I created Meet Cam - macOS app that aims to improve online meetings. Beta users wanted!

Hi! I’ve recently released my new Mac app - Meet Cam, it overlays useful widgets on the camera feed during a video meeting. The app works like a virtual camera with Zoom or Goole Meet and many others. This way we can better control meeting time, express emotions without derailing the conversation, or add some winter mood just for fun all with a single app.

Here’s a highlight of some of Meet Cam’s widgets to boost meetings productivity:

• Meeting Timer - shows how much time left in the meeting
  • Countdown - a countdown timer to timebox parts of a call
  • Headline - one line of text at the bottom of your video

and a few more just to bring a smile:

• Snow - in case you are missing the real one,
  • Reindeers - well, yeap animated reindeers right in your camera :slight_smile:

Next in line are emoji and gifs.

It’s gotten some really positive feedback from early adopters - as one of the early users said “it’s like a lifejacket in a flood of Zoom meetings” So I thought to share this here too. Let me know if you guys have any ideas/suggestions. I’ll be happy to answer them.

3 Likes

Looks lovely and frankly more useful than mmhmm which I’ve been using since beta (they give a free year for edu users and 90 days for having been in the beta).

Any idea on the pricing model?

That would be very useful, actually. I’ve been looking for an easy way to do that, and haven’t found one.

Is that something that you can change during the meeting pretty easily? I’m thinking it would be useful for telling people what part of a meeting’s agenda we’re in, or for church, for listing the scripture reading reference on-screen while I’m reading it, in case people want to look it up themselves.

Where I live, we won’t have to worry not seeing snow until probably March or April :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried it & liked it, but the snow algorithm needs work - it’s too dense in general, and not random - you can see the visual pattern repeating.

But that’s not a feature I’d be likely to use - some others look great.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to work with Teams, for me at least.

Very interesting add-on for meetings @dannyow – I’ll join the beta and keep have an eye out for the “coming soon” features. Looks like the best is yet to come.

1 Like

@tjluoma re: headline widget - you can change its contents (as well as any other widget) on the fly, that one of the basic mechanics in Meet Cam. The other is to allow you to do it fast and re-use previous entered content (the headline or timebox etc) - that’s why all that is accessible from the menu bar.

Snow - I’m jealous :slight_smile:

@dfay thanks for your kind words! I totally agree - the snow widget can be improved significantly :slight_smile:

Regarding the pricing model - it’s still in the making, but my ballpark estimates are around half of mmhmm price with fairly generous for edu users as well - in fact, that was the motivation behind the app in the first place. I’m leaning toward Sketch app licensing model. But as I said everything is open for discussion - I’m all ears to hear your opinion on that…

Oh, yeap in short - it will work with teams run in the browser, but app itself blocks virtual cameras.
More details in Meet Cam online help: https://www.notion.so/Microsoft-Teams-81667976c8ad4249b0cc9d7f1ac36f77

I would use it, but it unfortunately doesn’t support Microsoft Teams or FaceTime.

Does it support Skype?

Meet Cam works with the following platforms:

• Zoom
  • Google Meet
  • Facebook Messenger
  • GoToMeeting
  • Jitsi
  • WebinarNinja

and few more, some other apps works when run as a browser app - basically it means that Google Chrome allows virtual camera to be used as a webcam.
This way you can use:

• Teams
  • Webex
  • Discord
  • Slack

And by extension every other browser only platform like whereby.com (ex appear.in).
Skype unfortunately it wont work :frowning:

I ran mmhmm into MeetCam and MeetCam into Zoom without any issues in my experimentation - no lag or fans on M1 MBP.

1 Like

Cool! Going to give it a download. Thanks! Good luck with the launch!

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks :slight_smile: 20 chars.

What a great idea! I really like this app. It is easy to apply the different widgets. I found it easy to customize the timer and headline. Do you intend to make it do virtual backgrounds? I always need a virtual background. The effects from Meet Cam did not always work well when I had a virtual background in Zoom turned on.

Also, I have an external webcam with a wider field of view. In Zoom, I was stretched out using the Meet Cam camera even though I clicked on Original ratio.

I had a lot of fun playing with this app, but it needs to do virtual backgrounds before I can actually use it in a meeting.

1 Like

Oh, yes. Same. I definitely can’t use this without being also able to use my green screen in Zoom

Sadly, most of my calls are on my work laptop, which runs on Windows. And I often thought: we need a timer to keep people from talking forever. A countdown that turns red when 2 min are left and starts blinking when 1min is left!

Thanks for kind words! Virtual background in on my short list - however to my surprise I was not the most wanted feature so far (but I still consider it to be quite important).

Re Zoom and your camera - that’s sounds interesting - can you share more details about the camera (preferably on feedback@meet.cam). BTW: the next update contains fixes to a similar problem with Chrome - I wonder if this will fix your issue as well.

Maybe this is a chance to sneak some mac machine into your work environment? :slight_smile:

FYI you can run mmhmm with a green screen then use mmhmm as your camera for Meet Cam & it will have your mmhmm background behind any MC graphics. Then Zoom can use Meet Cam as video source.

1 Like