DayOne General Dissatisfaction

There are limitations with the built weather on this day in the app.

For fun I wrote simple shortcut called Weather to DayOne: Shortcuts

I run it at noon, every day.

1 Like

I get weather in my default Journal without having to do anything. I think I just chose the weather service (Apple as Dark Sky doesn’t work any more, I think) in advanced settings. I find the various settings menus a complete mess in Day One, and have to spend a long time going through all the possibilities and trying something.

@mlevison Thanks so much! I’ll give that shortcut a go!
@chrisecurtis Weird … not true for me. Seems easier to do all this on iOS than on MacOS. I’m kind of assuming you are mainly using iOS to do this?

I plan on cancelling Day One this month. If I delete it on all but one iPad will my entries still be there?

I have it backed up on Carbon Copy Clone and seldom use Day One. Just don’t want to lose what I added before I bought the subscription. I have scarcely used it since.

@Katie Might be wise to export everything before you cancel. I’d probably do it in all available formats (DayOne json, text and pdf) - there are quite a few things that import Day One json (e.g. Bear and other journal apps) and at least you’ve got the content in the other formats

2 Likes

@Mathew_T_Mitchell I use Day One on iPad and Mac. I seem to have weather whichever one I created an entry on

That’s great! But I see no way to turn “on” weather on the Mac. On the iPhone I found a way to activate the weather for one individual post … which later shows up on the Mac/iPad. But that seems very cumbersome. I’m looking for a way that weather shows up on every post. And that’s what I can’t find. I don’t really care if the key to permanent activation is only on the phone … but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I share my head and think “This can’t be how this software is supposed to work” but maybe I’m wrong.

For example I see “Auto Add Location” in the preferences. Something similar is what I’d expect for the weather option.

@Mathew_T_Mitchell I wish I could help. I think the preferences in Day One in Mac and IoS are a mess. For all I know, I set something up years ago that you can’t do any more. I can’t see where I would turn on weather now either.

I just noticed that someone from Day One said on reddit that it was a known bug in the last couple of releases and would be fixed.

1 Like

Chris: Thanks so much! I can see that all my entries from years ago have weather data associated with them. I’ll just be patient … but this added information really helps me to know I wasn’t missing something “obvious”.

1 Like

I see they now have a web version, just announced.

Is Everlog pay once, use forever , or does it require a subscription?

I’m using Day One as I got in before they switched to a subscription model, and don’t have to pay a subscription.

They occasionally try to get me to switch to a subscription, but In just ignore it.

It they ever offer a one-time payment to upgrade to a new version, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Same. I have a couple of subscription apps that I haven’t found good replacements for , and I don’t follow their releases as the app had every feature that I wanted on day one.

So, I’m paying a monthly fee to keep their servers running, I guess.

Both. It’s $18/yr or $41/lifetime.

1 Like

I had a sudden pop-up in Day One asking me if I loved it (looking for app store ratings, I assume). I clicked “not really” and was invited to give them feedback. I sent this:

Day One is the best journalling system, but I wish I loved it more than I do.
Particular issues are:

• too different an experience between iPad and Mac with the Mac a poor second. I am constantly trying to do things on the Mac that I can’t.
  • Why are buttons in different places across different devices?
  • the settings are a mess and it’s really hard to work out where any setting might be. There are even two different setting buttons in the same sidebar on the iPad (one each side of the cloud indicator)
  • there is no option for paragraph spacing and setting font size and line height and line width by slider is clumsy and hard to replicate
  • export is woefully poor. You need to be able to produce a file for each entry selected for export and incorporate images in them.
  • book printing is a nice option, but impractical, painfully slow and very expensive if you are outside the US
  • a lot of these issues go back years. You regularly update the apps, but only for maintenance.
  • the subscription gives me pause every time it comes up for renewal. It’s worth it for an app that I use every day, but I have a sneaking feeling that Day One is a cash cow and I’m supplying the cash.

Sorry to be negative but it’s genuinely how I feel. This app is so nearly great but it frustrates me, which gets in the way of my focus when I am journaling.

What’s good is the sync (at least it is now). I still have the scars from a few years ago and not knowing if I’d lose what I had written. I’d still like easier local backups. Trusting your cloud is too big an ask.

