I don’t get it (the iPad Pro)

ios

The FAA’s Portable Electronic Devices rules have been in effect since 2013 and permit use of tablets and smartphones that can operate in “airplane mode”, through all phases of flight. While in U.S. airspace, foreign carriers can also permit use of tablets in all phases of flight (in “airplane mode”) if their home country’s aviation authority permits.

Laptops are heavier and that is why they must be stowed during takeoff and landing phases for safety reasons

I use both. There’s stuff that just can’t be done properly on an iPad. For me, it’s:

• photo management and editing
  • number crunching and statistics
  • writing
    The advantages of the iPad:
  • pencil
  • battery life
  • portability&form factor
    If I had less requirements (photos, number stuff, writing), I could manage with just an iPad.

I’m gonna go iPad Pro only at some point. Why do you say writing? I don’t do the other things. But out of curiosity why not Photo management? Can you elaborate?

Writing=scientific papers with citations, graphs, etc. Including stuff from R with knitr and so on.
Photos=no color management. That’s a deal breaker for me. And also add: no Adobe RGB, no large format printing, keywording is a hassle, wonky XQD card solutions, no scanning, no Photoshop, no LR plugins, and so on and on.

Unlike @Lars I do a lot of photo management on my iPad Pro. Depending on how you work, the feature set may or may not be sufficient for you. I find Lightroom on the iPad Pro to be very useful. For doing selects and ratings, I think it is great. Also 90-95% of my editing I can get done right on the iPad itself. A few images may need Photoshop, and then I’ll just fire up the iMac (and I must admit I am getting slower at Photoshop, due to lack of routine…)

For an even faster workflow (and with images needing less precision) I still use SnapSeed. I have used it since before Google bought it from Nik Software, and I simply love the ease of use in selecting adjustments and swiping in the correct amount.