How much do you spend on subscriptions annually?

Hello to fellow Mac Power Users

I recently updated my Notion database which I use to track my subscriptions.

I have 42 subscriptions. Subscriptions are for apps (Ulysess, 1Password etc), services (email, Next DNS etc), streaming services (netflix, tidal etc). A number of these services are shared with the family. The most expensive was Apple Premier Plan and the cheapest one is Sleep Cycle (grandfathered into the old plan $2 a year)

Anyway, the total came to USD1306 a year.

Honestly, It felt like a lot of money and even after going through the entire list, there isnā€™t one thing that I would cancel. Perhaps, Sleep Cycle because I do not use it anymore but it is only $2 a year

How much do you spend on your subscriptions?

2 Likes

I use Bobby (iOS app) to keep track of mine and Iā€™m at $715. Hmm, seems light, I thought I had more.

I used Bobby for some time but itā€™s iPhone only :slight_smile:

Probably depends on what you count as a ā€œsubscriptionā€, but I get $1800/yr. I didnā€™t include Blue Apron, my ISP and other utilities, but did include the cost of my web domains and websites and print magazines.

Using your categories (apps, services and media) I came up with $1,055. Hmmā€¦

1 Like

I got depressed from calculatingā€¦that I had to stop calculatingā€¦I just hit $2,687/yearā€¦and there are still things missing from the list such as Fantastical, Ulysses, Slack, Adobe, Backblaze, Synology C2 and Wasabi that I use for NAS backup services. I think I am going to be sick. :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face:

Software/Cloud

• iCloud
  • CollectorRZ
  • 1Password
  • Day One
  • Drafts
  • Office 365
  • Amazon Prime
  • IFTTT

Streaming

• CBN
  • Funimation
  • Netflix
  • Spotify
  • Hulu
  • Minno
  • Apple Music

Server

• Cloudways

Clearly this list is also outdatedā€¦

Why both Spotify and Apple Music?

~$40 CAD: iCloud and OneDrive.

I know this part is a bit extra. I am just always back and forth on the interface and structure. I have playlists in both and I canā€™t seem them to get a way to sync properly.

Spotify - great for discovering new music, algorithms, etc. My gripe is the way it connects to HomePod speakers, it messes up frequently.

Apple Music - When it comes to ā€˜decadesā€™ genre (70s, 80s, etc), Apple seems to bring up more classical things I grew up hearing and surprised it doesnā€™t come up in Spotify. However, some of its lists are not dynamic enough, doesnā€™t discover new music, etc. However, I do like the ability that plays better on HomePod mini

It seems we are in the same boat. however, I am subscribed to Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal and Youtube Music (part of Youtube Premium). My problem is that all these are family accounts and each member of my family is also somewhat undecided so they are using either Spotify or Apple Music. Family plans are extremely sticky.

2 Likes

That seems very low. If I may ask, are you including internet, cellular, and cable (or Sling, Google TV, etc)?

I was dreading this question to be asked @MereCivilian!
Like @FrMichaelFanous I stopped counting near the $3k mark.

The answer is too much, then again I am rigid in ending one when I donā€™t use it enough or find a better alternative (for which I am always on the lookout as I like trying out new stuff).

I do believe for most app developers and content providers, subscriptions are the way to go to achieve a regular income and cash flow.

My counter on that is the value assessment I do before renewal for which I have a separate project in Omnifocus, so I donā€™t get caught by surprise by an auto-renewal.

For all critical services, I have a backup service and data retrieval/mobility plays a key part in any commitment.

I take lifetime deals when I see them and have had a few great ones: Roon, Vox, pCloud, Hushed and Degoo

Software:

• Day One
  • Fantastical
  • 1Password
  • Airmail (like the integrations)
  • Drafts (like the integrations)
  • Setapp
  • Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Microsoft Office 365
  • Microsoft Windows 365 (best windows on M1)
  • Carrot Weather
  • iVPN
  • Omnifocus/Omnigroup
  • Overcast
  • Textexpander

Media:

• Amazon Prime (incl
  • Disney +
  • Apple ONE (incl. Music, News, iCloud and more)
  • Netflix
  • Qobuz (integration with Roon)
  • RelayFM / MPU
  • Pressreader (via local Library > great value for magazine reading)
    Club MacStories

Cloud:

• AWS
  • MacStadium
  • Dropbox
  • 3CX
  • Hover
  • Squarespace
  • Backblaze

Gave up:

• Evernote (moved to Devonthink)
  • WeatherNerd (preferred Carrot)
  • Spotify (overlap with Apple Music which has lossless)
  • Tidal (overlap with Apple Music lossless)
  • Various individual magazine subscriptions (following Apple News and Pressreader)
  • Bear (nice but overlap with other tools)
1 Like

No I am not including any of the above. I do not have cable tv. I have subscriptions to sports which is included in my above total.

