Finally got a new desktop Mac - 2023 Mac Studio

2023 Mac Studio

• 32GB unified memory
  • 2TB SSD storage
  • Accessory Kit
  • Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Apple M2 Max with 12‑core CPU, 38‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
  • Apple full Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - Arabic keyboard

Monitor

Dell S2422HZ - Not a good purchase - but it will do for now, I hope to replace it in a few years.

Late 2009 21.5" iMac

• 16GB ram and 2 TB SSD - updated in December 2018
  • 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache*
  • MacOS High Sierra - the last supported OS on the machine

iMac will be removed once I feel satisfied that all files needed are transferred over.

9 Likes

That’s quite the jump!

It is! I’m pretty ok with it because I seem to keep it for quite a long time.

I listened to the show today, it was great. Thank you!

Wow. Nice machine. Congrats.

1 Like

That’s a nice step up for the computer, it must seem amazingly fast in comparison.

Obviously a monitor depends on what you use it for. We have the Dell Monitors at work with Windows and they’re great for word processing, Development, excel, web apps. I doubt anyone relishes using them for graphic design work though.

1 Like

Most of the YouTube videos I create our screencasts so the screen is important, but this Dell is what I can afford right now.

1 Like

Thanks, so much. I’m really enjoying it. Especially because I can use apps that are up-to-date. On my '09 iMac Google Chrome even stopped supporting security updates.

That’s the beauty of the Mac Mini vs the iMac, you can swap the screen later.

1 Like

I’d actually prefer that one to my 27” 4K - it’s the resolution I usually scale to anyway, but native.

Can you justify the Studio Display or the Pro Display XDR in the future?

No, it’s more light use. The scaled 4k isn’t bad, but I wouldn’t have done it if I knew more. Or I’d have gotten a 4k 24” and run it Retina.

I’m close to upgrading my beloved 2012 12 core cheesegrater Mac Pro with the new Mac Studio. I’ve decided on the base model with 4 TB of storage. My dilemma is whether I spring for the 64 GB of RAM. Any advice?

I currently have 64 GB in my Mac Pro so that’s influencing my decision, but it’s really expensive and I’m not sure I need it. I heard MacSparky went with 32 GB of RAM in his new Mac Studio. Does he regret it? Will I?

I figure if 32 GB is good enough for MacSparky, it should be good enough for me! I’m not doing anything that memory intensive, other than being lazy and leaving too many apps running at once :wink:

This us what I have on my Mac Studio: