First impression: Craft note-taking

“Soon” and so on are never timelines you should depend on.

That said, they’ve said they’re aiming to work on it in early 2021, and I believe they’ve started on it.

Edit: You don’t need to take my word for it after all: https://discord.com/channels/686053708261228577/771575014382108672/796118837841756230

2 Likes

It does look like they’ve started on it, but it’s still “very far”. I really like Obsidian, but if you work on an iPad a bunch you loose most of what there is to like about it.

2 Likes

I’ve asked on the supporter channel. Among the last two big roadmaps items remaining, WISYWYG edition and mobile apps, I’ve been told the latter will come first. That’s why I’m saying “soon” (it’s a Blizzard “soon”) but we know how fast they work.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m not using Obsidian on mobile, I’m just using Drafts for capture at the moment. Since I’m stuck at home I don’t have a need to explore this yet, so I’ll be using the mobile apps when they come out.

I’ve decided to give Craft a try instead of Curio for planning research, mainly because it works on iOS, and I’m really impressed so far. I recreated all of my Curio projects and everything was easily migrated (with a lot of copying and pasting). I like the interface so far, and have no issues with using it. Having all my data shared across my devices will be awesome.

@Rob_Polding thus far your experience with Craft is mine. I also like the fact that one can bulk export all Craft files in multiple formats. This is critical and far more robust than Obsidian.

Export Options
Markdown, TextBndle, PDF, and MS Word.

Result
Notice that Craft retains the folder structure when doing a bulk export.

While I like Obsidian, I found significant limitations yesterday, e.g., trying to share out or even copy a formatted markdown file. It was not possible to copy the formatted markdown file. As an example, I took an Obsidian note and wanted to share it to Mail, or at least copy and paste the formatted markdown file to a Mail message, but could not find a way to do so from Obsidian. I could copy and paste the markdown file with no problem but I don’t want to send professional emails in markdown. I could be missing something but if not, the inability to easily share out a formatted markdown file from Obsidian limits its usefulness as a note taking app.

While Crafts Share Sheet extension is missing within the app, the developer told me that that is a feature currently being worked on (I gave him specific input on this feature) as well as the ability to create tables. Moreover, Craft’s linking features are robust enough to serve as both a decent PKM system and work related note taking app.

At this point, it seems that Craft meets most of my needs with new features coming. I haven’t figured out if it is possible to index Craft files to DEVONthink, which would be ideal but not necessary.

I explored Curio but it was too fiddly for my purposes.

For those interested in a good overview, this YouTube video is a a good place to start:

Obsidian does not have robust export capabilities because it does not need to: it has Markdown files living on your disk. Just fire up your Markdown editor of choice and share or export things from there. It’s like DEVONthink in that regard. Its job is not to be a full document editing suite but a knowledge repository; there are many options for more advanced formatting and sharing and they work out of the box.

You could even have Ulysses index your vault (be careful to not have it erase the Obisidan formatting upon import though, as it will want to take over your notes with its own brand of Markdown)

4 Likes

Good point! I use iA Writer so that would be easy. I also use Ulysses but I’ll restrict that to medium and long form writing.

Thanks for the reminder!

2 Likes

My pleasure – I often have to remind this myself too whenever I bump into text limitations with Obsidian! But it’s very easy to actually jump into other editors whenever you need. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Craft’s website lists the entry-level cost at $39/month with an annual payment, or more with monthly payments.

I am really puzzled by the reception it has gotten at that price.

Can someone clarify?

I really want to try this out and migrate from Evernote. But without a website parser and be able to save an article from a website to the app, I still can’t move away from Evernote. So, I’ll keep a eye on Craft but definitely not for me especially with the price they are asking compared to the value I’m getting from Evernote and Bear (which also can parse web articles).

The App Store lists a yearly subscription at 45€/ year, the website says $3.75 per month? You might be confusing with another “craft” product (there’s a lot with that name). See https://craft.do

That is correct. And, I was able to secure the academic pricing which is even lower. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you - that explains my mistake. I was looking at craft.io - yes, that’s quiite a difference!

2 Likes

I love Craft and I want to use it a lot more, but how are you all feeling about having an app that you basically won’t be able to use anymore once the subscription expires?

It’s the never-ending subscription debate, but it really is what’s holding me from using Craft a lot more, even though I want to. I wish they’d change model, or release a version without collab features that is unlockable with a one-time purchase. (It’s also what turned me away from Bear)

Even though I dread electron apps, I started playing around with Obsidian because I’m worried about vendor-lockin with Craft. So far so good. Just wish it was native. Maybe someone could write an app ontop of the obsidian database since it’s all markdown anyway, that’d be sweet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also like Craft, a lot. I’m struggling, however, with the same concern. Because one can bulk export all of the files in four formats, including markdown, it is easy to transfer those documents to another application before cancelling the service. But, one loses the deep links, pages, cards, etc., requiring rebuilding the system.

I also like Obsidian but the lack of a mobile app makes the service less than ideal. I’m still experimenting with a combination of Obsidian+ DEVONthink (DT). This combination is probably best overall but the linking breaks between the two apps. DT has a robust linking system but, as of this post, lacks a good mobile app—which is coming but also reportedly requires a subscription.

My assessment thus far is:

Apple Notes: is good but syncing is not always reliable and there is no linking to specific text—only to a note or folder. Exporting one’s notes in bulk is terrible and will only export to PDFs.

Obsidian: great app but no native app and there is no mobile app. The work around, 1 Writer, works but is not ideal. Because everything is MD and on one’s computer, access, formatting and syncing notes is not a problem and Obsidian vaults can be indexed in DT but the links do not work between DT and Obsidian.

Craft: Excellent linking, formatting, and export options. But, one loses access if the subscription is cancelled.

DEVONthink: excellent overall. The main problem for me is the current lack of a quality mobile app and when it comes, the need to maintain a subscription—per recent rumors/reports. If the mobile app is good and the subscription reasonable, I may end up defaulting to DT for all notes. It has deep linking and too many excellent features to mention.

Agenda: I’ve experimented a little with Agenda but I don’t like the calendar-based note taking approach.

Who would have thought finding the “ideal” note taking / PKM system would be so hard in 2021! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The mobile app is “next” on their agenda for development. Hopefully we should see it in the next month or so (I’m making that time up). Having been on Obsidian early, they work really fast for features. I was looking at Craft lots, but with Obsidian saying mobile is next priority I’m content to wait.

1 Like

I really do like Craft… although some of your concerns are worrying me as I never want to get in too deep if its then hard to get out…

One thing that is really bugging me… how do you decide between making a new page in a note or making a new document… I cannot see why you would prefer one over the other… I.e. my quarterly plan… linking to my weekly reviews… are they pages within the quarterly plan document or do you link to a brand new document? Please help!!!

@mikecufc I’m not sure to whom you are directing your question but I use pages or cards to “hide” sub-information in project notes. For example, I may have a project involving a large committee. I’ll put the committee member names and contract information in a page for reference when needed but kept out of the way until needed. I also create “resource” pages for an index of links to relevant documents outside of Craft, e.g, Things tasks, Google, emails (you can drag emails from Apple Mail into Craft and it creates an active link).

I don’t know if that answers your questions but that is how I use it.

1 Like

Thank you very much. That does make more sense.

Must say I am very impressed with Craft so far.