I do not see internet and mobile as a subscription. It probably is but for my purposes its mainly software and media streaming services.

I also did not include custom domain renewals because I pay for 10 years so itā€™s not worth adding to the table.

Thanks for the info. My total included those and was a multiple of yours. :grinning:

Last year was $1488.60

Includes:

• Hosting for a couple of sites
  • Readwise
  • Obsidian sync
  • YNAB
  • Patreon
  • Netflix
  • SetApp
  • Backblaze
  • etc

Not included:

• Internet
  • Phone
  • Anything iOS related, 30 a month is Apple (not tracked in YNAB as I buy iTunes money or receive gift cards)

Yikes, that adds up! ā€” $1972.41 for me.

Includes:

Streaming TV (monthly):

• Disney Plus
  • Sling Blue
  • Britbox
  • Paramount Plus/Showtime bundle

Services, news, and software:

• Google Workspace
  • Readwise
  • Blot.im
  • Eero Secure Plus
  • Apple One Premier
  • Brooklyn Public Library
  • Fantastical
  • Tweetbot
  • Bookends
  • Reclaim Hosting + domain registration
  • Washington Post
  • A second domain registration
  • Pocket
  • YNAB
  • Day One
  • Google One
  • Backblaze
  • Ulysses
  • Plan to Eat
  • Curiosity Stream + Nebula
  • Drive Weather

Not included:

Phone and internet. I think of those as utilities. I also didnā€™t include memberships like Amazon Prime, AAA, Costco, etc.

1 Like

Disney+ - Family
Hulu + - Wife
Netflix - Wife
YNAB - Wife
Productive - Wife
Quicken - Me
Drafts- Me
Apple One - Family
Darkroom - Me
Movie Explorer - Me
Infuse - Me
Scores App - Me
Copyā€™em - Me
Parcel - Me
Deliveries - Me
Tweetbot - Me
1password - Family
Office 365- Family

On the Chopping block:

Airmail - Unless they have another major update Iā€™m likely done.
Evernote - tried to like it but just donā€™t trust it
1Blocker - moving to different security platform
History Vault - Wife
Tidal - Me
Fantastical/Cardhop - Me

Likely future Subs:

Readwise
Untangle NG Firewall
Craft
The Helm - Personal Secure Mailserver
Day One
Micro.blog or Ghost
Roon

1 Like

this looks intriguingā€¦will be keen to see how well it works.

Curious, why you are subscribed to both parcel and deliveries? I previously used Deliveries but despite switching to a subscription model, their updates have been slow. Parcel on the other hand has been rocking it and the amazon integration is awesome.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen the same with Parcel vs Deliveries. Deliveries is a beautiful app but I keep going back to what someone said on these boards which was along the line of ā€œwhat apps increased their updates significantly after going subscription?ā€

Deliveries is a prime example of the pricing model changing but not the frequency and quality of the updates IMO. Iā€™ll probably cancel my Deliveries subā€¦itā€™s truly redundant. Parcels to me is superior in notification speed and features.

I hope to order my Helm in a month or so and hope I donā€™t have to wait the full 8 weeks for delivery. Iā€™m trying to decloudify. Getting a Synology or QNAP this year to start consolidating files to RAID-5 storage.

Iā€™m glad you hipped me to Next DNS. Iā€m also going to investigate tools like Cloudflare etc to tighten up my security.

1 Like

Mine is about $1903.40. Would have been more expensive if I live in the US since most of this has regional pricing and my sister shares her HBO Max, Hulu and Disney+ account. Iā€™m SHOOKT just seeing how much I spent on productivity and entertainment. Biggest expense is 3 Squarespace website.

I think Iā€™m going to steer away from calculating how much I spent on Switch games and physical books from 2021.

1 Like