Did you Pre-Order the Studio Display Monitor?

Here’s what Austin Mann says about True Tone when editing photos on his XDR monitor: “Perhaps my favorite aspect of these new configurations is when switching to a preset other than the default “Apple XDR Display,” the True Tone and Night Shift features are disabled, and Brightness is manually set and not adjustable. This is exactly the way it should be for color consistency. Previously, I’ve turned off True Tone/Night Shift permanently (despite the clear benefits) just because I don’t like the idea of shifting color, but now I’ll gladly leave those features on for general use.”

3 Likes

Anyone gotten a shipping notification yet? Normally when I pre-order things I get my shipping/tracking info at least by Monday the week of (Friday) delivery. Nothing so far, which makes me wonder if it’s coming on Friday.

Worst part is the one I should get Friday is the version (stand) I don’t think I’m keeping. The version with the stand I think I’m keeping isn’t coming until May. That means I’ll use the Studio display for a week+, have to return it, and then have to live without it for 2 months. First-worldy - I know.

I have had multiple of the LGs and can confirm for you that each one had a slightly different colour profile. They just weren’t calibrated to the same spec every time. It was one of the things that drove me nuts about those displays: even if you had two side by side, they weren’t likely to match, even though they should have.

Your only options here: two matching displays that win the panel lotteries, or getting a calibration tool and using that to colour match them.

2 Likes

Based on the setup you posted in the other review thread, I decided to try using the LG UltraFine 4K with my Studio Display. The LG 4K replaced my 24" Dell 4K, which is not Retina. To my dismay, though, after connecting the LG, I found, like you, that the panel is a bit unevenly lit, and the colors and white balance do not match.

Fortunately, I have a i1 Display Pro color calibrator and that got the LG’s colors to match the Studio Display’s pretty closely. I’m exchanging the LG 4K in hopes that the replacement has a more evenly lit panel. And if it does, I’m inclined to keep the LG and cancel my order for an additional Studio Display.

BTW, @anon20961960, if you’d like to borrow my color calibrator—I know they’re expensive given how infrequently they’re used—feel free to DM me, and we can work out a way to get it to you.

1 Like

Just wanted to follow-up on this. I got the replacement LG 24" UltraFine 4K today, and it has a much more even panel. After I color callibrated the LG, it looks pretty good along side the Studio Display, When I get my desk cleaned up from all the uproar caused by switching computers, I’ll post a photo of my setup.

Update: On a whim, I enabled True Tone on my Studio Display, and to my surprise, it also changed the tone of the LG 4K. Sufficed to say, I’ve cancelled my order for a second Studio Display as it seems the LG UltraFines fulfill my need for a secondary monitor, which of course is setup in portrait.

2 Likes