver with one click operation.

I have set up many clips as templates and snippets of text such as addresses.

Yes, various Text Expansion programs can provide the same functionality but this requires memorizing various shortcut keys whereas using iClip is less friction as the vertical menu slides out when mouse goes to right edge and you can move the mouse point to the item that you need then in one mouse click over the left arrow copy it wherever your cursor was left so I have gamified much of my tedious text entry.

You can group various clips into sets such as templates & addresses

It is $15 and the UX not as modern as Paste which has much of the same personality. In fact, the functionality is the same but in my case it is 2>3 mouse clicks with Paste and only 1 click for iClip. These clicks add up.

Hello all!

I came here googling around Copied.app and Kevin Chang.

• I’ve used the Copied suite (macos+ios+ipados) in the past, but had to stop when it broke on Catalina beta and no fix came through final and dot1 det do2, so I was forced to uninstall. This was unfortunate as I had programmed a slew of tools around its ‘API’.

• Kevin Chang distribute the non-MAS version of Copied.app via the domain copiedapp.com, which in turn in anonymised behind Registrant Email: pw-825bbe5ce4bb514eabd7dfe801c34d8f@privacyguardian.org. If there are any US user here willing, try calling the listed phone numbers to try and get a statement from mr.Chang.

• To go MIA for 3 years, then return, do minor updates to App and push to app store, but no sign of life on Twitter and no replies to any of my numerous requests, is very atypical for a developer.

All in all there is something that doesn’t feel right. Copied.app needs pretty high elevated access/permissions on macOS for a few projects I am working on. I’m very paranoid when I write this, but the possibility of private developer-certificates and -keys falling in wrong hands, can have enormous implications. I have emailed yet another email to the support email address stated in the App Store, as well as to @copiedapp and to the below cloaked email.

I’m probably just paranoid. What do you guys think?

Btw, there is another alternative Clipboard Center who isn’t too shabby.

More detalls:

Registrant Organization: See PrivacyGuardian.org
Registrant Street: 1928 E. Highland Ave. Ste F104 PMB# 255
Registrant City: Phoenix
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Postal Code: 85016
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.3478717726

There is only a stock email adress there, which I have sent over 15 email to, over the past there yers.

I’ve been in touch with Kevin Chang and am confident continuing to use Copied as long as it continues to function. When it breaks, I’ll find something else – or if something comes along that’s significantly better, I’ll think about moving to that.

There are many clipboard managers out there and they seem roughly equivalent to each other. Copied is one I’m accustomed to using so I’m happy to get it back.

Copied is relatively unsophisticated compared to PasteBot and Copy’emPaste, which can perform filtering and save filters and make screenshots and offer sequential or batch-paste and edit text in many ways, and offer saved lists of copied material. And Copy’em Paste is Mac/iOS too.

We’ve discussed alternatives in threads going back to 2018, including this one from a year ago.

If Copy 'em Paste runs on the Mac and iOS I may take a look.

I don’t look for a lot from a clipboard manager. Mostly I just want to save my clipboard history. I don’t even make much use of saved snippets.

I have a good half-dozen starred (saved) snippets in my main list, including a jpeg of metric/Imperial dimensions for international paper sizes I keep having to refer to (because I’m metric-blind), and a couple of Mastodon usernames/passwords for easy access (since the ‘tooting’ app I use doesn’t integrate with 1Password), plus a separate saved list.

But I make constant use of things like screenshot select-to-clipboard, which I use for 99% of all the things I post to email, text messages and fora like this one (see below). And I keep employed the option to transform copied text clipped to plaintext, and I regularly use the multiclipboard’s text transformations instead of firing up TextSoap or BBEdit.

If you had the extra features and knew them you might well use them. At any rate, the point is that Copied is not roughly equivalent to these other multiple clipboard apps.

Copied does all the things you describe.

Does it do all the things listed? I looked at the online manual for the Mac version and didn’t see text transformations and some other things previously listed. (The manual referred to ‘text formatters’ but the posted link is bad.)

Text formatters = text transformation. I use it frequently on the iPhone, but just about never on the Mac.

To be clear, I do not recommend anyone start out with Copied now, because of the sporadic updating. But I’m happy to use it – though I will probably check out Copy 'em Paste at some point soon.

It’s not unusual to have WHOIS privacy on a domain name registration.

If you call any of those numbers you probably won’t reach Mr. Chang, but the registrar.

However, if you did reach him, what statement are you looking for?

If you don’t trust software or its author it’s probably better to look for an alternative (examples in posts above).

Not only unusual but unfortunately in this day and age the recommended minimum standard.

This app fails one of my three criteria for app selection under developer engagement.

I am sticking with iCopied and love the productivity of this app. No other app offers 1 click pasting. Textexpander will do one shortcut pasting but require you to memorise a bunch of shortcuts

FYI: The universal version of Copied is discounted to $5.99

In addition, iClip (mentioned above) is included in the latest Bundlehunt for $4 plus a $1 unlock fee.

That’s the Mac app, not sure what you mean by universal. The iOS app is $0.99, but I believe it used to be free. If so, save $2 on one app, pay an extra $1 for the other.

Universal means buying the app from one store (the Mac store in this case) entitles you to both the Mac and iOS apps at no extra charge.

In that case it’s not true, since the iOS app is a separate $0.99. You’re merely getting free sync

On the Mac store page you’ll see: “Copied for iOS and iPadOS is now included at no additional cost.” Copied Touch is the stand-alone iOS app with the same functionality as the one included in the purchase from the Mac store.

Good catch! That’s a new one on me. :+1:

Well I think iClip is the best clipboard utility app but it is Mac only and others share between MACOS and IOS. I am using Gladys for this functionality which I particularly do not need that much in my workflow.

However the real find here is another delivery model of Bundlehunt

@gxwilso Thanks for that find. I am happy to see the development of new delivery models like Setapp and now Buddlehunt as an augmentation of the Mac App store.

An often overlooked area in applications is the PR and Marketing required. The same goes for books. Many a good content remains under the radar due to not getting the attention of prospective customers.

1 Like