How much do you pay for internet?

Limited choices in my neighborhood, Cox cable or Verizon DSL :face_vomiting:. No FTTH available.

We’re lucky to live somewhere with multiple ISPs, and our town voted to explore the potential of building municipal fiber a few years back. So we’re at $65/month for symmetrical 1 Gb fiber.

4 Likes

I don’t fully understand, does it mean $65 per house or per community?
Also, what does “symmetrical” means? 1Gb shared for all?

I’m in northern Indiana. I pay Xfinity $40/month for 100 down, and I assume 5 up (I’d have to check to be sure — I usually get 6 in practice). I supply my own modem or I’d be paying another $14.

I don’t bundle anything else, so that pricing is internet only.

There is a 1TB data cap, but I never come close to hitting it, even though all of my TV watching is via streaming services. I’m not a gamer.

In Portugal, I pay c. 87 euros for:

400 down/100 up (which is pretty accurate), unlimited traffic
200+ TV cable channels
4 phones with 6gb usage each/month (4G)
1 mobile tablet (i.e. iPad) with 10gb/month (4G)
1 landline phone free calls Europe, special daily period free calls outside Europe

We’re neighbors! I’m over on Bainbridge.

Our neighborhood was a bit newer when we moved in, and they put in fiber along with the standard cable company’s options. We pay $75 per month for gigabit (typically 800/1000) service through Centurylink. They had a lifetime rate offer (shouldn’t change), so we jumped on it. If we would have waited just one more month like our neighbors did, it would have been $65 per month for the same 1000/1000. We were paying around $85/month for a tenth of that with Spectrum (cable). It has been great.

Same upload and download speeds.

I can get 1 gig here too

3 Likes

$70/month with Cox, Gigabit, 1.5TB per month in Phoenix. BTW, I used to live in West Seattle near the Fauntleroy Ferry. Small world!

thanks, that’d be what I call 1:1 up until now.

1Gbps still sounds awesome to me, the fastest a home user can get is 150Mbps for ~USD40/mo here.

Internet is rather costly here and most access their internet through mobile as most areas aren’t accessible. Fiber internet can be found in most large cities. Most are still stuck in DSL.

We pay about PhP2,499 (about $50) a month for 50Mbps for unlimited internet that includes landline that can do free call on their mobile network.

I have fibre directly into the home truly unlimited data. I get 900MB/s down and 400MB/s up and pay 63USD a month. Installation was free :slight_smile:

$95/month for Spectrum’s 400/20 plan here. I bumped up from the $75/month 100/10 plan because there are 4 of us in the house on video calls for 5 hours a day, but once school’s out I’ll drop back down. No data caps, and we consistently use 1.2-1.4TB of bandwidth (the kids watch a lot of YouTube, plus we stream all our TV and TV+ services).

There’s fiber less than a mile from the house as the crow flies, but to get to it one has to pass through the woods and then a cemetery. I have no expectation that we’ll get fiber in the neighborhood as we have no poles to string the lines on (all services underground) and shallow trenching doesn’t seem to be a thing around here. I would gladly let a fiber provider rip up my yard to bring their service to the neighborhood in the name of competition.

Same! Gimme that fiber!

Do your research! Buy now with the intention of the price going down later… because it will (according to other people on the internet and even Starlink themselves).

Cox keeps sending me “Upgrade to Gigablast” emails and I delete them immediately. Don’t even talk to me about Gigablast until it has a 3TB Cap

Smaller world. I once lived in West Seattle in those apartments above the Safeway just a few blocks off Fauntleroy. I see @anon20961960 is in Bothell …lived there as well on the top of 228th and right next to Cascadia. Broadband wasn’t so hot back then especially Verizon’s DSL.

1 Like

You will want to know what the price is after the introductory offer runs out. Service has been good. Historically something needs to be reset on their end about once a year, but nothing since the Ziply bought the Frontier service here last year. Speed has been great, consistantly much over quoted for up speeds and slightly less than quoted for down speeds. (50/50 service)

1 Like

Gigablast! :boom: The poor sales folk that have to say that with a straight face.

4 Likes

$155/month FIOS 400 download I believe. This with cable tv 2 boxes. NY metro area. Doesn’t seem too bad, unless wife and I are both on a zoom at once etc. but then we don’t have kids, those massive data consumers.

Small town Kentucky right outside of Louisville. AT&T Fiber here. Get 900 down and 800 up. Pay $70 a month right now on a promotion but it’ll go up end of this year to $90.