iCloud Email Custom Domains is now out (in beta)

I only use the FM app maybe once a fortnight to search, as it’s much faster than iOS Mail, esp. searching all mailboxes. Server-side filters and rules are great.

1 Like

If only FastMail provides unlimited catch all addresses. They limit to 600. I run out of them as I use unique ones to each.

Is anyone else having issues setting this up?

I have to admit, it’s along time since I amended any domain pointers/records so I may have messed something up.

I haven’t used this for about 3 years but it was helpful when I was managing email for my previous company.

1 Like

I don’t know what it was, but i reset my DNS and tried again and it now works. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I setup my custom domain and email TO the domain work, but when I reply or send emails they still appear to come from my @iCloud.com domain instead of the custom domain. Any ideas?

Depends on the settings of the app you’re using to send email. I imagine you need to set up the account as a proper email account in the app, and then make sure you are choosing the new address from your “send from” options.

mine appeared the next day as part of the drop down in the from address.

I’m just using iCloud. There is no drop down option.

There is a drop down if you click your from name, however, my new domain isn’t there.
Which is odd.

This was discussed on the latest episode of Connected—it took a day for it to show for Federico Viticci. :man_shrugging:

This idea has caught my eye. Does anyone know if the custom domain on iCloud+ will work with Spark or other 3rd party mail clients? Will I be able to prompt for a app specific email address?

Any research anyone has done will be appreciated.

the emails appear in your icloud email account. so if you can use that in Spark you’ll be fine.

like a unified inbox inside my iCloud email address?

Yes they all go to one inbox as it’s still one account. Your e-mail addresses just act as aliases.

3 Likes

I’d be very careful doing so for 2 reasons: first, this is very new and Apple doesn’t have a stellar record on right-first-time for anything cloud. Second and more importantly, this is a very strong long term commmitment to Apple. Switching away in a few years will likely be difficult [update: I was probably wrong - see comment below].
I also have a domain on (grandfathered free) Google Workspace and I’m considering moving it to Microsoft. The price per user is very reasonable, Microsoft has historically be keen to support all platforms, and the functionality is likely going to be richer.

I disagree with how difficult it is to change. you can redirect your domain to another provider at any time with no interaction with Apple.

True - caution Is advisable

Surely this concern applies equally to any provider of proprietary add-on services. Why would one expect Microsoft or Google to be less of a long term risk than Apple, or anyone else, for that matter. This is the nature of cloud-based services - you pick your provider and you accept the risks, generic or specific.

I’m not having a pop at either Google or Microsoft - just at the implication (which you may not have intended) that there’s a low-to-no-risk option here - other than hosting your own email on your own server.

There are massive risks to running your own server, especially from a security perspective. far bigger risks than trusting Apple, Google or Microsoft with your email

In the context of this discussion (risk in the long term of going all-in with any cloud provider), your own server protects you from loss of service resulting for some future decision by (e.g. Apple). It presents other risks, but whether they’re “far greater” depends on many factors