Just to toss some variety in my work setup, and for reasons of being able to observe a 15-year-old beagle that has forgotten how to come ask to go outside, I’d like to do some of my work in my living room.
Let me go over the setup. As far as the actual computer stuff that lives on my desk, I have:
- M1 MBA 13"
- Ergodox EZ (because somebody will ask, Kailh box pink silents )
- Magic Trackpad 2 (external, not the one on the laptop)
- Logitech 920 webcam
- 43" 4K TV that I use as a monitor
There’s a Mac Mini with a DAS array in here too, but the MBA uses wireless to hit that - so it’s not an issue as far as portability.
The MBA lives in a vertical stand (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BCR1645/) I got on Amazon. Everything connects to the MBA via a small hub/dock/gizmo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V4MMG8D/), except the Streamdeck with is direct-wired for bizarre reasons (Streamdeck disconnecting after M1 MBA isn't used for awhile).
So to pick it up and move, I’d have to relocate at a minimum the first three items on the list. The Streamdeck would be a nice touch, but is absolutely not required.
For practical purposes, that means “going to the living room” involves:
- Unplugging two cables from the MBA (hub + Streamdeck)
- Unplugging the Ergodox from the hub
- Unplugging the trackpad from the hub (I use it wired due to Bluetooth interference in the office)
- Moving the setup to the living room
- Plugging the MBA into the TV in the living room
- Plugging everything else into a hub of some sort
and that all assumes I have a place to put all of this when I get there. Which I currently don’t.
In the living room, I have a TV with AppleTV - so I could absolutely just cast my Mac screen to it. But I’d prefer something more direct.
What I was thinking is:
- Get something like a Levenger lap desk (Levenger Lap Desk - Levenger) as it’s wide enough to accommodate the setup (the setup is 26" wide), and only 1/4" or so thick
- Get a small, inexpensive multi-port non-powered USB hub
- Grab some adhesive velcro tape
- Velcro the hub, trackpad, and possibly keyboard to the lap desk
- Get short cables to wire the keyboard and trackpad into the hub
- Get a duplicate of my existing little “hub” to permanently plug into an HDMI port on the living room TV
A 1/4" thick Levenger lap desk wouldn’t add much height to my existing setup - so the setup could just sit on my existing desk.
And when I wanted to go to the living room, there’d be one cable to disconnect the lap desk setup, and two to disconnect the MBA. Super-easy to move, and I could just work on the couch or the recliner or whatever.
I realize this is a fair bit of goofing around, but a large portion of my work is typing / writing - and I really don’t want to do that on the built-in MBA keyboard.
Thoughts? Improvements? Comments about how much I’m over-thinking things?