Devonthink to go 3

I’ve tested DEVONthink to Go 3 throughout the very very long alpha/beta process. I think it is solid and reliable. Check out the release notes in the app. Users of DEVONthink to Go 2.x (installed) can receive a long trial period. For me the most stable piece of v3 is its use of CloudKit rather than legacy iCloud for sync. It’s faster and more reliable.

4 Likes

In DT3 Settings - Sync Locations I see iCloud (Legacy). How do I switch to the new sync method?

Press “Edit” in the upper right corner of Locations.

BTW – you need to first set up a CloudKit sync store in DEVONthink 3 on the desktop and wait for the desktop to finish its first sync via CloudKit. What I did is create the CloudKit sync store there, then turn off the iCloud (Legacy) store. Back on the phone or iPad you’ll have to turn off Legacy, turn on CloudKit. I actually first wiped the databases off the phone and iPads and resynced – but I think that might just be me being anal and that step might not not be necessary.

1 Like

Also important to note: a new DT for Mac update hasb een released with support for CloudKit, apparently.

1 Like

Is there any reason that PDFs that are showing fine in DTTG 2 are saying “Unable to display document - either not a PDF or corrupted?” Tried OCR on one document and it did not go well. Moving files via context menu best feature I’ve seen so far. Feeling underwhelmed. I don’t use shortcuts, but look forward to seeing what others will do with it.

DEVONtechnolgies article on DEVONthink to Go 3 – includes a link to upgrade information, and features

1 Like

How do you deal with frequently used PDF files? I have a PDF file that I need to reference often on my iPad. PDF viewing on DT is mediocre. The only option I see is to copy PDF to PDF Expert. Should I just stick to PDF Expert and dump frequently used PDF files there instead of DT?

Link at the bottom of the page I quoted

Takes you to this page

You’ll actually find better info in their forum.

Quoting Blog post: “DEVONthink To Go 3.0”:

As we don’t want to force anyone to upgrade to version 3 we are making DEVONthink To Go 3 available as a new app in the App Store. It’s a free download that, after a free one-month trial, asks for either a subscription or a one-time payment for the 3.x generation. Subscriptions are available for US $1.99 per month or US $14.99 per year, the one-time purchase is US $39.99.

If you have DEVONthink To Go 2.7.8 or later installed on your device, version 3 offers you a free intro period until the end of July, 2021, and thereafter a price-reduced one-time purchase for US $19.99.

So there’s a free trial, and then either:

1. a subscription with a lower price for those who want to try it
  2. a lifetime purchase option for those who don’t like subscriptions
  3. an upgrade price for those who bought the previous version.

Hard to imagine how they could have done this any better than they did.

Bravo, DEVONTechnologies!

10 Likes

With that, V2 was a one-off $23 with the add-on and V3 is $39.
That’s a huge jump. I’m new to DT so I can’t compare one version to another. To those that are familiar I ask, does this new version justify a 70% increase?

I haven’t used the new version yet, but from what I’ve heard from everyone during the beta, it is a much, much better version. Version 2 was extremely limited, and mostly useful as a “viewer” of your DT database. Version 3 seems much more like a standalone app.

Plus it now uses iCloud syncing, which is a huge increase.

To be honest, I would say that v2 was not worth $20 to me, but I fully expect to buy v3 once I’ve had a chance to use it.

YMMV, of course. The good news is that there’s a trial period, so you can find out for yourself if you think it is worth its asking price.

2 Likes

The $20 mentioned here is discounted for current v2 owners.

If you do not even own DTTG, then the cost comparison is irrelevant. Don’t concern yourself with what the price used to be. Look at the price now and compare it to what you want to do. If it meets your needs and the cost is doable, buy it. I would not have cared if they charged v2 owners full price. It is one of the few apps that I will pay for no matter how they structure the cost, like Drafts.

3 Likes

I have found one problem that carries over from DTTG 2 and it was one that I reported. When creating at Text note, a TextExpander snippet will not expand in the Body field of the note without hitting the [return] key. It expands as expected in the Name field.

also, I do not understand the lack of TE fill-in snippet support. They are giving us nothing that we cannot do with the TE keyboard. it’s really frustrating.

I can purchase V2 or V3. I can’t make a judgement call about the versions because I’m too inexperienced- that’s why I’m asking the brain trust

Sorry, I did not realize they were still offering DTTG2. I would recommend DTTG3 for the Cloudkit Sync alone…

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback​:+1::+1::+1:

I just had a private 30 mins session with DTTG 3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What I like so far (that are not listed in the ‘new features’ blog post):

• Allow use of x-callback-url for link editing on PDFs
  • Option to disable remote image on emails
  • Somewhat bolder color palette choices
    • v3 icon and text colors feels (or in fact?) have more opaque, whereas the v2 pale
    • I use light mode, and the slight-yellowish tint is gone now. Whites are true white now.
  • True modals and popups
    • v2’s feels don’t belong on the iOS, maybe custom made?
    • v3’s feels more familiar
      • it includes fix for Empty Trash confirmation popup on iPad
  • Fixed item content counts on database lists
1 Like

What do you mean by the trash popup? Whenever I tap empty trash, the popup flies to the top of the screen, which makes me often miss-tap. (This is when used in split view on iPad.)

As for item counts, mine still often shows a small “-“, requiring an app restart to fix.

Yes I mean this. On iPad, pressing “Empty trash”: the sidebar will persist and the confirmation pops out over the “Trash Bin” icon. Just how we expect confirmation modal should be!

I have not experienced this, not on my iPad Mini with all files downloaded, nor on my iPhone SE 2016 with on-demand sync.
It might be a bug on the v3. If that so, may I suggest contact them for support/bug feature?