iOS 14 Widget Screens!

So now we have two categories of Widgets right? We have the old and the new, right?

At the bottom of the today view there is this special option which allows for one to choose from widgets pre iOS 14.

Apple should just delete that option in my opinion. If the developer doesn’t update its widgets to iOS 14 then I wouldn’t want them around to be honest

2 Likes

Agree, but maybe give them three-six months before phasing them out.

1 Like

From my vantage point, now that Post-It Notes has updated their widget to something more functional and colorful on iPadOS, I would really like Apple to update the OS so that I can finally move a larger widget out in the main apps and folders area… :frowning:

1 Like

I would also love the option of turning off the date/time in the widgets area… wasted default space.

2 Likes

Old style widgets are more interactive than iOS 14 widgets on the iPhone. For the time being, iOS 14 widgets are merely displaying information (apart from Apple’s shortcuts, as far as I know).

For example, in Fantastical, the old style widget allows me to select a day and display its appointments. In Omnifocus’ widget, I can check a task as done directly, without opening the app. This can’t be done in iOS 14 for the time being.

Strange as it may seem, some old style widgets are more powerful than the modern ones. In my opinion, until Apple adds this functionality to iOS 14, home widgets should stay put.

5 Likes

Hold your horses! There’s at least one widget in my legacy widgets area (what are we calling that zone?) that I suspect might not see an update any time soon, but I’m really going to miss if it’s forced out… there’s nothing wrong with the widget as it is, and I’ll be happy to keep it around for as long as I can!

2 Likes

Couldn’t help myself but I’m probably going back to something simpler.

8 Likes

You really should be able to replace an app icon if you want to without creating these convoluted Shortcuts launchers. Maybe iOS 20.

5 Likes

I like having my Today screen with the more interactive widgets. If I’m in another app besides the Home Screen, I can just swipe down to see a widget. Otherwise, I’d have to go back to the Home Screen to refer to a widget then jump back into my app.

I like an app and widget free Home Screen for peace of mind. And I love the Photos widget on my home screen. It’s really improved my joy about using my iPhone and it does a great job of just digging up random photos that I love of friends and family

4 Likes

With all that space you could use the bigger Photos widget :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have a photo on my screen that I enjoy and change every week :blush:

2 Likes

Here’s my home screens before I look at anything else in this thread.

Okay, now I’m gonna read this thread, probably spend a little bit of money and a whole lot of time.

4 Likes

My current Home Screen:

6 Likes

What is the name of the app that you’re using to keep track of years, months, weeks?

Can you share your wallpaper pls.

I like it! I like it! How did you do it?

I’d like to know how you got 18 icons in what appears to be a widget. Can you share your secret?

Looks like Launcher. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/launcher-with-multiple-widgets/id905099592

1 Like

OmniFocus, Due, and Todoist :flushed:

1 Like