iPad mini excitement

Now that’s a neat idea. I do have to wonder if AirPlaying FaceTime would create any audio/video sync issues, though.

1 Like

I would watch the @RosemaryOrchard video on Twit TV re. Focus modes and create home screens based on focus modes.

This way you can create a multi use device catered to any need and switch in a moment.

My Mini has yet to arrive but I am playing on my Pro to create “multiple iPads” using focus modes. Haven’t found the ideal modes yet, but like what Focus Modes can do. All you don’t use just disappears in the background (app library):

1. Work iPad (Office365, Teams, Zoom, work email)
  2. Read iPad (Kindle, Apple Books, Press Reader, Discourse, Blinkist, Instapaper, Reeder)
  3. Watch iPad (Live TV, Plex, Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+, Youtube, Vimeo, iPlayer etc)
  4. Game iPad (Arcade and more)
  5. Messaging iPad (Signal, Telegram, Twitter, Messages, email) No access to these apps and their notifications in other focus modes as so to make the use of these apps deliberate
7 Likes

It’s the first use case I will try when the mini finally arrives. We have been asked to buy a facebook portal for video comms and I don’t want one for obvious reasons …

This setup would do pretty much the same at least from our end.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes!

My dog is my multifunctional procrastination machine…

2 Likes

The Mini form factor is awesome. Sadly my eyesight now does not really make it that comfortable for me, but I had the retina mini and it was ideal as a device to use while commuting!

I’ve had my mini for a couple of days and I am enjoying it quite a bit. Yesterday I tossed it into a Waterfield Marquis and headed down to the River Market for lunch. The mini definitely excelled as an out and about iPad. It’s also been a great couch tablet while I’m watching TV. Haven’t got a chance to test it as a notetaking machine yet, which was the other major use case I had in mind. Thumbs up so far! :+1:

3 Likes

The last time I owned iPad mini was in 2013. I forgot how much I loved this form factor. I’ve also had the new mini for a couple of days and it’s now my all-time favourite iPad! It’s the perfect at-home and out and about device.

I used my 11 Pro in portrait most of the time and it hurt my hands. It was just too big for that use case during long periods. The mini is just right.

2 Likes

this is my dilemma, I have the 11 inch pro which I love, so I am not sure if there is room for a mini although I really want one. Would be really interested in your use cases for both iPads over the next couple of weeks

Mine is still a month out. Just had an order update from Apple, which said it will be delivered in 31 days! I thought I ordered soon after the keynote, but apparently many orders have gone in before mine.

Maybe I should have waited for the shop launch and pick one up in the Apple Store.

Now all I can do is reading reviews in envy :grin:

Getting one from an Apple store is still an option.

Might go and have a look later this week…

1 Like

I guess one of them was my order :wink: , my mini 256 GB arrived at Amac on Friday and I picked it up.

Yesterday I used it for a Teams meeting and I could really see an enormous difference with the old mini. The lighting was overexposed with the old one and with my new mini it was good. As it was a short meeting I didn’t see Centre Stage in action.

The funny thing is that I need to get used to the new position of touch ID, for some reason I expect it has Face ID as my iPhone. I guess because there is no home button. When I see the pasword login I think, oh I have to touch the power button to unlock.

I don’t know if I buy a pencil, I have a first generation pencil, but I hardly used it.

The main reason for buying it is that I use it as a travel device, I hope next year I will normalise travel again, so a better mini is a nice thing to have with me.

1 Like

Yep. Same here.

I went from a 10.5 inch pro to an 11 inch pro, having the pencil attached via magnet and always charged means you use it a lot more than the apple pencil 1st Gen. I would say get one.

1 Like

OK, I knew joining this forum was going to be expensive for me. I have a space grey 64gb cellular version arriving this weekend. Now, did everyone go for the standard Apple folio case or can anyone recommend another case?

2 Likes

I’ll be getting one as soon as the new year arrives and my personal development account at work refills.

Too bad there is no magic keyboard, but a bluetooth keyboard will work fine.

Smart Folio here. I like it.

If price is the issue, there are tons of knockoffs on eBay that are perfectly fine. This time around I financed the Mini via Apple so I just grabbed the Apple Folio. It is a very nice case. But I’ve owned the eBay ones for previous iPads, and they’re fine too. :slight_smile:

How do you like the Marquis? I’m assuming you have the “Plus” size?

I’m actually looking for a bag for this very purpose (EDC with iPad Mini), and so far I’m eyeing either the Aer Day Sling, the Tom Bihn Side Kick, or (now) the Marquis.

Is it easy to get the iPad in and out? Anything you don’t like about it?