iOS 14 Widget Screens!

I have 3 such Launcher widgets in a stack. It’s quicker than swiping through pages. But I have to confess I haven’t added shortcuts into Launcher.

1 Like

About 50% of the apps of which Launcher hadn’t indexed their url-scheme to open required the detour via Shortcuts, which was a no go.

I hadn’t even thought about putting Shortcuts that do anything else then open an app in there. It’s a great idea, because I think that Apple’s Shortcut widget is highly wasteful in regards to screen real estate (just 8 per 4x4 widget :-1:) and you can only display a certain group/folder per widget.

All in all … really looking forward to 14.3!

1 Like

Does anyone have Home Screen with the Gmail widget yet? If so, I would be interested in seeing it.

1 Like

Good lord! A Google app supporting a new iOS feature in less than six months? I had to glance out my window to check for flying pigs.

6 Likes

speaking a little LOUDER this time…I’m done with iOS widgets except for 3 I can’t get on the legacy screen. So no one here has experience the dreaded widgets ungrouping all your apps? As mentioned on reddit here & here.

I can’t take it anymore my homescreen is a mess my muscle memory is shot and I thought I was going to be able to re-organize my home screen via iTunes but that’s gone. I’m going fix my groups one more time and wait for someone to confirm widgets are more stable

2 Likes

It’s not a huge issue for me. I have one home screen and it has 1 medium widget at the top, 1 small widget below it to the left, 4 apps in a grid to the right of that and four apps in a row below. No folders or anything like that, everything else is in the App Library. Every once in a while I test out a new widget to replace one of the others on my Home Screen and it can monkey with the app organization there, but there are so few it can just take a couple of seconds to put it all back.

1 Like

How else are they going to upsell Android? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This inspire me to create a new home screen where most of the apps is on the left side and widgets on the right.

Mine is a medium widget on top with 5 rotating display.

Would be handy for a lefty like me. :slight_smile:

I have spent no time with widgets but have been reading about Widgetsmith and this thread has me very intrigued to get the app and make some different screens.

For my iPhone, I only have one screen of apps and everything else is dumped into one big folder. But I can see being able to change that with widgets. And I’m very interested in how I an make various iPad screens.

This is the way my phone is set up too, but instead of using a folder to hold the leftover apps I now use the App Library - one less thing for me to maintain.

1 Like

Current Home Screen with Carrot and Widgy, which are at the top of two sets of smart stacks, one for well-being widgets and the other with productivity widgets, along with Moloko icons.

1 Like

This happened to my wife as I was trying to sell her the idea of widgets.

She still doesn’t use them and is mad at me for messing up her app order!

This may sound silly but can anyone recommend a good tutorial on widgets and even a step further, a good tutorial on Widgetsmith?

This was the best widget tutorial that I could find.

2 Likes

Regarding Widgetsmith:

1 Like

Thank you. This is a perfect starter video which was helpful.

After doing a little bit of research on widgets, I think I have been under a wrong impression as to how they work on iPhone vs iPad.

On an iPhone, is it true that you can have multiple home screens with different widgets on each home screen? And then you just swipe to get to a homescreen you want.

This seems to be diff than how it works on an iPad. It seems on the iPad, your widgets are tied to the Today View area which then also prohibits making different homescreens. Is that correct? I was loving the idea to put widgets all over the iPad screen and also having multiple homescreens.

Same happened to me! Unforgivable!

@MacSparky I am eagerly awaiting to see your homescreen David!