DEVONthink or KeepIt?

It seems a little premature to judge a possibly completely redesigned app and what it could bring. I want to see before making a call.

1 Like

Trust me, I have inside view :blush:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you’ll be disappointed to be honest. It’s pretty substantial for a quality of life update but not like a different app from before.

Did most of you pay $15 for it originally? (I did.)

Yes, paid for DTTG plus top up for premium which is still buggy. Vocal about those bugs on DT forum and gotten typical “we will fix those in next update but can’t tell you when” answer :unamused:

Still love DEVONthink on Mac but no love for DTTG.

I paid for DTTG but not the IAP just yet. Was thinking about IAP. I like the idea of the metadata sync for the premium but since I don’t sync all my apps it’s not really necessary yet.

You should probably wait on buying that IAP then.

That’s the plan. I’ll see what DTTG 3 pricing looks like and what I’ll actually need

Ah. Thanks for letting me / us know. If it’s not really different, then indeed a subscription seems preposterous.

KeepIt just released a nice update for Big Sur and it looks pretty good. KeepIt never quite felt as good for me as DT has, but I don’t use anything in DT that isn’t in KeepIt except the web export to markdown and notes on items. Bear can also export to markdown though, and I could easily adapt to that new method. I’m still lacking finder comments, but that is a trade off I’m willing to consider.

I’m giving KeepIt a 1 month test in place of DT to see how it goes.

2 Likes

I’ve been using DT Office Pro. DT is a great database but as others have pointed out, the iOS version is terrible. Given the expected of a subscription for the upcoming update to the iOS version I’m open to checking out other options. Does anyone know how KeepIt’s iOS version compares to DT’s?

1 Like

I have last tried it about a year ago but it was solid, much more feature complete than DTTG (and almost on par with Keep It for Mac). I did not keep it (hah) though because I kept running into a million small annoying bugs and the app felt really unpolished. Plus DT gives me E2EE very simply. And honestly, the Keep It icon is just horrendous. But that last one is really not a good reason. :yum:

2 Likes

That’s enough to keep me away from it. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m still hopefully for KeepIt, but adding a grain of salt to my optimism now.

DTTG has more from what I can see.

Shared Features:

• Favorites (Flag & Star)
  • Tagging
  • Convert (With a caveat. DTTG prompts at conversion for the destination type. KeepIt forces you to select a default in the settings.
  • Move Items
  • Share Items

DTTG Features:

• Convert to Markdown, Plain Text, Rich Text, Web Archive, and Formatted Note. (Some being source dependent).
  • Geolocation
  • Comments
  • Pro Package including files on demand, PDF annotations, support for me email and sheets.

KeepIt is certainly lagging a bit, but I guess that depends on your use case.

3 Likes

Speaking of little annoying bugs, I cannot add an item to a bundle on mobile right now. Both “Move to” options for folder and bundle only show me folders, and I cannot add an item into a bundle directly either.

Folders are like databases in DT
Bundles are like groups in DT

Scratch all that. I realized I didn’t have the bundles from my Mac synced to iOS. I turned on “Download All Items” on iOS and the bundles were available.

1 Like

IF the new DTTG is a big improvement I may need to spring for the subscription as I use my iPad a lot.

2 Likes

I use KeepIt interchangeably on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone and I don’t notice anything missing anywhere.

My use case is pretty simple. For the most part I use it to … keep things in. And to find them again, which I do mostly with my folder structure but sometimes with search (which hasn’t failed me yet).

The best feature, and the one that tipped me back to KeepIt, is the ability to scan directly into KeepIt on any platform. I scan receipts with my phone using this feature.

The feature which I never ended up using when I originally bought it, but which I may do in the future, is the ability for KeepIt users to share contents via iCloud.

1 Like

I understand much of the information on the new version is confidential, but can anyone testing answer whether the new version still feels like a second class citizen compared to the Mac version?

KeepIt is not really doing it for me, but DTTG is in need of the update.

I don’t see any time soon where DEVONthink to Go is ever being close to matching the power and features of DEVONthink on macOS. If nothing else, the current differences in what’s possible on macOS vs. iOS/iPadOS would be a limiting factor.

Three and a half years later …

… and I find myself asking the same question.

2 Likes