DayOne General Dissatisfaction

@Diane - Thanks I can’t imagine anyone stuck to a single device :wink:

OneNote is a clever idea. I will resonate with my wife.

@slyfox If I abandon DayOne this is one route I might go. I don’t really want the tax of switching vaults 2-3 times day. (I know I’m being picky)

@wiredfractal This is parent showing concern for their child, not advice from a professional.

@liminal Everlog is now my list to checkout

@chrisecurtis Thanks for raising Dairly

@kennonb Another vote for Everlog

@Nick and I thought Journey was an 80’s band :slight_smile:

@MacSparky thanks for the reply. FWIW I don’t expect you to reply to anything I tag you in. I tag you for things that I think will be interesting to you. Your trick worked, DayOne responded. It bugs me, I had to invoke an outside power (you), support should work for all paying customers.

Mostly, I wanted you to know that not all is well in land of DayOne. You mention them a fair bit (with good cause) and so I thought you would want to hear that support as fallen over. If you believe some replies to my FB post in their group, I’m not the only experiencing this.

One more idea - consider doing a MPU podcast or at least section where you survey the current state of the world with these tools.

3 Likes

Man - I used to use the heck out of DayOne. As a digital journal, it’s very good. Things start to fall apart when you want to print your journals and/or have some options on how you place photos.

Since 2020, I’ve created all of my digital (and print) journals in Pages. Once you settle on a workflow, Pages is a wonderful journaling tool.

1 Like

I use DayOne almost everyday with no issues whatsoever. I love it.

Mind you, my needs are simple. I write a paragraph or five, insert an image or seven, and I move on.

1 Like

You could have several Vaults open at the same time… :wink:

I would love to have to vaults open, I didn’t know that would work on the iPad.

At least it works on the Mac. I wasn’t aware, that Obsidian do not support that on the iPad, but I found a couple of requests for that feature on a Obsidian related Forum, so maybe in the (near) future…?

I found the link where Automattic semi-apologises for radio silence on Day One. It’s on the Day One blog: https://dayoneapp.com/blog/updates-on-day-one/

I hadn’t realised it was from last August and things are still VERY quiet over there.

Didn’t they buy Pocket Casts as well? It’s been the same state of “quietness” on that app too.

Ya know, six months of “programmer time” goes by a lot faster than six months of waiting for a new release. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Apps that aren’t developing, are dying. I kind of wish that wasn’t true, but it is.

Not being a developer I don’t know if this is true or not but it is one reason I stopped using Scrivener. Development of the app has been nearly non-existent. I realize it is a mature app but I would not be surprised if at some point it gets acquired by another company. That could be either good or bad.

2 Likes

Ouch! That was funny. :joy:

In all seriousness, I understand completely the need to charge subscriptions and I believe that many developers use that money to enhance their apps and sustain their operations to the benefit of users. On the other hand, users (customers) are always assessing ROI. I do not begrudge developers their subscription but I strive to severely limit subscriptions, not only for apps, but for many services. For example, I cancelled Netflix, Disney+, and others because there is a better use for my money. I”m considering cancelling Amazon Prime as well.

I just prefer owning, rather than “renting/leasing” as much of my stuff as possible. Obviously, one can’t avoid all subscriptions, e.g., Internet and cell services. That said, I do find that subscriptions are getting out of hand. Some of the money would be better put to use in investments and giving to hose in need.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with this. Apps that aren’t constantly developing may have reached feature maturity. In the case of a journalling app, I don’t want more and more bloat.

6 Likes

Automattic - where apps go to die…

I don’t want bloat either and Day One works well enough for me, but development needs to turn to refinement, from new features, at the point of maturity. When a relatively expensive subscription app goes into maintenance mode, it does not have long for this world, except in its niche. It’s very vulnerable to a new kid on the block who has a better grasp of what users want and expect now.

There are parts of Day One that really need refinement (e.g. it doesn’t quite look or work the same on iPad and Mac and that catches me out often). Its options for line spacing and line length are minimal (but maybe just enough) and there are none for paragraph spacing. They’ve had issues (e.g. lag in the editor on some Macs and iPads) open for more than six months with no fixes. Export is tragically limited (maybe deliberately as a lock in).

I still think its the best I have found for my needs, which is why I am using it and paying for it, but I don’t love it and that makes me sad.

1 Like

This is all fair and you’re not wrong. I’d love to see general improvements. But they were on the bloat train for a while — not that it makes this better, it’s just two different sides of the same coin I guess.

2 Likes

Which is why left DayOne. Many of us were making - I think - very simple requests:

“DayOne… please put back the weather and location into your PDFs when your export to print.”

The response was often: “That shouldn’t be a big deal, it’ll happen.” Meanwhile, every new iteration of the software included another way to import video, audio, tweets. Bloat was one of the reasons I gave up my subscription.

1 Like

Ironically just got a TestFlight build listing this:

Prod version just pushed to the App Store. Downloading now.

1 Like

I realize this may be a stupid question … but how do I add the weather to each item/entry? On iOS I see how to do this one entry at a time. Is there no default way to have weather auto-included with all new entries and all old entries?

On Mac OS it’s worse. I’m not even seeing a way to add weather for one specific entry.

I realize I may be missing something obvious … but it’s weird to me that there’s not a way to auto-include weather info. It must be possible somehow but finding nothing helpful in settings.