iOS 14 Widget Screens!

You can set the folder or it will pick memories

Nate— can I ask, are you using Reminders as prompts for reflective thinking? I love this idea… (might be another thread entirely… )

1 Like

Got Life, Year, Month and Week progress reminder. Always reminds me “Carpe diem!” and “Don’t procrastinate!” :grinning:

8 Likes

I am using the Day One widget for journal prompts. The widget updates every 24 hours. The app can also be scheduled to remind you at a certain time of day to journal. What I just discovered (in addition to the value to being prompted to write) is that you can pay to have your journal made into a book through their services, should you so desire. That can certainly work if you use a method that used to do, which was to pick a picture from my day and write about it. A great way to document and honor memories.

2 Likes

Nice! Also saw a good reflective question in your Reminders list widget (on the widget search screen). Love the idea of capturing a question like that to come back to a later point…

1 Like

Aha. Progress.app: acquired. I’m less likely to keep a life reminder, but year/month/week? I’m all in.

Prior to widgets I was very good about not paying so much attention to my phone. Looks like that’ll be broken for a bit… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ah! Yes. I am a therapist. Sometimes I have to write the good ones down to save for later. You hear a good question and think: “Oh that’s a powerful question. I should hang on to that.” Communication in a therapy session involves adopting a position of curiosity (ie: What small thing could we change about this? Or: Did you think that I just took someone’s side right now?)…

1 Like

I’m still figuring out my perfect setup, but I’m really loving the new fantastical, drafts and widget smith widgets!! Favorite thing is using Widgetsmith to make “spacers”. Finally you can have icons closer to your thumbs on iPhone 11! Also, setting to black on the iPhone 11 turns off the pixels which feels so nice.

1 Like

5 Likes

Experimentation in progress

6 Likes

Can you link to that progress app? That’s really fascinating

Nothing fancy, but simple:

4 Likes

Widgets are one of my favourite additions to iOS 14.

Among other things, I have a page dedicated to surfacing photographic memories and learning new things.

p.s. This photo is of curious colobus monkey I encountered during a 2011 trip to Zanzibar.

4 Likes

Hi @chadwahlbrink, here you go!

But I just found another app that not only includes life/day counter but also has many more widgets. Besides, the price is lower. You may want to have a look

2 Likes

Michael - why Launcher, instead of just having the apps themselves? I’m intrigued.

Each are stacked widgets, so I’m using them almost like a folder. I can see the more apps, easily flick one handed without much effort. Been working really well so far.

2 Likes

Now downloaded DuckDuckGo… I love this forum… as much as it often costs me money there are just so many apps that I never knew existed!

2 Likes

Looks like @caitlin recreated all of her apps using Shortcuts so they’re a consistent colour. The rest should be straightforward to work out (the hard bit is having an eye for what looks good!).

Does it get annoying when every time you open an app it goes via the Shortcuts app @caitlin?

Really liking this idea especially using it to quickly call my wife or children. The only “downside” to use it for launching apps via widget is that it first has to open Launcher before opening the app. Almost like how Shortcut is doing it. On a modern phone, I think that slight miliseconds is acceptable but on an older phone, I think it can be annoying.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right about the delay (especially on an older phone). It’s not bothering me on my 11 Pro Max at this point. The good thing is it’s all cosmetic and I can go back and use multiple pages and folders in a blink. Fun to play with for sure.

1 Like