I like the range of fonts available and the UI on the iPad is good. Templates work well, but it’s too hard to use more than one template in a journal. Performance is good, especially in the iPad. Some obvious editing features (E.g. simple table layouts) are impossible.
genuinely hoping this is helpful feedback. Day One is still the best, but I find myself hoping that one of the younger apps (like Diarly or Everlog) catches you up and overtakes you.

A day later I got this (boilerplate) reply:

Thank you for reaching out to Day One Support with some feature requests.

These are all great requests! Although not features we currently offer or have planned, they are all already logged as we’ve heard from other users they would love to see similar features, especially the request for table layouts, so I’ve added your comments as “votes” for these.

I’ve checked and we have no timeline for any of these requests, but that’s not to say we won’t take a look for the future!

It didn’t help my sense of “general dissatisfaction”.

2 Likes

There’s nothing worse than writing a thoughtful piece of feedback and getting a pre-written “hopefully this makes them happy, their-email-went-straight-to-the-trash” response.

2 Likes

It’s been a couple years since I was on the free plan so I don’t remember the specifics. But they shouldn’t delete your data but it will be frozen in place outside of the single journal you’re allowed.

1 Like

I feel like the complaint about not having family sharing is an unjust one. Just because it is something that Apple allows developers to use doesn’t mean if it’s a paid app do they have do it. There are plenty of MPU cannon apps that sell only single computer licenses or have a more expensive license for multiple users/computers. Not sure how this is any different to how DayOne is doing it. I have seen apps do this where they have a slightly higher subscription price for family sharing but may be less than 2+ subscriptions it would require for a family to subscribe individually. Considering that there are server costs involved with their sync services I think either route is totally justified. You can use the app totally free you just don’t have sync across devices + power users features. It may be a good way to see if this is actually a system that works for your family before forking over $42 CAD.

As for your point around MS Office, they are working at an economy of scale that most companies can’t even imagine. There are numerous companies paying for O365 that bring in more revenue to Microsoft than all of DayOne’s revenue.

5 Likes

Sorry to bring this one back up, but I honestly think that anyone who has important things in Day One needs to be careful, keep backups and (as always) don’t just take things for granted.

I finally got round to trying to process my hiking journal into an ePub. I know that Day One doesn’t do anything helpful like a direct ePub export (you can buy printed books from them). I had a fun afternoon figuring out a workflow to take markdown from Day One into Typora, which will produce (quite good) epubs.

It was all working well, except that none of the images were appearing in Typora. I started to troubleshoot. There was a folder of images in the export but Typora didn’t have any of the markdown image links. There were blank lines where I expected them to be. Eventually, with a code editor, I could see that there were no references in the markdown file from Day One. I hit the help guide to see if I needed to set something different with the export, but it was clear: Plain Text: This exports a zip file that contains a single text file with all your selected entries. These entries include inline references to photos (not the actual photos). The actual photos are in an included photos folder.*

I shot off an email to Day One support and got a reply within hours: " We apologize for the outdated information in that help guide. References to media have been removed from plain text exports at this time as the file names were not matching with the reference ID in the .txt files. We do hope to add these back in at a later date."

I found myself wondering what else has been deprecated without anyone being told. I know there used to be html export that disappeared quietly some time ago and there have been all sorts of other odd problems (e.g. with weather being added to journals). I got that creeping feeling that maybe I didn’t want to trust Day One with ten years of journals any more. I had nightmare visions of discovering that things didn’t work when I most needed them.

All those thoughts and memories are important to me. I stayed with Day One because I was not sure that small independent developers could offer the long-term security that I was after. I now wonder whether Day One can. Automattic are experts on hosting writing and I don’t think the storage and sync is likely to go wrong, but I felt the rug pulled from under me. I had always assumed I would be able to get my journals out of Day One in a form that I could do something with them, myself, but I can’t, at least for now.

A developer whose system does not behave as they describe it is still not in a happy place, over eighteen months since they came close to failure and were acquired.

I’m grappling with what to do myself, and I won’t announce it when I decide, but ultimately any system will fail and a wise nerd has made a plan before it all goes horribly wrong.

6 Likes