Heptabase for thinking and knowledge management

So, OK, the app draws lines between figures on the page. Lots of apps draw lines between figures. But is there some intelligence represented by the line? Or, more importantly, by the arrangement of the pages on the path.

That’s kind of up to the user, how or if you label the lines, spatial arrangement, color coding.

There’s more to it that than this gif relates. You can see other things on their website. They’re a start, but I think a YouTube video is in order when the features stabilize a bit.

Alan Chan, the person behind Project Meta (the thinking app, not the new evil empire) posted this recently detailing his vision for his goals, and for the app. He’s obviously putting a lot of thought into the app (using his own app, 'natch).
It’s interesting to read his motivations and thoughts as the app develops.

3 Likes

Can’t remember if I’ve said this somewhere already, but I’m really excited about the possibilities Meta presents. In its current incarnation, it embraces canvas based thinking, placing an emphasis on spatial or visual ways of working, but still providing the kind of base knowledge management functions we’re coming to expect from this modern generation of tools (back-linking, reusable information elements etc).

While I’m still Roam-curious, this kind of visual first thinking appeals to me more than Roam-like network graphs do.

That said— I was onboarded a while back but haven’t used it much since. Hoping for a mobile client or at least a web version that works well on mobile devices before I lean in further…

1 Like

This looks really interesting and easy to use/configure. Meta seems to be more approachable than Tinderbox but shares some of the same concepts. I’ll definitely give Meta a spin when it goes into beta.

1 Like

Meta has been renamed to Heptabase to avoid confusion / unintended association with Facebook’s parent company which is now Meta.

Here’s a link to the new website.

And there is a new on-boarding video posted just today (2022-01-02).

I love that new name. Why hepta, though, other than that it’s verbally pleasing? I can’t seem to find an association with seven in the design or marketing copy or Medium post.

1 Like

This is what Alan said on the Discord:

I’m not familiar, but found this summary of the story:

1 Like

Ah, sure! I’ve read most Ted Chiang stories and that particular one is among my favorites. It’s definitely worth seeking out. I thought there was a site where it could legally be read freely but can’t find it now, but this collection has all good stories and is worth $10. Amazon.com: Stories of Your Life and Others eBook : Chiang, Ted: Kindle Store

1 Like

Thanks! Sent a sample to my iPad.
That’s my way of introducing a little friction before buying more books, because I am book poor.

2 Likes

Worth noting that Story of Your Life is the basis for 2016’s Arrival:

More on-topic, I recently realized that Heptabase reminds me a lot of Plectica:

I used Plectica a bunch when it was free, but switched (back) to doing these kinds of maps in OmniGraffle.

So in this specific arena, there’s Heptabase, Plectica, Clover, TinderBox…

1 Like

For those interested, Heptabase has sunsetted their onboarding requirement, and is opening 50 slots per week for subscribers.

Also, Plectica’s low contrast website is off-putting.
Hold on, I think someone’s on my lawn…

1 Like

this is only for people who are happy to pay $6.99 per month (billed annually) for the pro version. I know there is a 1-week refund process but still this is asking a lot of confidence on the product and for the company that has no track record

Yet another one, hat-tip to @DrKarav:

There must be some open source framework underlying all of these visual notetaking web apps that has led to the current prolification…?

Electron :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, yes, but these apps also seem to share some objects-on-a-canvas ancestor too.

Heptabase is now in open beta, still I maintain that asking people to subscribe for a year upfront is a bold move, albeit the 1 week refund arrangement

1 Like

I saw that and I don’t agree with the mentality of charging people for an unfinished product, going as far as not offering a 1 month trial to beta test their app.

The refund option is there, but it’s not what I would consider a good choice.

It seems like this software has matured a lot since @JohnAtl posted in 2021, yet not a lot of posts on it. Any users out there? Am currently looking at it and trying to figure what it offers over Obsidian canvas

They are different enough that for me it is worth using both. One of the neatest features in Hepta is tags as a database. You can select a tag from the sidebar and then make a table/Kanban based on this tag and add any of nine different properties, including checkboxes, as columns. Much easier then using Data view in Obsidian. Unfortunately not much communication between them. As far as Obsidian’s Canvas vs Hepta’s White board, Hepta is much more potent. Hepta is visual oriented while Obsidian is note centric. You have to try both to get a sense of what fits your use cases’s best. At this point Hepta is adding meaningful updates faster then Obsidian.

1 Like