Have you ever allowed an app to track you

Now this feature has had time to “bed in” it occurred to me, I wonder how may people allow apps to track them.

I have just had an app ask me to track me ( A word game !). I of course declined. It made me wonder does anyone let apps track them on iOS across the platform.

I think it is a pretty good feature

As long, as I don’t find any special advantage of that tracking for me, I don’t allow it!
And I can’t remember to found an advantage yet…

1 Like

I don’t recall ever seeing the pop up to opt out of tracking. Turns out I’ve turned on the setting to disable it across the board. Which would be my preference anyhow!

I think you have that wrong. If you “Dont allow apps to request tracking” they go ahead and track you !.

If you allow them you can at least say no.

I think the wording is confusing.

No, I think he has it right.

If the “Allow Apps to Request to Track” setting is disabled, there is no tracking going on apart from the tracking you already allowed before disabling this setting.

Each app that asks for permission to track while this setting is turned off will be treated as if you tapped Ask App Not to Track. You can also choose to ask all apps that you previously allowed to track to stop tracking your activity.

1 Like

It says underneath:

When this is off, all new app tracking requests are automatically denied.

So I assume nothing is tracking me, other than what I allowed previously,

1 Like

Showing my lack of fear of evil, I let Amazon track me for geofencing so Alexa can turn on the lights when I arrive home at night. It also tracks me at Whole Foods. I also let Google track me, in Waze, for obvious reasons. Apple also seems to be tracking me based on comments from Siri, knowing when and where I parked my car, and guessing where I might be traveling to.

1 Like

Location awareness is different to the tracking that’s being discussed I believe. For example, some of my banking apps have location awareness that I allow, but the setting mentioned above doesn’t affect that.

Which in itself is quite interesting. There are SO MANY ways we’re being tracked, we now need to add qualifiers to exclude certain tracking methods from the discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mostly let apps (games, basically) track me just to recieve slightly more relevant ads instead of those terrible games targeted at kids. I now happyly watch ads for mid-aged men that want to develop awesome abs.

2 Likes

I actually allow Google Maps to track my location, since I enjoy looking back at places I’ve been.
Obviously, I am aware of this, and if I were to commit adultery, a crime, or even something relatively dodgy - I could just turn it off.

However, I would like a privacy-friendly alternative to this.
Something which just saved my location to iCloud, but still allowed me a Google Maps interface where I could see reviews and stuff for the places I’ve been.

As far as I know, this doesn’t exist, so I trade in my privacy for a nice feature, while still acknowledging that most of you wouldn’t make the same choice.

I allow certain apps to use Location awareness, e.g. 1password so I know where I created an entry, Strava to track exercise activity…

Certain apps I only allow while open

But if there’s no benefit to me, I don’t allow at all.

1 Like

I allow a small subset of apps to track my location (Home app, OmniFocus, Reminders, Apple Maps) but would never consciously allow cross app activity tracking.

With Android tracking everything left right and centre, and Apple not being transparent about their tracking, I’m looking into other options like de-googled phone OS’ and Linux on smartphones, some show promise, others are not there yet, but there is hope…

Why do you think, Apple is not transparent on that issue?

I think you can read this

https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/Meldung/EN/Pressemitteilungen/2022/14_06_2022_Apple.html

(or google translate ;-))

I still can’t see, why you think that Apple would be intransparent on that issue?

I think they are, because they do not share what data they collect, and how it is used
As for the why: probably because it contradicts their marketing stance on privacy

They do share:
https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/terms/site.html

that one refers to the use of the Apple website and the respective services, not the iOS/MacOS apps or associated services.

Congratulation!
Instead of reading the other Links I have provided, you “found” the one that is referring to the website, and not the Apps itself!
I just included this link, so that you could visit the other two links without the fear not to know what information Apple would secretly collect from you, while you are reading their legal terms and privacy policy (which BTW you already should have read and agreed to, if you use any of Apples devices/apps/services!)!