Eero pro v6 post from MacSparky

Off topic but important: What Geoff says here is absolutely true. The news is full of targeted ransomware attacks these days, but opportunistic spam-based attacks happen frequently. I’ve seen this happen more than once.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled WiFi discussion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not sure where the $600 price point same from, but Costco has (as of this post) a 4-pack of Eero 6 Dual band (less desirable than a Tri- band setup) for $379.
I’m sure there are many models of the Eero 6, and that they all may have different features and maximum speeds.

Those quoting $600 were specifically talking about the pro.

1 Like

Secure+ user here - transferred my 1Password subscription over and set up MalwareBytes to automatically scan 1x day, which confirmed for me that AV isn’t necessary for me on the Mac but it’s good to know that anyway.

Does the VPN service work at the router level? That’s the one thing I’m not getting from ExpressVPN

EncryptMe does not work at the router level, it has to be installed in each device.

Bummer - feels like a missed opportunity. Thanks!

Installed my new Eero 6 Pros with my new 1GB internet and am really happy with how it is all working. Certainly has improved the coverage upstairs in my house. Will also be signing up for Eero Secure+ once the free trial is over since the 1Password subscription (I already pay for this) is plenty to make the numbers work. The entire discussion in this tread has been useful. Installing the Eeros did take a bit of work as the router my ISP provided for the 1GB internet involved conflicting instructions for setting up as a bridge. After multiple conversations with the ISP the actual solution simply involved turning off WiFi (was continually puzzled why this was not part of the first set of instructions I was given…but finally talked to a smart person). After that all went well.

Yes I believe that eero secure won’t work in bridge mode, so that’s good to get worked out.

Currently on the trial for Eero Secure and it seems to be working well so whatever it requires seems to be present.

1 Like

So I was looking for any way I could trade in my Gen 1 Eero Pros 3 pack. I found that Amazon does take the Gen 1 Pros 3 pack for trade in ( not great value) but they also do offer 20% off of the current Eero Pro 6. This will bring down to $416.00

But still I’m not convinced as my ISP only drivers up to 240 MB download :relaxed:

Anyone looking to upgrade to Eero Pro 6 from previous eeros should consider trading in and then bagging 20% discount.

Thank you for posting this. I did not know about the eero trade-in and 20% off at Amazon. I just submitted my old eero for the trade-in program.

1 Like

Glad that it helped you. Enjoy the new Eero

1 Like

I just sent off one of my Gen 1 units as a trade in. They wouldn’t give me the new product discount until they received the old hardware and I wasn’t willing to be without most of my WiFi coverage while waiting for trade in evaluation and new equipment delivery.

The unit I sent in won’t impact coverage and the estimated value for 1x Gen 1 was 1/3 what they would have sent for 3 so I figured I could trade in the other 2 units once I’m set up on the new hardware.

I’ll add this to feedback. I didn’t realize this was an option. I am glad my old units are helping against wildfires though. :slight_smile:

I didn’t trade mine in either. I wonder if it’s too late to trade them in now.

@macsparky I was just wondering if there was an option for me to put these to good use. If it was just for trade in value I would not even think about sending them to Amazon. The 20% off on top of that for the latest Eero Pro Gen 6 is a good one for now at least.

1 Like

It’s worth a call to Amazon support. Pretty sure they would honor it. If not return the old one and order one with discount.

So you purchased 1 Pro 6 and noticed a huge jump? And the rest of your eeros are cupcakes?

Have you noticed any differences in wifi stability in addition to speed?

I have a few related questions. I’ve just moved my home office & eero 5 into a backyard shed that’s about 100’ from my eero 5 pro router. At the moment it’s getting about 7% of the full speed I get on the main router (17-18 Mbps vs. 230 Mbps) and 25% of what it used to get when it was 30’ away.

Has anyone used an eero 5 beacon to extend range?
Has anyone using eero 6 noticed range improvements?

My speed is fast enough for my needs and not close to the max for eero 5. But I’d consider the upgrade if it could offer better performance at longer range.