Heretical Question: Move My Blog to Facebook?

Is it possible to move my domain name registration to another company?

Yes. You:

• “Unlock” the domain at the old registrar
  • Get an EPP (transfer) code from the old registrar
  • Go to a new registrar
  • Pay for a year of registration
  • Give the new registrar the EPP code
  • Jump through any other hoops they require

…and then you’re done. Your year of registration you paid will be added to the expiration date of your domain.

There are some caveats (like you can’t transfer right after you’ve registered a domain). It can take several days to a week for everything to go through, so it’s not a great idea to try to pull it off with 24 hours left on your registration. And if you use your current registrar’s nameservers and have DNS records set up there, those records will not move. You’ll have to set them up at the destination registrar. If you have your DNS pointed elsewhere (a hosting company, Cloudflare, etc.) you’ll be good.

But really, it’s not difficult. It’s just a matter of getting the info you need, then going through the steps. Nearly every registrar has help docs detailing how to do this process, both on the “transfer away” and the “transfer in” sides.

4 Likes

Thank you! Much appreciated

1 Like

Document with .pdfs or screen shots every step of the process.

It can come in handy.

1 Like

Echoing what others have said, those prices seem really high. Each year I pay $15 for my domain, and $60 for hosting. I run the self-hosted version of WordPress on it. That sufficed even back in the day when my site was active and got a good bit of traffic.

I will answer you heretical idea with an even more heretical one: create a Instagram profile and engage your audience with Stories and Reels.

Jokes aside, Wordpress.com is the safest bet, IMHO, and good old Blogspot is still there, it’s simple and AFAIK it’s basically free. Regarding the expected longevitiy of Blogspot: after a couple of decades Google must be keeping Blogspot because operating it is peanuts and it allows to build behavioural profiles of the visitors (and the creators) so it’s a great collateral for Google Marketing Platform.

Just make sure that whatever service you end up using, it exposes adequate RSS feeds, otherwise it is not a blog!

PS: Also as others have said, you should look into your DNS costs, 167$/yr is outrageously expensive --either you have more hosting services from Bluehost that you are not using (and if you don’t use them you don’t need them!), or you should transfer the domain registration to another service like Google Domains.

Debatable. Meta products (FB and IG) only show a small percentage of what friends and subscribed pages put out. It can also depend on what device is being used. For example, on my desktop Mac I see posts from people, on my MacBookPro I see different posts from those same people, and on my iOS/iPad devices I see posts from people whose work rarely shows up on the other devices.

I have long maintained that this selective display is because Meta cannot find anything in friends posts that can have spamverts hung therefore as these do not generate a click opportunity they won’t show the post(s).

1 Like

reviving my previous post and here.

Just wondering whether anyone using SilverStripe or Joomla for blogging. Is there anyone can share their experience and feedback for someone (like me) that is not super technical

I wouldn’t recommend starting a new project with Joomla. It’s not really in active development, and from both technical and design aspects it’s been superseded. You’ll be fighting it the whole time.

2 Likes

thanks, good to know

2 Likes

Joomla is overkill for blogging. It’s better viewed as a multiple writer site, or a publication system for a magazine.

It’s not simple to admin.

1 Like

I don’t know Joomla, but I once made a single-writer site with Drupal. It was a little clunky, but I could do absolutely everything I wanted to. After that it was all headaches – updating, security, maintaining, adding… just way too powerful for what I was trying to do with it, which it turns out can be as much of a problem as underpowered software.

1 Like

That’s the reason why it does not make much sense to do self hosting unless a) you are an expert on this technical stuff or b) have strong opinions on the ownership of you content. Creating content is hard enough and requires its own dedication, fighting the technology is best left to the platforms themselves.

Do you have backup? Will it work if you try to recover from a disaster? Did you check last month’s published CVE vulnerabities from the software? And its plugins? And the operating system? Are your logs filling the hard disk space? Will you remember to renew and install the SSL certificate? The list is never ending.

5 Likes

:+1:t3:

1 Like

Drupal is a little more frustrating than Joomla, but only a little. I’d need to be paid extra to ever use either again.

4 Likes

Ahh, Drupal. Back in my “former life” (i.e., pre-fatherhood), I had a ton of fun messing around with Drupal (and Joomla to a lesser extent). Very powerful.

I agree, although the self-hosted version of WordPress, while not for the non-technical, is pretty simple for a hobbyist nerd.

1 Like

It could always be worse. It could be Movable Type.

I knew a guy who had that and there were seemingly-never-ending problems with content, templates, etc.

Especially if you stick to WP core, a well-developed theme, and super-minimal plugins. With that setup, you can almost always just click “update all” and you’re good.

It’s when you have a plugin that handles some weird edge case - a plugin developed by one guy that nobody has heard from in 2 years - that you start having issues. :smiley:

3 Likes

I started my first blog on Radio Userland. Then Movable Type, then WordPress.

just come across WriteFreely. I believe it is self hosted with community support.

Just wondering any one here has any experience using it

Hover has and it used to have a concierge service to move domain registration to them. They did it all for me for free. recommended.

The free Wordpress service as a blog site works for me.

1 Like