iCloud Email Custom Domains is now out (in beta)

As always any person has to assess their own risks.

1 Like

Fair enough - the criterias are personal priorities. I’d say that it’s not quite symmetrical though: MS and G tend to be OS-agnostic re. their client apps, while Apple is not likely to support specific functionality on email clients running on other OSes (at least you cannot count on it).

Hmm. You are actually right. And that makes me completely reconsider my position (which is embarassing as I just switched my professional/freelancing domain from ProtonMail to Microsoft and I should have realised that).
The only atention points would be bulk-exporting your emails and calendar entries (but I’d assume you could export/re-import archive files in Outlook or similar) and loosing functionality such as multiple calendars or aliases.

1 Like

You can move emails easily in Apple Mail.

Calendar appointments are a bit different, but you can show multiple calendars and just set up new appointments in your new calendar. after a while you’ll transition.

1 Like

That’s a fair point.

Having a problem setting this. Set it up with one domain, no problem. Tried my other domain, and for some reason, I can’t get the verification email! I’ve had the one with all the settings laid out in it, but not the verification one. Anybody else come across this?

Many thanks,

Robert

Do you actually have the domain already setup with a different provider and receiving emails on the same admin address you set in iCloud?

1 Like

Yes, the domain is set up with a different provider, but the admin address I have in iCloud is different - it’s a .icloud one.

there could have been a time when the email address was used as one to reach me on iMessage, potentially, but that would be it - and I’m not totally sure

Before you can switch across to iCloud Email Domains, you need to have your email setup with a different provider to allow you to receive an email and then confirm you own the domain before it can be transferred across to Apple.

They have changed this. You can skip this process. I have done this myself. Got myself a brand new domain (never set up anyhere) and then set up on iCloud mail. I did this a few weeks ago.

When they ask you to add an email address for verification just click next or skip… I cannot remember the exact wording

Thank you for your replies.

I left it a couple of days, tried to resend the verification email, lo-and-behold it worked!

Now all set up and running.

Many thanks for your time!

2 Likes