Email client in 2021

Oh, Mimestream wins by being a fully native Mac wrapper for GMail, it aims to operate even the slightest GMail functionality in a native way. (Want to change a label color from Mimestream? Check!)

Granted, it cannot do much more than what the GMail web does but feels totally native.

1 Like

I’m not trying to change your mind but Airmail has had Send Later for a while. Between that and integrating with OF, it’s my client of choice even though I think its search is downright awful and incredibly aggravating. I also like the Snoozing feature.

1 Like

No worries and thanks :slightly_smiling_face: Airmail does have Send Later but for the longest time it was buggy with aliases. I downloaded it again and it seems like it works better, but Gmail will still refuse those messages, where Spark manages to get through.
Airmail is the best app wrapped in a thousand paper cuts. I just wish the devs would get their act together, but they are utterly unable to listen. I’ve been hoping for too many years.

4 Likes

Update: nope, Airmail still does not reliably send later using aliases. When I contacted support, they dared answer “oh, but we never promised this would work…”

If it’s possible to configure in the app then it’s supposed to work, dammit! at the very least, disable that option (which used to be the case when AM only send later with Gmail and Exchange)

I’ve first reported that issue to them a year ago so it’s not like it’s they’re discovering it. What can I say?

1 Like

I hate the fact that I pay for Airmail but I can’t find a better alternative for my use.

5 Likes

I use Apple Mail (Mac OS & iOS) for one account and also Spark (MacOS) for a secondary account I have been enjoying Appple Mail it seems to have everything I need though my email workflow is not too complicated with the need for creating To Dos in Things being most intense need (I manage that with a copy and paste with creating a new to do). I am a librarian in terms of organization so I like being able to catalog my mail in folders and that works well with Mails paradigm. Spark seems alright though I find the auto-move function not as robust and I haven’t used the hooks as needed into other services nor do I need the collaboration featuers.

I use Outlook on iOS for MPOW, which works very well with Office365 mail and it is great to have the work email calendar and email in single app so I can keep mail and calendar focused on my phone.

I would love to know if anyone has other ideas or thoughts a better way to manage email.

This thread has provided great inspiration to try all the things and break stuff again. Thanks?
I’m using Spark but am dismayed by the persistence of UI issues after macOS 11. I also love the implementation of signature switching and use it about twice a day.
I’m most excited to try Outlook again, then Apple Mail. I have sworn off AirMail after determining that the application did not send reliably– an issue that persisted for months; don’t make an email client that has send issues for months, okay?

4 Likes

Sad news from Mailplane:

• We are no longer selling licenses for Mailplane
  • Mailplane will continue to function for existing customers and we’ll try our best to keep it running
  • If you have bought Mailplane in the last 60 days, reply to this email if you want a refund

Why?

Google has started blocking embedded browsers from its login page. See to read its announcement.

Although there is a solution for apps that work with the Gmail API, unfortunately none are available for specialized browsers like Mailplane which are built on top of Gmail’s web interface.[…]In the last 6 months, we have tried everything to find an official solution with Google, but without success.[…] We’ve already started working on the next major version, but we don’t feel we can bury our heads in the sand and happily continue selling licenses and developing new features. It would come back to bite us for sure.[…] We will continue trying to work around the blockade and keep Mailplane alive for existing customers as long as possible.

It seems Gmail API clients like Mimestream will be the only viable alternatives to traditional IMAP clients.

3 Likes

I’m so sad for those devs, they are so dedicated.

And happy I’m not using Google anywhere anymore.

How do you avoid using Google? Of the 3.8 billion email users in the world, 1.8 billion use Google. :grinning:

Any smtp-compliant mail hosting works great on Apple Mail, and if you want good web interface, Fastmail is your friend.

To share my experience, I do not completely avoid Google. Still use YouTube and Photos for myself. Occasionally use GDocs (that invite link uses GMail) for clients, friends’ project.

I used Fastmail, but migrates to Private Email because of montly cost.

3 Likes

I mean personally. If course I can’t avoid sending email to Gmail domains. However, personally, I’m avoiding as many Google related services as I can:

• I’m not using Gmail, but Fastmail
  • I’m not using any G suite apps, but iWork or Craft
  • I’m not using the search engine, but Qwant, Ecosia or DuckDuckGo
  • I’m not using Chrome, but Safari or Brave
  • I’m not using their DNS as much as I’m able, and blocking any of their creepy stuff through AdGuard.

I do use YouTube, but because there are no alternatives here.

1 Like

Wow! I spent most of my Sunday browsing email app threads (there are a lot) on MPU and figured Mailplane and Mimestream would be a decent progression from the Gmail web app for my GSuite/Workspace needs.
Testing out Mimestream now, but it looks like I’ll not be getting around to Mailplane.

1 Like

Caveat emptor.

(Even if sadly there’s not emptor-ing to be made anymore…)

1 Like

Not much to say except that we’re getting cornered by Airmail now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Understood, I was attempting to be funny.

I don’t worry about Google. I know from experience that no email message is private and there is no way I can use the public internet without being tracked. So I have a paid Workspace account and 2 free Gmail accounts and use many of their other products/services. Anything I need to keep private stays offline and/or is heavily encrypted. IMO, Google has some of the best technology available and it makes my life easier. YMMV

1 Like

Ha, sorry, I must have channeled my grumpy cat persona :sweat_smile:

Yes, Gmail is absolutely a stellar platform. It’s just that I’ve spent years in the Microsoft / Android / Google spheres before finding religion with Apple. So now I’m trying to sell my soul to Apple only. :grin:

2 Likes

No problem, I didn’t detect any grumpy vibes.

1 Like

Nice analogy!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of MailMate (I’m a patron, paying extra on a quarterly basis), but the one thing that keeps me from moving to it for my “main” email client is the lack of local mailboxes. All storage mailboxes need to be IMAP mailboxes. (Smart mailboxes, a raison d’être for using MailMate, aren’t storage mailboxes.) I, uh, save a lot of email …

I think Mimestream is easily the best client for Gmail, if you don’t like the standard web interface. Alas, corporate IT policies keep me from using it at work, so I have a “sort of” stand-alone version of Gmail created with the More Tools > Create Shortcut… command in Chrome. (Yes, I know.) Detailed steps here: How to put a Gmail shortcut on the desktop and icon on the taskbar – Pinkeye Graphics

It’s not perfect, but it gives me an app I can Command-Tab to, put in my Dock, etc. Free, works as well as Gmail in any browser.

At the end of the day, I don’t dislike Mail.app, and it’s my daily driver for my personal email. I’ve been using it since I was forced off Eudora. There are certainly UI quirks, limitations, and missing “extra” features. But I don’t “snooze” messages, or send later. So I don’t really miss the things that make Spark attractive to other folks. A couple of plugins (MsgFiler, SpamSieve, MailTrackerBlocker) fill in the most essential gaps.

I consider MailKit, announced at WWDC21, an exciting development. Maybe it’s not the perfect extensions mechanism today. But it clearly indicates that Apple is investing in Mail.app, much more than any other activity we can see from outside Apple.

4 Likes