iOS 14 Widget Screens!

5 Likes

Experimentation in progress

6 Likes

Can you link to that progress app? That’s really fascinating

Nothing fancy, but simple:

4 Likes

Widgets are one of my favourite additions to iOS 14.

Among other things, I have a page dedicated to surfacing photographic memories and learning new things.

p.s. This photo is of curious colobus monkey I encountered during a 2011 trip to Zanzibar.

4 Likes

Hi @chadwahlbrink, here you go!

But I just found another app that not only includes life/day counter but also has many more widgets. Besides, the price is lower. You may want to have a look

2 Likes

Michael - why Launcher, instead of just having the apps themselves? I’m intrigued.

Each are stacked widgets, so I’m using them almost like a folder. I can see the more apps, easily flick one handed without much effort. Been working really well so far.

2 Likes

Now downloaded DuckDuckGo… I love this forum… as much as it often costs me money there are just so many apps that I never knew existed!

2 Likes

Looks like @caitlin recreated all of her apps using Shortcuts so they’re a consistent colour. The rest should be straightforward to work out (the hard bit is having an eye for what looks good!).

Does it get annoying when every time you open an app it goes via the Shortcuts app @caitlin?

Really liking this idea especially using it to quickly call my wife or children. The only “downside” to use it for launching apps via widget is that it first has to open Launcher before opening the app. Almost like how Shortcut is doing it. On a modern phone, I think that slight miliseconds is acceptable but on an older phone, I think it can be annoying.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right about the delay (especially on an older phone). It’s not bothering me on my 11 Pro Max at this point. The good thing is it’s all cosmetic and I can go back and use multiple pages and folders in a blink. Fun to play with for sure.

1 Like

So now we have two categories of Widgets right? We have the old and the new, right?

At the bottom of the today view there is this special option which allows for one to choose from widgets pre iOS 14.

Apple should just delete that option in my opinion. If the developer doesn’t update its widgets to iOS 14 then I wouldn’t want them around to be honest

2 Likes

Agree, but maybe give them three-six months before phasing them out.

1 Like

From my vantage point, now that Post-It Notes has updated their widget to something more functional and colorful on iPadOS, I would really like Apple to update the OS so that I can finally move a larger widget out in the main apps and folders area… :frowning:

1 Like

I would also love the option of turning off the date/time in the widgets area… wasted default space.

2 Likes

Old style widgets are more interactive than iOS 14 widgets on the iPhone. For the time being, iOS 14 widgets are merely displaying information (apart from Apple’s shortcuts, as far as I know).

For example, in Fantastical, the old style widget allows me to select a day and display its appointments. In Omnifocus’ widget, I can check a task as done directly, without opening the app. This can’t be done in iOS 14 for the time being.

Strange as it may seem, some old style widgets are more powerful than the modern ones. In my opinion, until Apple adds this functionality to iOS 14, home widgets should stay put.

5 Likes

Hold your horses! There’s at least one widget in my legacy widgets area (what are we calling that zone?) that I suspect might not see an update any time soon, but I’m really going to miss if it’s forced out… there’s nothing wrong with the widget as it is, and I’ll be happy to keep it around for as long as I can!

2 Likes

Couldn’t help myself but I’m probably going back to something simpler.

8 Likes

You really should be able to replace an app icon if you want to without creating these convoluted Shortcuts launchers. Maybe iOS 20.

5 Likes