How would you like to improve the AirPods?

Interesting Twitter thread. Rowan Trollope is the CEO of @FIVE9, former head of collaboration business unit at Cisco.

I want to see improved Siri, and improved hardware so Airpods are something you can wear all day. A tiny digital assistant whispering in your ear.

Support for ā€œHey Siriā€. More gestures to trigger actions (ideally Iā€™d like to be able set mine up so I can skip forward thirty seconds, skip back thirty seconds, go to the next and previous chapter/song, so four action options).

5 Likes

Better sealing lid ā€“ mine are in my pocket a lot and collect schmutz that needs cleaning out from inside of the case.

5 Likes

My ears are just not made for earbuds, so I donā€™t use any including AirPods. I would love it if Apple would sell over-ear headphones but as there arenā€™t any recent rumors I donā€™t hope for much. Also I love my Sony WH-1000MX3.

Apple owns Beats. Beats sells over-the-ear headphones such as the Beats Studio3.

1 Like

Increase their lifespan by having less battery degradation over time.

5 Likes

True. But I donā€™t like the Beats design. :grinning:

1 Like

Honestly if they just added native Siri integration I would be happy. Some better noise isolation would be welcome as well. Overall though, I am very satisfied with them. I think any improvements apart from Siri integration I probably wonā€™t upgrade.

But then again I said that about my 10.5 iPad Pro and now I have the new 12.9 :grimacing:

1 Like

I donā€™t like their sound. The Studio 3 is not as bad as previous ones, but you donā€™t buy Beats for sound quality.

Wish list:

1. Hey Siri
  2. Induction charging case
  3. for AirPower not to be vaporware :joy:

I really wish (having used them since Christmas 2018) that they would stay in my ears, earbuddyz help but they are too uncomfortable and donā€™t allow to be put in the charging case without being removed. Otherwise I love them.

Triple taps for an extra two actions. Siri that works (thatā€™s not strictly an Airpod thing though)

For me. More colours and better battery. Thatā€™s it.

1 Like

I love the AirPods and use them constantly throughout the day.

My wish is volume control; physical gesture, like moving your finger up or down on the AirPod. Or could program the taps.

Not sure I understand what more Siri could do with the AirPods specifically. It is like I am using Siri on the iPhone. She responds pretty good, and with the AirPods I use Siri more.

1 Like

When you do ā€œHey Siriā€ itā€™s actually going to your phone not through the AirPods. If they had Siri integration you could say ā€œHey Siriā€ without the phone nearby or in your pocket.

If I could only make ONE change it would be a simple one: Better fit in my ears.

Until now Iā€™ve screwed them in to make sure they stay in, and the stems stick out of my ears and look even funnier than they usually do.

Past couple of days Iā€™ve experimented with just hanging them out of my ears. They look normal and are more comfortable but Iā€™m worried theyā€™ll fall out.

Do they actually fall out for you, though? I had to learn that they would feel loose but not actually fall out. I wouldnā€™t mind slightly grippier outer material, of course.

They have not yet fallen out. Couple of times Iā€™ve adjusted them when they felt TOO loose.

Theyā€™re quite comfortable this way. I could literally wear them all day. And I hear ambient sound around them too (which most people consider a negative but I consider a plus). Iā€™m hoping this experiment works.

Iā€™m not too concerned about losing one. I figure if it falls, Iā€™ll just pick it up. Canā€™t go far. However, I am usually wearing the AirPods while walking the dog and Iā€™m concerned the dog will see the AirPod hit the ground and think ā€œYUM! TREAT!ā€ Iā€™ve already lost one AirPod to a similar incident.

1 Like

Ha, nice. My fear is one bouncing down a sewer grate. Itā€™s unlikely, but Iā€™ve walked in a circle around them before to prevent that.

2 Likes

After more thought, I think the improvement Iā€™d most like to see is better Find my Phone capability. Maybe Iā€™m doing it wrong, but if I misplace the case, I want to locate the case with sound using the AirPods inside. It doesnā€™t work that way and the AirPods will only be located when theyā€™re pulled out the case, which isnā€™t going to happen if they fall into a laundry basket. I realize that the case preserves battery by not communicating with paired devices, but Iā€™d like it to at least try to phone home every five minutes or so.

1 Like